FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you like to live close to beaches?

lovescience
deanhills
ABSOLUTELY!!!! My greatest thrill during my holiday in Ecuador was the Pacific Coast. I just felt so much more alive when I was around it. Then last weekend during my quickie visit to Oman and the Gulf of Oman coast, same thing happened to me. I love the coast. And I love beaches. I wish I could live near or on a beach, but need work to support myself. I should do something however to at least move closer to one. Particularly since my work may be coming to an end here in a year or two.
sudipbanerjee
Actually I love Hill area. So I mainly goes to Hill area for travelling. I visited few beaches of our country like Digha, Puri, Vizag. But I didn't like them. In the last week I visited Puri with my family members. This time I feel some thrill in my mind. I spend a lot of time in Beach. I took seabath with my wife and younger brother. I like it. I hope in near future I will be able to love beaches as much as hills.
deanhills
I like mountains to Sudi. I'd love to visit the Hill areas in India one day.
RosenCruz
Wish I could. I live in the heart of winter, no sea, no lake no nothing Mad
spinout
Hm, yes. But I will in 50 years...!!! The ice melts and rise the waterlevels and in 50 years my land will be very close to water! Funny and true - please warm the earth more! Confused
D'Artagnan
what do you call close?
for my girlfriend who is from 1000km away from here we are close to the beaches (80km), for my dad we are too farway since he loves beaches... i don't like beaches very much
coolclay
I do until a tsunami/hurricane comes, and then it's not so nice!
Cosmoslayer
With the recent earthquake, typhoon, and tsunami calamities that had come, I don't think so. Sad
mshafiq
yes i like to live near beech.i want to have my own home near beech.it will be very amazing and wonder full.
standready
Does being 25 miles away from Lake Michigan count? Ocean beaches are a long trip here.
zaxacongrejo
Yes I do but is bad for houses, cars etc because of salt and humidity
But its good for surfing; eat good fish, night life
saratdear
Yes I do...I live around 15 min away from the beach in Chennai.

It's great fun - more so because it is the default hangout place when there is nothing to do.
watersoul
I've always lived 5 minutes walk max from a beach somewhere on Britain, would take a huge financial incentive for me to ever move my life inland.
grofet
beach temperature is very hot in tropical beach, so i dont like live on beach.
sudipbanerjee
deanhills wrote:

Dear Deanhills, There are various tourist spot in Hill areas of India. To complete travel all this spot will took a life long. which place you want to visit?
Insanity
I've been living in beach towns all my life. I can't imagine living in an area that is completely land locked and there isn't a major body of water nearby. It makes me feel homesick when I can't see the Atlantic Ocean.
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Dear Deanhills, There are various tourist spot in Hill areas of India. To complete travel all this spot will took a life long. which place you want to visit?
Which are the nicest Hill posts? Not too far from civilization and an airport.
sudipbanerjee
deanhills wrote:
sudipbanerjee wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Which are the nicest Hill posts? Not too far from civilization and an airport.

Himalayan ranges covered lot of areas of India. Many of them are not far from civilization. I didn't able to cover all of them. But from my personal point of view three areas are most beautiful: i) Jammu- Kashmir; ii) Uttaranchal (Haridwar, Kedar, Badri); iii)West Bengal and Sikkim. You may cover any one of them.
deanhills
Thanks Sudi, I'll look them up. Sikkim sounds very attractive. Probably in the summer months though. I can only guess it would be almost impassable with snow during the winter months?
metalfreek
You wouldn't believe me how desperate I am to see the beach. I am from a land locked country and there are no sea or oceans in my country. I am 26 and I am yet to see the beach. I really hope its as good as I imagine it to be. I am planning to go to Goa beach and can't wait for it. Let's see how much time it will take me to go there. But fortunately, I live on a mountainous country so have have seen most of 8000m + mountain except Everest. At least thats something. Smile
rjraaz
I love to live close to the beaches. It is very good for our health to live close to the coast/beaches.

But, White people like to live close to beach areas because they love to do water fun activities (like swimming, kayaking,canoeing, sailing) and of-course these places are perfect to read.
Gregoric
I'd love to live closer to any sea or river ar any lake. Unfortunately, I am living in large metropoly where only rivers are always dirty and stink Wink.

Yeah, living near a beach is great thing. My only occasions to live so are when I go for holiday somewhere over some coast Wink
playfungames
I would love to live in a place where the beach is really close. But unfortunately my country does not even have beaches. We are not connected to any sea. I was lucky enough to hang out on beaches around two times during my last vacation.
sudipbanerjee
deanhills wrote:
Thanks Sudi, I'll look them up. Sikkim sounds very attractive. Probably in the summer months though. I can only guess it would be almost impassable with snow during the winter months?

Dear Deanhills my first name is Sudip not Sudi. Yes Sikkim is very beautiful. You may come in winter also. I have visited Sikkim in three times: one in December which is Winter here. But in December you may not cover all parts of Sikkim.
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Dear Deanhills my first name is Sudip not Sudi. Yes Sikkim is very beautiful. You may come in winter also. I have visited Sikkim in three times: one in December which is Winter here. But in December you may not cover all parts of Sikkim.
Apologies Sudip, promise I won't forget. You can call me Dean as well. What is the weather like up in Sikkim in December? I.e. temperature and rain wise.
sudipbanerjee
deanhills wrote:
sudipbanerjee wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Apologies Sudip, promise I won't forget. You can call me Dean as well. What is the weather like up in Sikkim in December? I.e. temperature and rain wise.

Dear Dean, don't be apologized. Its just a comment. Normally in December their is no chance of rain. Main tourist centre of Sikkim is its capital town 'Gangtok'. You have to travel Sikkim based this city. Normally in December the temperature of this city in night becomes 3-4 degree C. In other areas temperature it become 0 and its lower degree C. Anyway how many days you may manage to come Sikkim?
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:

Dear Dean, don't be apologized. Its just a comment. Normally in December their is no chance of rain. Main tourist centre of Sikkim is its capital town 'Gangtok'. You have to travel Sikkim based this city. Normally in December the temperature of this city in night becomes 3-4 degree C. In other areas temperature it become 0 and its lower degree C. Anyway how many days you may manage to come Sikkim?
Thanks for the detailed reply Sudip. I'd have gone for say about four days, however 3-4 degrees are quite cold. I'll make some enquiries for flights as at this time of the year it may be VERY expensive to travel.
inuyasha
Definitely! My hometown is a coastal city~ But I live in an inland city now. I guess most people would like to~ The ocean attracts lots of people~
lvnvmatt
I wish I could afford it Smile
jsk02a
I prefer to live/spend time in the mountains. I think beaches are too hot and can be annoying with tourists everywhere. I like to visit them sometimes, but I am definitely more of a mountain person!
sudipbanerjee
deanhills wrote:
sudipbanerjee wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply Sudip. I'd have gone for say about four days, however 3-4 degrees are quite cold. I'll make some enquiries for flights as at this time of the year it may be VERY expensive to travel.

4 days! If you come through flight then you have to reach in Bagdogra Airport first. Please check whether any International Flight directly came in Bagdogra or not. By road you may reach at Gangtok from Bagdogra in around 7 hours. You may go Gangtok-Pelling or Gangtok-Yumthang. But I didn't sure whether road to Yumthang will be clear or not. I will try to collect information regarding this.
deanhills
sudipbanerjee wrote:
deanhills wrote:
sudipbanerjee wrote:

4 days! If you come through flight then you have to reach in Bagdogra Airport first. Please check whether any International Flight directly came in Bagdogra or not. By raod you may reach at Gangtok from Bagdogra in around 7 hours. You may go Gangtok-Pelling or Gangtok-Yumthang. But I didn't sure whether road to Yumthang will be clear or not. I will try to collect information regarding this.
Right. four days don't look like a good idea. Probably better to make a bigger holiday out of it over the summer holidays.
sudipbanerjee
deanhills wrote:
sudipbanerjee wrote:
deanhills wrote:
sudipbanerjee wrote:

4 days! If you come through flight then you have to reach in Bagdogra Airport first. Please check whether any International Flight directly came in Bagdogra or not. By raod you may reach at Gangtok from Bagdogra in around 7 hours. You may go Gangtok-Pelling or Gangtok-Yumthang. But I didn't sure whether road to Yumthang will be clear or not. I will try to collect information regarding this.
Right. four days don't look like a good idea. Probably better to make a bigger holiday out of it over the summer holidays.

Yes try to come for at least 7 days. Then you will enjoy Sikkim
Vanilla
Well, I'm not close enough... Right now, the closest beach is about 130 km far from where I live, but tis not my only problem. Since I have a ridiculously low blood pressure, I feel very sick whenever I'm at sea level and I need some time before getting accustomed to my new blood pressure.

Still, my biggest dream is to buy a Caribbean island so I can play dictator. Very Happy

Bonus: my favorite beach. This is Ponta Negra Beach, the white sand id covered by the high tide. I love this place so much, the water is turquoise-colored and so warm, I use to spend the whole day swimming... This huge dune in the background is called Bald's Hill.

P.S.: If you people want to know Brazilian beaches, I would love to suggest some beautiful places to you. Wink
sudipbanerjee
What a beauty! I wish someday I will go there.
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:
P.S.: If you people want to know Brazilian beaches, I would love to suggest some beautiful places to you. Wink
I'd love to hear about great Brazilian beaches, along the lines you've just shown to us. It's beautiful and the sand just the right colour for me too. Remote with not too many people on the beach.
Vanilla
deanhills wrote:
I'd love to hear about great Brazilian beaches, along the lines you've just shown to us. It's beautiful and the sand just the right colour for me too. Remote with not too many people on the beach.

If you even got the chance, go to Porto de Galinhas. Ponta Negra is a very known beach and it is inside a big city. But Porto de Galinhas, although famous, tis not but a fishermen's village. It's true that you can find a handful of resorts, but it got plenty of deserted beaches. To be fair I got lost when I was taking a walk and I couldn't find my way back to the hotel, then it got dark and I couldn't find anyone to ask for directions... The place is full with Italians, apparently the fell in love with the place (who wouldn't??) and moved there. That's why you'll find some great pizzerias there haha! I remember they elected one of Porto de Galinha's beaches as the most beautiful one in Brasil. The beach is called Muro Alto.

deanhills
Looks like exactly my kind of beach Vanilla. Thanks for posting that beautiful photo.
deanhills
Today when I was in Dubai, and thinking of this thread. remembered some photos I'd taken of Jumeirah Beach (on the Persian Gulf) a few weeks ago. Jumeirah Beach is a well to do upmarket area of Dubai. The beach I photographed is very close to my dentist as well as the famous Burj Al Arab that was built offshore on an artificial island. The beach was almost empty as people prefer to visit the beaches to the south where there are more facilities like showers and refreshments.

Here are some photos I took on 16 November:

The main beach area. There are plenty of these beaches down Jumeirah Beach. The wheel tracks on the sand were made a few minutes earlier by a Dubai Police Land Cruiser. All of the beaches are well looked after. From a cleanliness and a safety point of view.

The famous Burj Al Arab North of the beach area I photographed.

My favourite spot of the beach. Nice to spend some time on the rocks, checking out boats, birds, what not. Notice how clear the water is.

People doing sports at 8:00 a.m. in the morning:

Vanilla
@ Dean
How's the water temperature in Dubai? Are women allowed to wear bikinis in these beaches?? I would love to go to Dubai!
deanhills
Vanilla wrote:
@ Dean
How's the water temperature in Dubai? Are women allowed to wear bikinis in these beaches?? I would love to go to Dubai!
Not only are they allowed to wear bikinis, but I see some of them going for walks down the beach only in a bikini and with no wrapping on. Looking pretty spectacular. Water is always fantastic, not too cold, not too warm, just right. May be cooler for diving during winter, but still warm in comparison with the Atlantic and Pacific of course. November to February are good months to visit. All of the other months are OK, except for lots of heat as well as Ramadan during July/August. I like the summer months for diving, as it is always cooler when one goes out in a boat, and one doesn't have to wear a wet suit. Skinsuit is more than OK. One would need a wet suit during winter time.
Vanilla
deanhills wrote:
Not only are they allowed to wear bikinis, but I see some of them going for walks down the beach only in a bikini and with no wrapping on. Looking pretty spectacular. Water is always fantastic, not too cold, not too warm, just right. May be cooler for diving during winter, but still warm in comparison with the Atlantic and Pacific of course. November to February are good months to visit. All of the other months are OK, except for lots of heat as well as Ramadan during July/August. I like the summer months for diving, as it is always cooler when one goes out in a boat, and one doesn't have to wear a wet suit. Skinsuit is more than OK. One would need a wet suit during winter time.

Thank you Dean! I still can't believe the water in Dubai is warm. If I visit, I'll be sure to come during summer months! Very Happy
linux1993
lovescience wrote:
Yeah, sky near the beaches is very clean. I can see a lot of big white clouds flowing in the sky. Very beautiful. Besides, I can enjoy wind from sea. So cool
TheGremlyn
I would LOVE to live by a beach! I used to go to one in the middle of the night. The moon was out, the sky was clear, the sands had been cleaned and raked and I just sat there listening to the water and felt the wind blow throw my hair (it was longer back then). I miss going there and I wish someday I could do that again.

In addition to wanting to live by the beach I would also love to have a dense forest behind my house with a small waterfall and pond/steam in the middle. My kind of paradise.
LxGoodies
lovescience wrote:

Aahhh yes I would love to have a little house, or e.g. manage a beach pavillion, on the Ameland beach

Who knows in 20-30 years I'll have the money for it.. I'd love to start e.g. a beach restaurant, where people can enjoy dinner while the sun sets..

Lx Boo hoo!
nickfyoung
There is something special about having a water view. Probably because it is always changing and moving and sparkling. I had an idea once and have never tried it out but it would make for an ideal house on the water lifestyle. You need an acreage to start and it could be a cheap piece of land swampy or otherwise because you are going to have a bull dozer work on it for a week or two. When he is finished you have a lake dug out with the soil built up around the lake to give you nice high dry ground. When the lake is full of water, you will probably need a stream feeding it to keep it full, then you build your house right on the edge with your BBQ deck right out over the water. Water views fore ever. If it is a hot summer area build on the side opposite the prevailing breezes and install a very high water fountain in the center of your lake. The breeze will blow cooled air onto your deck. Stock your lake with fish and catch them as you need them and have water craft at your deck jetty for fun. I knew some people who did it and they fed the wild life on the lake surrounds so they had deer and kangaroos to look at every evening as well.
bukaida
Definitely I will love to live near the beach as far as there is no cyclone or Tsunami Very Happy
Bennelong
I have two huts near beach, If you have need on rent the also contact me?
foumy6
I personally don't because I have naturally curly hair, which I hate and often straighten. When I am close to water it is often too humid, and my hair tends to curl more and refuse to be straightened. Plus I am just not really a beach person.
deanhills
I'm on holiday close to a beach right now. Don't think I'd mind living here. It's in Jeffrey's Bay, South Africa.

Deline
I was raised in a beach city until I went to college...I liked it very much, it was great to walk around the sea when I got nothing to do...My parents still living there, and the only thing I don't like is the traffic on holidays and weekends =/
Radar
Relatively near the beach. For the cool winds aspect, and the feeling that you're not trapped inland somewhere.

Not actually waterfront.
linux1993
Of course, with house close to the beach. I can breathe fresh air and see blue cloud. Always has a wonderful feeling.
onebadpenny
There is no way I would ever live more than an hour's drive from the beach. And that's outside time limit. I'd much rather be within throwing distance of the water, truth be told. Pretty sure I would die living landlocked. Don't know how anyone does it..
Very Happy
Ankhanu
onebadpenny wrote:
There is no way I would ever live more than an hour's drive from the beach. And that's outside time limit. I'd much rather be within throwing distance of the water, truth be told. Pretty sure I would die living landlocked. Don't know how anyone does it..
Very Happy

I would prefer this too... but... it's not seeming likely I'll be able to find work near a coast. Most jobs I've been applying for have been in the interior of the country... 'cause that's where they are. I did find one job advertising locally, though, that I'll be applying for. Hopefully I can stay near the ocean Wink
TheGremlyn
I think I'll work a beach house into my master plan. I'm going to work away at the Help Desk, work my way up the pay scale and maybe get into management (time and training!) and save up. I'll have my main place that's close to work and I'll eventually have a little place on a beach that I can go to on the weekends and when I'm on vacation. I'd totally make the drive just so I could get the view and just sit back and relax with a book and a drink... Maybe by then Mynx will be able to sit out with me on a harness.
raaeft1
I visited Pondicherry in 1992 and was fascinated by the beach there. One of my life's goals is to settle in Pondicherry and live in a house near the lovely beach.
deanhills
TheGremlyn wrote:
I think I'll work a beach house into my master plan. I'm going to work away at the Help Desk, work my way up the pay scale and maybe get into management (time and training!) and save up. I'll have my main place that's close to work and I'll eventually have a little place on a beach that I can go to on the weekends and when I'm on vacation. I'd totally make the drive just so I could get the view and just sit back and relax with a book and a drink... Maybe by then Mynx will be able to sit out with me on a harness.
Nice plan. Cool Reminds me I'm overdue for a weekend break and am looking at getting to the beach. Am thinking of Fujairah which is on the East Coast of the UAE, not that far from Oman.

UKbeys
I love living close to the beach, but why? Well, the thing I love about beaches is not just the sheer, natural beauty of them, but the deeper meaning. The fact I could just get up leave at any moment, the sea is just like a big exit... inviting you in. The fact that swimming in the sea is such a different feel to in a pool, the saltyness of the water and the sound. Everyone should live by the beach, it's helped me a lot.
deanhills
Can't believe it, almost two months after and I still haven't done a trip any where. Got to get moving again! Fujairah still sounds like a great idea. Beach, water, boat, diving.
AndySmith
I would like to spend my holidays in beaches but dont want to live close to it. I love to live in hill areas.
sysna
Permanently no but temporary yes, i just don't like to be always near to sea because sea can be really frightening specially in winter, also in summer houses beside the sea will always suffer from high humidity, i really dislike high humidity and it just drives me crazy so i can't live near sea permanently but i may want to be a month near to see in Spring which i think is the best season of the sea.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:

Yes, please. let's go together. I love complex and interesting cultures, and I've always wanted to go to India and Asia.

Oh, and I'm landlocked in Lexington, KY. I would love more time at the beach. I like to go there on vacation.
deanhills
Well, maybe I should make a move to the beach for part of the summer at least. I'm landlocked too, in the middle of the desert and hot heat.
chasbeen
I live a few miles from the beech, I visited 2 different ones this weekend,
I can't afford a house on the beech on the South Eastern coastline of the uk though,
johans
lovescience wrote:

I love too... if there is a cheaper area to purchase here in Philippines. Most area near beaches is so highcost.
deanhills
Would have been wonderful to go diving in Egypt, but doesn't seem to be a good idea right now. Checked out other beaches for my summer holidays, like Aqaba in Jordan - just MUCH too hot and humid at this time. Also expensive. Thailand beaches aren't always pristine. Indonesia is too hot as well. Fiji and Hawaii too far. So may turn into a non beach holiday perhaps. At this stage any way. Thinking of traveling to Vancouver, Canada instead for some fresh air.
chasbeen
Spain in August for a week will be nice. Me Dads old villa will be a haven until it has to be sold,
seany
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Yes I do but is bad for houses, cars etc because of salt and humidity
But its good for surfing; eat good fish, night life

If you're going to San Francisco, bring a parka. They say it's colder here (58 F )than the North Pole ( 86 F) Winters are not much better.
The Pacific Ocean is the world's largest refrigerator.
spinout
i will in a 100 years or so,,, hoping for the global warming to happen asap so I get the sea in close. we have a slight problem though... The land is still moving upward since the ice age...
Hello_World
No but I'd love to. I live an hour from a beach.
jajarvin
I do not like to live on the beach. There's always windy and the sea, lake or river, over time, lead to the proximity of moisture damage in buildings.

Instead, I could really imagine living close to the beach. Let's say about 500 meters from the cost line.
oliviafoster01
Yes definately love to stay near beaches.Even I live near beaches.Can relax yourself whenever you want to do.
Aliciawillems
Yes, Sure i love to stay near the beaches ..because here you can see beautiful and amazing views ..and its reduce the stress on your mind and change your boring mood to see the beach environment ...
jackbreat
Hmm...I love to stay near the beaches..i remember my spending vacation in orange beach (Alabama) ..Its really awesome time in my life..I had lot of fun in Orange beach..there are lot of amazing and interesting things ..
Blaster
I'm about an hour away from the Jersey Shore. (Not the fake TV show either) I love living close enough that I can drive down for the day or spend a week or so down there. My family has a place in Wildwood so we are down there all the time. Great place to be and I love just being able to take a week to sit around by the ocean and do nothing.

And for all of you that don't know the Jersey Shore has been called just that long before the show came around. The show takes place in more of a Northern part of the state than where I go. Its not really like that.
pravojednostavno
I live close to the beach and i love it, the only thing I am more into high mountains. Beach and mountains beside is an appropriate place to live for me
carleyadriana
After recent vacation near Destin beaches really love to have my own house their . enjoyed a lot with family and specially the view at evening time awesome
Pippo90
No, I would prefer to live among mountains. Usually there are also less people, which is better for me.
kevinwade01
Its too noisy their , I don't like to live near beaches
Nyasro
I like to live near beaches , seeing ocean full of water in the morning will be great
Blaster
pravojednostavno wrote:
I live close to the beach and i love it, the only thing I am more into high mountains. Beach and mountains beside is an appropriate place to live for me

Live about an hour and a half from both.
watersoul
Blaster wrote:
Live about an hour and a half from both.
Live next to a beach with Dartmoor less than an hour away. Highest point is only 621 metres above sea-level (2,037 ft for any non-metric members) but hey I can't change the landscape of this area of England so I just enjoy what we have Smile
Blaster
I'm about an hour from Ocean City New Jersey and about an hour away from the Pocono mountains. Its nice to be able to go to both. I lived in the mountains while I was away at school for 2 years and it was cool to see snow on one mountain while it was just raining where we were. I do miss the mountains especially in the fall when all the leaves are changing colors.
pravojednostavno
I live around 300 meters away from the beach.
deanhills
I'm craving for a beach holiday. Been away from a beach for MUCH too long.
RosenCruz
I m basically living in the Heart of Winter for my country. Wish I could live a little closer to beaches Crying or Very sad
smith89kelly
Yes, i like to live close to beaches. I wish, i could afford it.