FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

windows 8 comparison with 7

ghazanfar233
what about modification to windows 8.. im a gammer and i only want games , will windows 8 will be perfect for me or should i stay on windows 7. but i want to change interference.. give me suggestions..
mathiaus
What games do you play? It varies but in general is pretty much the same as Windows 7. For me, playing BF3, there is no real difference.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-8-gaming-performance,3331-13.html
As this article also explains, for some games there are compatibility issues, but there could also be some with your hardware drivers as well, so check that first.

Why do you want the new interface so much? Do you have a touch screen already? Razz
twotrophy
The main difference between Windows 7 and 8 is that Windows 8 has a new desktop interface system although the features are quite similar compared to Windows 7. You can also switch to the traditional desktop interface if you want to. Because the features are quite similar, there is no problem with playing games using the new Windows version. The long awaited Windows app Store has been released. Has anyone tried the Windows App Store? How is it compared to the Mac App Store?
nirav07
there is almost no difference in performance between this 2 operating system.
main difference is that some drivers are compatible with windows 8 as of now
egclimo
At the end of last quarter, my laptop suffered a slow and agonizing death by drowning. It was stupidity on my part, but I got a new computer out of it (huzzah!). I was thrilled when I found out my new computer would have Windows 8, because all the advertisements between episodes of my “Castle” marathon made the new interface look super exciting!

Those advertisements are misleading.

Windows 8 is one of those interfaces that look really cool on advertisements, but appears to be designed more with touchscreen laptops in mind. I am running Windows 8 on a 4 GB Pentium processor Acer that is trying to support Windows 8 and isn’t doing all that great a job. In the era of instant gratification, I don’t want to wait 30 seconds on the clock for an app to load when I could wait 2 seconds, and Windows 8 is supposedly pretty speedy. I imagine Windows 8 would be more exciting on an i7 processor that could actually support it and run it more efficiently.

Processors aside, Windows 8 is surprisingly complicated to operate. For example, it suffers from a bulky Start page. The computer boots up to this Start page, which is a page of solid colored blocks called “tiles” that are shortcuts to apps, websites, and programs. There are a bunch of preloaded apps, like “Maps” and “People” and my personal favorite, “Store,” where you can buy more apps and tiles to put on your Start page. There are also other like “newsXpresso” and “Ebay” and “Chacha,” none of which do anything the Internet couldn’t already do. People is an interesting app; it allows you to sync your Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Google, Hotmail, and Outlook accounts all to this one app that will have all the people in your life and the various ways to contact them all in one place. However, the apps are a bit annoying, and can slow down the computer.
andro_king
Lot's of new features under the hood.
1). Faster hybrid boot
2). Native mounting of ISO files
3). Much better chkdsk
4). Built in Hyper-V client
5). Storage Spaces
6). Built in AV, deeper integration to prevent malware
7). Better dual monitor support

The real kick in the balls is having to use the new UI, deal with crap like the charms bar, and accept the ugly as hell 2D non-aero look. A few people really love these changes, but I think the overwhelming majority don't necessarily care for them.
Dharator
I personally prefer windows 7 and its because microsoft basically made this OS for tablet and touchscreens, users are given no way around it Microsoft has made sure of that fact. And, in many ways, there’s no way around it for Microsoft, either. The company has decided that users cannot have dissimilar Windows experiences across desktops, tablets, smartphones, but refuses (or can’t) cut the cord of the traditional desktop experience just yet.

Unlike Windows 7, you can't do a full upgrade from any of the preview versions of Windows 8; you'll need to either restore your previous version of Windows from a backup, do an upgrade that only keeps your files or do a clean installation.

This option only appears with Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro; if you have the Enterprise version, you have to upgrade from another Enterprise edition of Windows, and the previews of Windows 8 were all Windows 8 Pro, so the only option is a clean install.

My advise to you is keep windows 7, 8 is good but that OS is more for apps and social media rather than games, if you have a tablet, there is where you should install windows 8
badai
andro_king wrote:
1). Faster hybrid boot
3). Much better chkdsk
5). Storage Spaces

The real kick in the balls is having to use the new UI, deal with crap like the charms bar, and accept the ugly as hell 2D non-aero look. A few people really love these changes, but I think the overwhelming majority don't necessarily care for them.

this is the kind of information i'm looking for. thanks a lot.
limpands
I actually think games is running faster on the Windows 8, but it depends on the type of game you are going to play.
If you're going to play a small Java game, Minecraft etc, i think Windows 7 is better; but if you're going to play games like Battlefield 3, Call of Duty etc i would recommend Windows 8.

I don't actually use Windows a lot and that's because i don't like products made by Bill Gates(or Microsoft), i use Linux instead; just because the fact that it's free and is developed by people all around the world thanks to the open source code.

Remember what i said: Java games = Windows 7, Bigger games, BF3 etc, = Windows 8.
zimmer
as of the moment i will stick first to window 7 since my hardware is not maximized if i will upgrade to windows 8.

It is good if my screen is touch but i am working comfortable with windows 7 now.. Hopefully i will try the GOOGLE OPERATING SYSTEM ..
metalfreek
Well if you are a Gamer than I will suggest that you stay away from windows 8 a year or so. There are no proper drivers available for windows 8 and some games might have compatibility issues with new OS.
riteshk1
Well still i am using window 7 but window 8 is an updated version of window 7 then 8 is more good and updated.
moncong
if you have touch screen you may consider for 8
sysna
andro_king wrote:
1). Faster hybrid boot
3). Much better chkdsk
5). Storage Spaces

Now i list what it does worst :

1) The worst search compared even to win 98
2) The worst UI ever (Example: click on wireless/network icon in taskbar opens a UI which belongs to metro where right click doesn't mean anything. but what about other icons ? no they won't go to metro UI so what is this ? why clicking on network opens metro UI while clicking on others like sound icon gives you old win7 style ? it seems microsoft has just released an unfinished OS !)
3) No Aero
4) No Start menu (which win 8.1 tries to bring it back somehow but not completely)
5) Worst internet explorer in metro mode
6) Worst way for accessing your installed programs (if you do not place its shortcut on desktop as there is no start menu you have to access it using metro which is just painful !)

Conclusion : Not good for working with mouse/keyboard Also not good for working with touch screens ! Microsoft really needs to think (which seems they don't in recent years) , there should be two versions of win 8. one with metro UI for touch screens, one without any touch screen related stuff for laptop/pc and other things that do not have touch screen.
deloria
Is anyone here thinking of trying out Windows 8 when 8.1 is out this week?
LxGoodies
Plusses: fast boot (compared to 7) nice, but this is not only software thing. Using SD-RAM helps.. and dual monitor works better indeed. Haven't used chkdsk in years, but if it's better, ok !

But I don't like the UI. i got used to start bar and Start button on the bottom left ! Now I only see app icons there.. and the pop-in settings on the right are vanilla ihmo

Quote:
1) The worst search compared even to win 98

I noticed that one too.. also on 7.. very inconvenient, when you want to locate a file, also in Windows 7. On the same directories, Windows 2008 and Windows 2000 and even XP were faster on the search !

Quote:
2) The worst UI ever

My example: from the "start" desktop, there is no configuration screen in Settings. You'll have to enter the app desktop to access it. Top-down thinking, this is very counter-intuitive.

Quote:
if you do not place its shortcut on desktop

This is what I do now, to work around the absent Start-button issue. Remember Windows 3.1 Razz

Or leave the platform alltogether.. in fact I prefer OS-X. This provides a menu on top (!) and just a sidebar with a launcher.
william
To those missing the Start button, just install Classic Shell. It brings back the good old Windows 7 Start menu (and two others, including the classic Windows Start menu) and also adds a number of nice tweaks to Windows Explorer. I despised Windows 8 on my new laptop, but installing Classic Shell fixed the majority of my gripes. You don't even have to boot into the Metro UI, which is great.

There are still some things that annoy me (charm bar, lock screen, wireless network select, window styles), but at least my productivity isn't being as hampered anymore.
Pippo90
The main difference you will immediately notice is the lack of the Start menu, replaced by a new screen which is accessible by the Windows button on some keyboards or by clicking the left lower corner of the screen. It's optimized for touchscreens, but it's still very good for normal computers – IMHO, it's a better layout than the previous one. Indeed, with Windows 7 I ended up that I used to open the Start menu almost never (I opened everything from the desktop), while now this "new Start menu" has some sense again. Wink