FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Require E-mail verification

twotrophy
E-mail verification works by requiring users to click on a link in an e-mail sent by Frihost. This prevents the creation of spam accounts by slowing down the spammer. Another alternative is to send an account activation code via e-mail which is required to activate or use the account. Many websites such as Facebook uses this feature. The word verification on the account creation page only stops bots from creating spam accounts but not humans. Although spam cannot be completely stopped using this method, it could hopefully reduce the number of spam on Frihost by slowing down spammers. What do you think of this idea?
Possum
Is Spam a problem to the FriHost management....?
Ghost Rider103
I think the way users register could be changed a bit to stop spammers to some extent.

However I do think a large amount of spam from Frihost is actually coming from humans rather than bots. I'm sure there are probably a few bots though.

Perhaps when Bondings gets some free time we can work out a new signup system to help cut down on spam.

In the meantime, we'll have to keep dealing with it the old fashioned way. The best way you, as a user can help stop spam is by reporting spam posts and/or the users spamming.
deanhills
Thanks for the hard work Ghost Rider. Cool
nirav07
its too easy to spam a system without any security.
atleast email verification would stop large amount of un active users or spams
Surprised
zaxacongrejo
lol theres nothing that can stop them, email verification just makes them lose a litle more time
Peterssidan
What I don't like about email verification, captchas etc. is that they makes it harder for real users to sign up too. I think there are other ways to prevent spam that would be more effective.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I think there are other ways to prevent spam that would be more effective.
Which other ways do you favour?
Peterssidan
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
I think there are other ways to prevent spam that would be more effective.
Which other ways do you favour?

To prevent bots I think you could just shuffle the field names of the registration form so that the bot will fail to send the correct information. I mean if you for example switch the name of the confirm password field and the email field the bot should fail to give a valid email address and to verify his password because he sends an email as his password and a password as his email.

But I don't think bots is the biggest problem. Forbidding new users from posting links would be very effective. This could be done with the signatures too. We would need good error messages so that real users understand what is going on, and not just leaves in confusion.

Sometimes spammers edit posts to add spam links much later so that no one should notice them. If we forbid users from editing old posts or that the old post is automatically reported when being edited it could help prevent this kind of spam.
deanhills
Sounds like great ideas. I personally like this one for its simplicity. I.e. comparing pictures as per the example below.

http://peoplesign.com/main/officialDemo.html

I also like the suggestion about the links. Think Truespeed had a thread about it that eventually ran into more than a page.
twotrophy
PeopleSign seems to be getting more common. I noticed that many websites have replaced the traditional Captcha of entering blurred words into using PeopleSign. To me, PeopleSign is more annoying than Captcha although I would prefer PeopleSign.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
Sometimes spammers edit posts to add spam links much later so that no one should notice them.

What about typos ? I’m a typo king when i spot them i use to edit the post to fix it losing that ability makes no sense to me

Captcha easily bitten
Mail verification also
Bots here what for? Advertising? there’s always people online to check that cases
Peterssidan
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes spammers edit posts to add spam links much later so that no one should notice them.
What about typos ? I’m a typo king when i spot them i use to edit the post to fix it losing that ability makes no sense to me
I also edit my posts to correct typos. That's why I said old posts. People often correct typos right away, at least I do. When exactly should a post be considered old could be discussed but I don't think it should be less than 24 hours.

There are some cases when editing old posts make sense, specially in the miscellaneous categories, so that's why I suggested the auto report feature, but that has the disadvantage that it would increase the false positives that the moderators have to handle.
metalfreek
I personally prefer captcha and email verification to prevent spam. It would also be a great idea if new were not allowed to post a link of any kind unless they have 20 post. This should definitely help.

Besides these spams are not from bots alone, some people do create accounts to spam.
RosenCruz
A combination of Google Captcha and a few easy to answer questions would be fine. It worked on my own forum
Blummer
Got me mad a bit...Seen many spammers recently...Why so many spammers just posting random stuff not having anything to do with the thread?
zaxacongrejo
Does frihost really have a spam problem? i haven’t seen nothing that admins should really care,
i noticed the same person with different accounts posting a kind of long post with embedded links
But admins take care of cases like that easy i don’t think is a painful case
any way there are a lot of info’s that can be retrieved to block access to the forum to persons like that, I said forum because I doubt cases like php mass mail etc happen in frihost
SonLight
I went to the peoplesign site and think it is definitely easier to pass than most captchas. I would prefer that only a single image had to be matched, but if spam attacks are getting through then using two or either three would be reasonable.

I clicked on the "learn more about this picture" link and was taken to a sales site which seems unrelated. That left me with a bad impression, which the company ought to avoid in view of the fact that their solution is proprietary and adopters will need to trust that they will continue to play fair in the future. On the other hand the "what is this" link lead to a very useful faq page.