FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Running!

jsk02a
Recently I have become an avid runner. I signed up to run the annual half-marathon in Paris in March, and I am extremely excited about it. I am hoping next year to run a full marathon in either Warsaw or Paris in April.

Does anybody else really enjoy running, and if so, have you ever run a half or full marathon? I am looking at cool half/full marathons to run (preferably in Western Europe) this next year.

Why do you enjoy running, if you do?

For me, I think once I get past the 4-5 mile mark, it's extremely relaxing and gives me time to tune out the rest of the world. It's almost as if everything around me becomes crystal clear when I am running. I suppose that's all the endorphin and "runner's high", but I must say...I love it!
Peterssidan
I enjoy running, most of the time, but at this time of the year I lose much of the motivation because of the low outdoor temperature.

There is this yearly 6 km race that I often run. I haven't run any longer competitions. The longest distance I have run in training is 28 km.
jsk02a
Yes, I agree...the low temperature does kill my motivation and I don't enjoy running on treadmills.

Wow, 28km is a good distance though!
mshafiq
i also like running but i cannot run too fast and cannot run for long time.
Gabe
Hi all,Running is another source of lose weight and everyone want to show the six pack abs at beach and i am sure about that running is the best for six pack abs.
mshafiq
i also like running but i can not run for long time just few minutes,i like to run for long time but i can not, may be because of less habit of running.
loveandormoney
Some minutes later
I shall
bette
we shall leave the house
and go running and jumping
in the forest.

We dont run like most people do in plain areas
we prefer it in the forest.
It is more slow but we like to jump also and there is up and down.

Regards
rjraaz
As like others I also like running. It is good for health and wealth ( Laughing if you are pick pocket).
Vanilla
I used to run everyday, but then I took an arrow to my knee. Just kidding. I broke my leg and since then (2 years and a half) I never ran again. Except when I'm running from mad cows, but I don't think that counts. I'm trying to get back to running but I don't feel motivated at all. I'm always so tired and I know that I'm always this tired cause I don't exercise anymore. Oh I miss the high when I was running!

rjraaz wrote:
As like others I also like running. It is good for health and wealth ( Laughing if you are pick pocket).

Or if you work with Nelore cows. They are just like wild animals and they chase you so they can hit you with their pointy horns. Not pretty. Sad
jsk02a
Yes, running is an amazing way to lose weight...especially if coupled with a good diet. Everybody has a six pack, it just matters about how much fat is covering the abs! Smile
codegeek
I walk a lot, but not really with the intent of just walking, but to get to my college and back home. I have never really run as an exercise though. This post and all the positive comments got me excited. I want the runner's high as well, so I think I'm gonna start running in the mornings. How much should I start with?
rx9876
codegeek wrote:
I walk a lot, but not really with the intent of just walking, but to get to my college and back home. I have never really run as an exercise though. This post and all the positive comments got me excited. I want the runner's high as well, so I think I'm gonna start running in the mornings. How much should I start with?

Just run and slow down when you're uncomfortable.
The first time I went jogging, I ran only 1KM and decided to stop because I had a feeling of not getting enough air.
Just keep training like that, the body will be stronger day by day.
I could ran 10 KM after the first year, and I did not practice hard actually.
I think jogging is not a difficult sport, and the most important is perseverance.

If you want to get more encouragements,
you could read some books or watch some movies.

I'm reading Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen recently.

There are some quotes :
"You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running."

"The reason we race isn't so much to beat each other,... but to be with each other."

"But yeah, Ann [Trason] insisted, running was romantic; and no, of course her friends didn't get it because they'd never broken through. For them, running was a miserable two miles motivated solely by size 6 jeans: get on the scale, get depressed, get your headphones on, and get it over with. But you can't muscle through a five-hour run that way; you have to relax into it, like easing your body into a hot bath, until it no longer resists the shock and begins to enjoy it."
jsk02a
codegeek wrote:

The poster below you is absolutely correct. Running sucks at first, especially if you've never done it. It's very very hard to find motivation sometimes to get out and do it...but you just have to do it. I would say it takes about a month of solid running to get into the groove of it and start enjoying it. You won't get that endorphin high unless you get your distance and pace up, but that comes with time.

First, focus on putting one foot in front of the other for as long as you are comfortable. Next time, increase your mileage by a little at a time.

Don't get discouraged, you are going to be tired and sore for the first few weeks, but you just have to do it. You will notice a very fast improvement in your lung capacity and endurance...you will be able to run farther.

I would suggest attempting to try and get some sort of GPS device if it's affordable to you. I have an Iphone, so I just use an armband and the Nike+ app that helps me log all my mileage, tells me how far I have run, and the pace I am running at. Since September (when I began) I have logged over 200 miles, it's pretty cool when you see it add up like that!

If you can't afford something like that, don't stress. Run. Run to enjoy it, not to beat times or get in killer shape. Just run, and the rest will follow. Enjoy your environment, and weather (and road conditions permitting) always try to run outside. The treadmill will just get you down and is rather boring in my opinion.

The first step is getting out of the door.
ateawonton
about 4 1/2 miles a day but I still find it hard to keep the weight off. My mom keeps buying me ice cream even though I tell her not to, so I've started dumping it in the toilet and sometimes in the sink.
Peterssidan
ateawonton wrote:
about 4 1/2 miles a day but I still find it hard to keep the weight off. My mom keeps buying me ice cream even though I tell her not to, so I've started dumping it in the toilet and sometimes in the sink.

Isn't it better to refuse accepting the ice cream? If she knows you never eat it she will stop buying you ice cream eventually.
rogue_skydragon
I'd like to get into running myself. I'm into lifting weights at the gym, but I hardly ever hop on the treadmill or go jogging so my cardio is pretty lacking. I want to start running regularly, perhaps 3 miles a week, and work up my cardiovascular health so that I can participate in a 5K (there's a 5K in my town called Run or Dye, which should be fun because colored powder gets thrown at you as your running!). And then someday, a full 10K....
Simonjw
Vanilla wrote:
I used to run everyday, but then I took an arrow to my knee. Just kidding. I broke my leg and since then (2 years and a half) I never ran again. Except when I'm running from mad cows, but I don't think that counts. I'm trying to get back to running but I don't feel motivated at all. I'm always so tired and I know that I'm always this tired cause I don't exercise anymore. Oh I miss the high when I was running!

rjraaz wrote:

Or if you work with Nelore cows. They are just like wild animals and they chase you so they can hit you with their pointy horns. Not pretty. Sad

Running is a great source of fitness and is a very social thing. Like yourself Vanilla, I got injured, I actually snapped my knee joints when I played prop for the first time in a rugby match. I was out for around two years too and I am back on track now despite what doctors said. While being out for so long, you lose touch with the sport you were involved in and you can't really exercise with a broken or unusable leg. You really do let yourself go and it is terribly sad. I hope that you are now back into running at some sort of decent level.

Going down to your tiredness, it won't be just because you aren't exercising, but will also factor a lot on what you are eating in your daily life, what is missing from there and what are bad foods as well as your sleeping/resting patterns and times.

If you're back into running, great stuff and if you're not, push push push and you will get it. As for motivation, use music that pumps you up or any person who means something in your life that you want to be like and use that to fuel you. I wish you all the luck I can give you in getting back to a good daily standard of running
Simonjw
rogue_skydragon wrote:
I'd like to get into running myself. I'm into lifting weights at the gym, but I hardly ever hop on the treadmill or go jogging so my cardio is pretty lacking. I want to start running regularly, perhaps 3 miles a week, and work up my cardiovascular health so that I can participate in a 5K (there's a 5K in my town called Run or Dye, which should be fun because colored powder gets thrown at you as your running!). And then someday, a full 10K....

That is a big thing I see with just weight lifters who want to get to a decent size and who aren't really involved in any other sports. Cardiovascular exercise plays such a bigger role than you gaining muscle and looking big for the ladies. You can have heart problems due to this if your cardiovascular fitness is not high at all because you have to fuel the muscles with blood and sometimes your heart can't actually cope with the amount of blood needing to be pumped. This happens when you super set in your regime and it's why you hit your max so fast. You see all these big guys going to failure, the ones that do more to failure is because they have worked their cardiovascular fitness just as much as their muscle and strength gain. It's quite a big thing really.

It is why I do combination exercises and link my weight training with cardiovascular exercises and it actually spices up your gym session and makes it fun, plus you can do it with friends and this includes women with lighter weights./
Simonjw
developmyapps wrote:
Running is one of the most important exercises an individual can do in order to loose weight or be fit, many people think that sports and outdoor activities are only in relation with elite sportsman and athletes because its practice requires time and effort.

Sadly allot of people have forgotten that they could add 10-15 years of life to their lives only by doing 30 minutes of exercise a day, running can lower the risk of suffering a heart attack Exercise also raises blood levels of HDL cholesterol (the so-called "good cholesterol") which helps to cleanse the arteries of fatty deposits. The only important risk factors that exercise can not change are family history and age.

Running is really good, but if you don't do it correctly you will do more damage to yourself than not doing any exercise. If you have bad posture you will damage your body and if you aren't hydrated enough which most aren't you will damage your joint's and their cartilage.

As for putting more years onto your life, no one can say that. The fittest of athletes can drop down dead from a heart attack at any point. They can get all other diseases an unfit person can. Age doesn't matter, have seen people in their late 40's to 60's change their lifestyle around and they have lasted longer than anyone expected. It's not all about exercise, but the daily diet you have with no bad foods.

As for the 30 minutes a day, that is way to much. I do compound interval cardio in 8 minute sets and no rest between sets and I do it 4 days a week.
Arnolde
Hi Jsk02a,
Running is great exercise to lose and maintain body weight and to make heart and lungs strong. Running is great to deal with muscular and joint issues as oxygen inhaled results great amount of energy especially to your joints and promotes muscular development. Running improves blood circulation system and boost immunity system.
Simonjw
Arnolde wrote:
Hi Jsk02a,
Running is great exercise to lose and maintain body weight and to make heart and lungs strong. Running is great to deal with muscular and joint issues as oxygen inhaled results great amount of energy especially to your joints and promotes muscular development. Running improves blood circulation system and boost immunity system.

Hi Arnolde,

You have a few good points there, but some are actually wrong to an extent.

You stated running is a good way to lose and maintain body weight, which is correct because of the type of cardiovascular exercise it is and how it elevates the heart rate and how it gets you to breath. Running therefore does not really promote muscular development but more endurance of the muscles and the output they can have. Exercising like running is there to lower body fat, but once it is stopped there you have a problem of the running actually burning your muscle away instead of the fat - It can happen in two ways: One you might have a certain body weight percentage and two you might be doing really high intensity for your body and you haven't eaten anything and thus will deteriorate your muscle tissue. Strength and stamina are the only part of muscle development that you could get from running.

Running may not help you with joint issues and may even further deteriorate your joint issues. The main reason being, not everyone drinks an adequate amount of water so their joints which is practically all made up of water can't actually cope. For a person with joint problems, the best would be slow controlled walks early in the morning when the joints are fresh from the bed with at least 500ml of water in their system. Not elevating the heart rate will only burn body fat and will not break down the muscle tissue and it will be healthier on their joints until their joints get better.

Blood circulation is a big thing and running does promote it, but what is better is stretching in the morning and evening and doing some type of compound cardiovascular exercise throughout the day which will not take more than 10 minutes even for a veteran in exercising.
Peterssidan
Simonjw wrote:
Exercising like running is there to lower body fat, but once it is stopped there you have a problem of the running actually burning your muscle away instead of the fat - It can happen in two ways: One you might have a certain body weight percentage and two you might be doing really high intensity for your body and you haven't eaten anything and thus will deteriorate your muscle tissue. Strength and stamina are the only part of muscle development that you could get from running.

Losing unnecessary weight can help you run faster. Fat or muscles doesn't really matter if it doesn't help your running. Long distance runners don't need a heavy upper body, just enough muscles to keep a good posture.
Simonjw
Peterssidan wrote:
Simonjw wrote:
Exercising like running is there to lower body fat, but once it is stopped there you have a problem of the running actually burning your muscle away instead of the fat - It can happen in two ways: One you might have a certain body weight percentage and two you might be doing really high intensity for your body and you haven't eaten anything and thus will deteriorate your muscle tissue. Strength and stamina are the only part of muscle development that you could get from running.

Losing unnecessary weight can help you run faster. Fat or muscles doesn't really matter if it doesn't help your running. Long distance runners don't need a heavy upper body, just enough muscles to keep a good posture.

Well I am pretty muscular and I sprint and do long distance running. I have friends that do track for their teams and I out sprint them and out run them in long distance. Fat and muscle mass doesn't mean anything, it's how you utilize your muscles in your lower body by training methods. Running alone won't make you a good sprinter, but time under pressure on your lower leg muscle groups will make a difference. Compound exercises work better. I know a few Police Officers who are fat, but they can run really quick and especially when they chasing an assailant Razz.

It's all down to the person and how much they are willing to push. Mental capacity plays a lot to get your physical capacity going a little more. Veteran Special Forces Operators gain weight over time, but they still do what they do as good as a fresh set.
Dominicq
Hi jsk02a,
I took my dog with me on morning run and this I enjoyed most. Running is great exercise to lose weight, boost stamina and makes heart and lungs strong. Oxygen inhaled during running results great amount of energy especially to your joints and running improves blood circulation.
venkat_60
i am an athlete n i run really fast .... !!!! Smile Very Happy Wink
Denzel
Running is a good cardio exercise for the whole body parts. It is good for fat burning and for increasing stamina. It is best to do running for at least 15 minutes in a day.
aryan77
Like most of the people have already stated it is great for cardio vascular fitness. I also like the fact that the adrenaline gives you a nice after burn glow and helps reduce a whole lot of stress and muscle tension.
mshafiq
I love running as it burns calories and make me fit.
I observe that running habit has a good impact on my daily task.My daily task became more easier.As i am not feeling tire of doing all my work.
Running gave my skin healthy glow. When I return from a run, I'm a sweaty. No one wants to be around me until i took shower. But i think perspiration that drives my family away removes toxin of and cleanes my skin.
Running encourages me to take the best possible care of my body.when I eat meals rich in fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains, I have the energy I need to run well.
Simply i can say running habit change my life.
Queiros
I run everyday after work, clean my mind Very Happy
abhinavm24
i just love running.

Laughing
5km daily @6am.
appsdevelop
When you are depressed, the last thing you likely want to do is to get up and go for a run. Yet you will find that after only a few minutes of running, your brain will start to secrete hormones that naturally improve your mood. In fact, there are few things in the world that can better or more rapidly treat depression than exercise such as running.
David07
Running is good to important to improve health and fitness. Go for running, walking at least 30 to 45 minutes in a day. It make strong bones and muscles, boost energy, improve physical performance, improve heart functions and mental health and give you fit body.
Jackob
Running helps in losing weight, boosting metabolism and increase immunity system. Running makes heart and lungs strong, improve coordination and boost stamina.
mshafiq
Running is good for health
mshafiq
Too much running is not good for health.
Peterssidan
mshafiq wrote:
Too much running is not good for health.

Too much is always too much.
mshafiq
Running is good but extra exercise will be dangerous for life.