FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help keeping the internet free!

D'Artagnan
Once again corporations and governments are trying to lock up the freedom of information and speech in favor of personal gain and power!

The ITU is a global summit where we, the people of the world, have no say!
we must take action on and beyond the internet to mantain our rights!

see google's pledge for civilian attention!
http://www.google.com/intl/en/takeaction/whats-at-stake/

It might seems like little, but by making politics and giving countries that don't tolerate freedom of information a word over global communications , we are opening a gapping hole to let our freedon drain!
cybersa
I already did it.
But useful for other user.
deanhills
Thing is I don't trust Google either. Not with the enormous stake it has in the Internet. I'd like to know what is in it for Google?
saratdear
deanhills wrote:
Thing is I don't trust Google either. Not with the enormous stake it has in the Internet. I'd like to know what is in it for Google?

I would assume they don't want more Chinas. Remember when the internet was heavily censored by their govt? It led to Google (eventually) shutting down their operations in the country.

Less countries to function in = Less revenue obviously.

All this bullshit they say about free speech works because it appeals on a personal level. Google just wants everyone to continue accessing their services without any restrictions.

Anyway, I signed up.
zaxacongrejo
do you guys know what cyber war is?
do you guys know a country called Estónia?
do you guys know what china is doing in a daily basis against the USA and EU?
do you guys know what the word stuxnet mean?
Mr_Howl
saratdear wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I would assume they don't want more Chinas. Remember when the internet was heavily censored by their govt? It led to Google (eventually) shutting down their operations in the country.

Less countries to function in = Less revenue obviously.

All this bullshit they say about free speech works because it appeals on a personal level. Google just wants everyone to continue accessing their services without any restrictions.

Anyway, I signed up.

Exactly. Google's business works best with a free and open Internet. It just so happens that that goal coincides with pretty much every individual everywhere.
RosenCruz
Google is not genuine on this campaign. I m sure of it. They just want their profits. They have never stood up against governments censorship or other regulation efforts Twisted Evil
rjraaz
RosenCruz wrote:
Google is not genuine on this campaign. I m sure of it. They just want their profits. They have never stood up against governments censorship or other regulation efforts Twisted Evil

Of-course they will get more popularity by this campaign and definitely will get more business.
Helios
Added my voice, in addition to what Google wrote, I also said that not only governments but any party shouldn't directly or indirectly limit the flow of information on the internet.
Radar
I do hope that we're not going to look back on the present time of Internet freedom as the 'good old days'.
deanhills
Radar wrote:
I do hope that we're not going to look back on the present time of Internet freedom as the 'good old days'.
That would be pretty sad indeed!
grofet
internet should be free from bad people and bad sites. free and open internet is very bad idea since so many people will get a lot of negative effects and become victim from bad internet.
twotrophy
From: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_North_Korea

Quote:
North Korea is almost completely isolated from the rest of the world and, while there is a public telephone network, there is no broadband data network. Satellite Internet coverage from BGANand Thuraya is available, offering download speeds up to 492 kbit/s and upload speeds of 400 kbit/s; however it would be extremely difficult to smuggle a satellite terminal into the country. The one Internet cafe in Pyongyang uses a satellite Internet connection, as do some of the more upmarket hotels.According to one report released in 2009, many North Koreans had never heard of the Internet,[1] although a few of the party-elite are connected to the Internet via a link to China.[2]Kim Jong-il himself was said to have loved "surfing the net".[3]

North Korea has a total ban of the Internet because of fear that its citizens would find out about sensitive information such as human rights violations about the regime. The death penalty applies for using the Internet in this totalitarian country. Only some officials and Kim Jong-un himself have Internet access.
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:
The death penalty applies for using the Internet in this totalitarian country. Only some officials and Kim Jong-un himself have Internet access.
I've just done a search and could not find more information on this. Is it possible to provide a reference for this statement?
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
twotrophy wrote:
The death penalty applies for using the Internet in this totalitarian country. Only some officials and Kim Jong-un himself have Internet access.
I've just done a search and could not find more information on this. Is it possible to provide a reference for this statement?

About North Korea, only South Korea has some information and references Smile
inuyasha
I've added my voice.
But I'm afraid those governments, which you know, will never stop regulating the Internet.
zaxacongrejo
noth corea as acess to internet , not only the highter 3 ones but all the army officials.
but you see they all go to bad at 10 pm so they dont really need it hahahaha