FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you like china?

cooky24
China is a big country, and there are many beautiful and charming attractions in there, have you been china? and do you like it?
deanhills
I've only been to Guangzhou in the South of China. I didn't like it at all. It was an enormously polluted city (China's third biggest city), people were very aggressively commercial every where. I'm open for changing my mind if I visit Beijing or Shanghai, but Guangzhou was so off putting to me that I cut my visit short by weeks, and returned to the UAE within a day of arriving in China. I was given accommodation with my ticket for one night, so we were provided transportation in a bus that was definitely far from roadworthy on a road full of pot holes for miles and miles into the industrial district. Then when we finally reached our very precarious destination, it turned out to be bungalows and shared accommodation. I took one look at what was going on, including that there could have been a problem with transportation back to the airport the next morning in order to make my next flight, and then immediately took the same bus back to the airport with passengers who had already missed their flights and had waited hours and hours for airport transportation. There was a beautiful brand new Novotel at the Guangzhou Airport, so stayed there for one night, and managed to get a return flight to Dubai the next early afternoon. You can't imagine how relieved I was when I stepped off the plane in UAE.

I have so many other cities in the world I'd like to visit, including Beijing, but think this experience has put me off for a long while and Beijing and Shanghai are now lower on my list of cities to visit as well. I'd rather go to Vietnam any day if I am visiting that part of the world.
cheater01
deanhills wrote:
I've only been to Guangzhou in the South of China. I didn't like it at all. It was an enormously polluted city (China's third biggest city), people were very aggressively commercial every where. I'm open for changing my mind if I visit Beijing or Shanghai, but Guangzhou was so off putting to me that I cut my visit short by weeks, and returned to the UAE within a day of arriving in China. I was given accommodation with my ticket for one night, so we were provided transportation in a bus that was definitely far from roadworthy on a road full of pot holes for miles and miles into the industrial district. Then when we finally reached our very precarious destination, it turned out to be bungalows and shared accommodation. I took one look at what was going on, including that there could have been a problem with transportation back to the airport the next morning in order to make my next flight, and then immediately took the same bus back to the airport with passengers who had already missed their flights and had waited hours and hours for airport transportation. There was a beautiful brand new Novotel at the Guangzhou Airport, so stayed there for one night, and managed to get a return flight to Dubai the next early afternoon. You can't imagine how relieved I was when I stepped off the plane in UAE.

I have so many other cities in the world I'd like to visit, including Beijing, but think this experience has put me off for a long while and Beijing and Shanghai are now lower on my list of cities to visit as well. I'd rather go to Vietnam any day if I am visiting that part of the world.

Haha Razz Laughing so pity deanhills ! how much did you waste by traveling there ?
deanhills
cheater01 wrote:
Haha Razz Laughing so pity deanhills ! how much did you waste by traveling there ?
The air ticket was quite cheap, and the Novotel Hotel was also very cheap in comparison with other Novotels in the rest of the world. So thankfully not that much. In the end I also argued I saved a lot of money that I'd have spent if I had stayed. I used that money towards my trip to Koh Samui,Thailand the next year. Thankfully the latter turned out into a very successful trip in comparison.
FrankHilton
You know there was a time when Chinese were recognized as the most sleep nation of ASIA.You know now the Chinese have become the most hard working and the progressive nation of ASIA and rest of the world as well.So just let you know that the time will come when all of we will love China and will have a dream to be settled in China.
deanhills
FrankHilton wrote:
You know there was a time when Chinese were recognized as the most sleep nation of ASIA.You know now the Chinese have become the most hard working and the progressive nation of ASIA and rest of the world as well.So just let you know that the time will come when all of we will love China and will have a dream to be settled in China.
Well you can count me out. Agreed that they are enormously hard working, but at the same time VERY competitive to the point of ruthlessness. If I had any money to spend on traveling, I'd far rather spend it in a country where I can relax and where I am given a warm welcome like Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc.
GuidanceReader
I lived in Beijing for 4 weeks earlier this year. I loved it. The pollution sucked big time, but the people were very polite and friendly and some of the attractions (such as the wall) were great to look at.

I fell in love with the language and have continued to study and learn it since getting back home to Australia. My children (aged 3 and 5) keep asking to go back to China. They loved it there too.
deanhills
GuidanceReader wrote:
I lived in Beijing for 4 weeks earlier this year. I loved it. The pollution sucked big time, but the people were very polite and friendly and some of the attractions (such as the wall) were great to look at.

I fell in love with the language and have continued to study and learn it since getting back home to Australia. My children (aged 3 and 5) keep asking to go back to China. They loved it there too.
Great to hear positive feedback. Beijing has just been bumped up a few cities on my list of must-visit places. What was the safety like when you were visiting, and cost of living? Were you there as tourists?
testsoc
I'd love to check out China, but I think it'd be mainly for the natural areas.
GuidanceReader
deanhills wrote:
Great to hear positive feedback. Beijing has just been bumped up a few cities on my list of must-visit places. What was the safety like when you were visiting, and cost of living? Were you there as tourists?

I felt very safe when we were visiting there. The most dangerous part was figuring out how and when to cross the busy roads, but once you learned how it all worked it became easy enough. My husband was working there as part of a project for his job and they paid for the entire family, so we kind of were tourists, but not really. We were living in an apartment and most of our shopping and outings were not so touristy but more local. We also had a pretty 'sheltered' visit, as we had our own driver and things like that, so my views may be slightly skewed on that.

The biggest thing I noticed, however, were most people seemed to be rather calm and pleasant. They were more concerned about getting into trouble by the authorities than causing trouble, which was a good thing. Provided you followed the rules, I could see no problem with it.

As for cost of living, again, it was a bit skewed as the company paid for ALL our living costs - they paid for the apartment, food and driver. Food was awesomely cheap though, with our lunch in the restaurant across the road costing about $2 (AUS) after conversion to feed 3 of us and it was the freshest food I have EVER had in my life. It's what I miss the most since being home.

(sorry it took me ages to get back to you on this post, I've been 'away' from the computer for a few weeks over the Christmas/New Year festivities)
playfungames
I have seen China in pictures and only in movies (Skyfall as of the latest) and I can tell you that I would loooooove to visit China. It is on one of my things to do (if possible). I am on a country that is right next to China.
biolu
The real problem in most of the touristic spots in China is that they are REALLY crowded. Not a western crown, but more like a 10K people in 100 sqrm. But if you are able to go off tracks, you can find awesome spots!
Insanity
I like China a lot, but I think there are so many cities which are polluted like mentioned above that it makes life difficult for a lot of people. I don't understand how people can live in a city like that all the time. I mean, I can even see people wearing masks all the time as they walk around outside. How can they put up with a government that forces people to walk around wearing masks everyday because the air is so polluted? Then again, China has an incredible amount of people, so that makes them much more different than say America.
zimmer
deanhills wrote:

LOL.. I have never been in China but based on the stories and news i heard there is not much FREEDOM on China specially in Information Technology - imagine China blocks the FACEBOOK..grrr..

Well, they have there owned Facebook site but and the copy the facebook simulation and process good for them they copy everything..
dharmin
Never been to china and the mixed respenses that i get from people who have visited dont help either..
All i could figure is that China being a communist country, you better be prepared to have your list of freedoms shortened while you visit. Also, buy a Navy SEAL grade Gas mask if you want to breathe freely in China! Very Happy
twotrophy
I want to visit the country one day possibly in this decade. Are there any cities that are nice to visit? I might to visit Chengdu or Shenzhen. Are there any other cities that are nice to visit? I do not mind crowded places so much.
hotmms
I am from China. China is a big country. There are many big cities too. Hangzhou is one of the best beautiful city. Never miss it if you make a plan to travel in China.
Insanity
China has a lot of really cool places, but the air in some of their cities is just atrocious. Otherwise, it's a great place to visit and plenty of beautiful cities and countrysides.
think-about-it
It is easier than ever to visit and reside in China.
think-about-it
China has the cash and the leadership in sustainable technology to roll out tools to green the country.
Nyasro
I like china but haven't got chance yet to visit. Have a dream to go their
mustatab
I have been to Shanghai and it was so nice. It was full of so many marvels. I liked the combination of old and new cities living side by side. It was very different than USA as it was full of culture and heritage. people were so nice and we loved the food on the small shops besides the roads. I liked their women as they were so courteous and enjoyed talking to me as they want to practise their english.
mrobo
I dont know I was not in China, but it must be great country.
jajarvin
I have never visited China. That is why I can not have a clear picture what really China is.
georgio777
China my future vacation. But i do not know when i will be going...
codegeek
I've never been to mainland China, but I've been near the Nepal-China border. Very cold place. There is a hot water lake there. It's called Tatopani which literally means "hot water" in Nepali. People believe that the having a bath in the lake has health benefits.
mengshi200
I am bore in beijing.Bejing is very good city.The people is polite and nice as you see."beijing man" is very famous word in China.
hehe.

GuidanceReader wrote:

Nyasro
Ofcourse I can like china and chinese food and their culture Very Happy
sorgroundseo
I don't like China.
fuzzkaizer
chinese food is so fantastic! lots of the ancient chinese stuff like medicine, philosophy, religion etc is fantastic, too. politics nowadays is also fantastic, but in a slightly different sense. they destroyed everything in the cultural revolution and are proud for that, they were thought to be communist, but are somehow rather capitalist. they treat people like ants, and the ants seem to like it. strange!
Pippo90
I have never been to China, but I would love to see it. Very Happy