FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can you buy a URL anonymously?

Possum
Can you buy a URL anonymously?

They always want so many details..

Thx
zaxacongrejo
what do you mean for url,a domain name?
saratdear
Since he has asked in the 'Domain Names' subforum we can assume yes.

To the OP, no. All domain registrars need to keep information such as addresses and phone numbers and everything. However if you do not want this information to come up in a regular WHOIS search on your domain I think you can buy an additional service (forgot its name) for an amount which hides such details.
RosenCruz
You can register your domains with an additional privacy protection pack from registrars, but this will cost you more money.

Also, why do you wanna hide your details? ICANN Requires accurate information about domain owner. In case of a complaint, you can lose your domain if you can not prove your information is real. Wink
zaxacongrejo
Exactly
WhoisGuard: Protect your privacy using WhoisGuard

Have a look here please http://www.whoisguard.com/
rx9876
RosenCruz wrote:
You can register your domains with an additional privacy protection pack from registrars, but this will cost you more money.

There are some domain name registrar providing "free" privacy protection or promotion codes for privacy protection.

for example :
http://www.limenex.com/domains.html
http://www.domainmonster.com/domain-name-privacy/
http://www.name.com/
http://www.netfirms.com/netfirms/domain-names/
twotrophy
According to Bondings, you could register using fake information, but there is a small risk of losing your domain name unless your domain name is popular. It would be good if Frihost can own domain names on our behalf for our privacy. As what others said, using WhoIs Guard protection would protect your privacy.
Possum
As always many thanks to the FriHost members Smile Smile

Oh have had snail mail spam because of my details being harvested..

P.S..
Ive got nothing to hide.. Just like Privacy
twotrophy
ICANN should abolish the requirement of personal information when registering a domain. Since domain registration is centralized because ICANN is the authority of domain registration, ICANN should ensure maximum freedom by not requiring personal information. Although by doing this, more fraudulent domains would appear because no personal information is required so people could just do anything and unlikely get caught. What do you think of this idea?
RosenCruz
twotrophy wrote:
ICANN should abolish the requirement of personal information when registering a domain. Since domain registration is centralized because ICANN is the authority of domain registration, ICANN should ensure maximum freedom by not requiring personal information. Although by doing this, more fraudulent domains would appear because no personal information is required so people could just do anything and unlikely get caught. What do you think of this idea?

that is a bad one
mathiaus
Possibly not too relevant to you as I can see you are from NZ, but for .co.uk .org.uk and .me.uk domains registered by an individual (rather than a company or organization), you can opt out of WHOIS for free. Very Happy

Whether or not you want this service may determine where you register your domains. Some registrars charge more than others, offer discounts for multiple domains or for longer periods of registration, etc.
twotrophy
You can register a .tk domain for free without revealing any personal information at all. However, this means that Dot TK which is the company that provides these domains still own the domain you registered. However, you can pay a fee which is cheaper than conventional top-level domain names to legally own it which means that your personal information is on the Whois registry.
dude_xyx
One downside of pricy protection is you might miss important mails regarding to your domain name. You don't have all contact info as it is. Improvise Wink
twotrophy
I just came across this Wikipedia article on Domain privacy several minutes ago:

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_privacy
Others, however, treat privacy more seriously, and host domain names offshore, even using e-gold or money orders in transactions so that the registrar has no knowledge of the domain name owner's personal information in the first place (which would otherwise be transmitted along with credit card transactions).

Ownership of domains held by a privacy service was also an issue in the RegisterFly case, in which a registrar effectively ceased operations and then went bankrupt. Customers encountered serious difficulties in regaining control of the domains involved. ICANN has since remedied that situation by requiring all accredited registrars maintain their customers' contact data in escrow.

This solves the question on domain name privacy for you. You could buy a domain name anonymously in the past except that you would need to provide banking or credit card details to purchase the domain name.

However, you do need to provide customers contact data as of now.
Josso
mathiaus wrote:
Possibly not too relevant to you as I can see you are from NZ, but for .co.uk .org.uk and .me.uk domains registered by an individual (rather than a company or organization), you can opt out of WHOIS for free. Very Happy

Yeah I was going to point this out. Good stuff

I know this thread is a little old but anyway... I have done it in the past: registered a domain untraceable to me it's a difficult process, especially if the content of the site requires a "liberal approach to free speech", ominous connotations I know but it can be for noble reasons - and I'm pretty sure in most countries/companies it basically forfeits your right to the domain if you falsify any information in the registration process (not saying that's your intention, just throwing it out there). Could be wrong, but just a warning. Best get yourself a server farrrr away from the first world as well that seems to be key to long life these days. God speed.