FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is wrong with this ????

stagga
I keep receiving different types of errors... can someone tell me the problem in this php script?
Code:

<?php
$con = mysql_connect("localhost","root","");
if (!$con)
  {
  die('Could not connect: ' . mysql_error());
  }

mysql_select_db("pharma", $con);

$sql="INSERT INTO info (initial, name, pname, phone, country, email, fax, comment)
VALUES
('$_POST[ddGender]','$_POST[txtContactPerson]','$_POST[txtprodtName]','$_POST[txtPhNo]','$_POST[Country]'),'$_POST

[txtEmail]','$_POST[txtFax]','$_POST[txtRemark]'";

if (!mysql_query($sql,$con))
  {
  die('Error: ' . mysql_error());
  }
echo "1 record added";

mysql_close($con);
?>
jmraker
Quote:

Code:

<?php

$sql="INSERT INTO info (initial, name, pname, phone, country, email, fax, comment)
VALUES
('$_POST[ddGender]','$_POST[txtContactPerson]','$_POST[txtprodtName]','$_POST[txtPhNo]','$_POST[Country]'),'$_POST[txtEmail]','$_POST[txtFax]','$_POST[txtRemark]'";

?>

What are the error messages that you are getting when the code is executed?

It's possible you can't use an associative array inside a string without escaping it with curly quotes.

Code:
"('{$_POST[ddGender]}',..."
or
"('${_POST[ddGender]}',..."

Complex (curly) syntax
http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php

Also, since the key seems to be using constants php will generate warning(s) if the constant isn't defined and it tries to use a variable name under the same name. If it isn't defined you can add quotes around the array key like $_POST['ddGender'] or prepend with a dollar sign to use the $ddGender variable.
Marcuzzo
I didn't test it but this should work:
Code:
$sql="
   INSERT INTO info
      (initial, name, pname, phone, country, email, fax, comment)
   VALUES
   (" . $_POST['ddGender'] . ", " . $_POST['txtContactPerson'] . ", " . $_POST['txtprodtName'] . " , " . $_POST['txtPhNo'] . ", " . $_POST['Country'] . ", " . $_POST['txtEmail'] . ", " . $_POST['txtFax'] . ", " . $_POST['txtRemark'] . ");";

here's the thing
1. you had a bracket in the middle of your string:
Code:
'$_POST[Country]'),'$_POST

2. the $_POST variable is an associative array of variables passed to the current script via the HTTP POST method.
you were using $_POST[incorrect] instead of $_POST['correct']

3. cancatenating variables in a quoted string only works with $variables and not with $_POST['somevar']
I've had some problems with this matter in the past and now I just declare variables and use that
example:

$name = $_POST['name'];
$tel = $_POST['tel'] ;

$sql = "insert into contacts ( name, tel ) values ($name, $tel );";

make sense?
Peterssidan
It is possible to access array elements in strings like the OP is doing. I think the only problem was that he put the bracket in the wrong place (Marcuzzo's point 2).

It is not a good idea put the input from the user directly inside the SQL query. To prevent SQL injections you should use mysql_real_escape_string if I remember correctly. If Magic Quotes are turned on you might not need to do this.
sonam
I cannot find out where is bug but my suggestion is don't insert any submitted ($_POST) content directly in MySql. Otherwise you can easy to get some injection and loose all your database.

Sonam
Marcuzzo
Peterssidan wrote:
It is not a good idea put the input from the user directly inside the SQL query. To prevent SQL injections you should use mysql_real_escape_string if I remember correctly. If Magic Quotes are turned on you might not need to do this.

php.net wrote:
Use of this extension is discouraged. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information. Alternatives to this function include:

mysqli_real_escape_string()
PDO::quote()

so they advise to use mysqli_real_escape_string()

I just think that the error in the code is the bracket, see my point 1 in my previous post
without having the actual error messages it is hard to troubleshoot this issue