FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the highest pretend win on email?

chasbeen
You know the emails you get saying you have won a load of money but you never entered into a competition?
I cannot remember the highest "pretend" win I ever had but today I won a million pounds and then another one for 950000 dollars
I just wonder what the IQ of the individuals sending these ?
I mean if the organization that has an email like dumdummydumthicko@hotmail.com why don't they change it to something more believable.

Let's try and imagine the people sending them. If they have an IQ of say "9" will they find people with less than "9" anyway?

Out of interest What's the highest "pretend" win you had already?
deanhills
I never pretend. I don't even open those, I just delete them. If I opened one when it was not clear from the title, I deleted that one too. I'm also a dreamer, perhaps more of a dreamer than the average person, but about this kind of thing I never pretend.
chasbeen
Wow, I had 2 wins on Sunday (See above) and today I get an email with this:

Quote:
£350,000.00 British Pounds in the First Category of the BlackBerry End Of Year Promotion

So that's £1 million pounds plus £650,000 ($950,000 converted into GBP) plus £350,000.00

That's a cool £2 million since Sunday in 3 different competitions (I never even entered for)

All I need to do is give them all my personal information and walk down the bank after the armoured cars have all finished the deliveries. Rolling Eyes

PS: DH, I don't think executables can be initiated by just opening emails? Anyway I just recently was told for everyone NOT TO OPEN an email marked POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK or something like that.
This is straight up..
The email will apparantly have been sent from someone who you know (It looks through your inbox and/or it will be a highjacked email account...
REPEAT DONT OPEN THOSE FRIHOSTERS...
Josso
1.4 mil in one I think, although I don't open them.

This is not really related dunno why this reminded me - there was some bizarre email spam a few years ago it would always be text but in a picture, and they were basically riddles I have no frickin idea what they were trying to sell but they were always auto spam filtered.
Cosmoslayer
Definitely a Lotto win, have lot of those in my email. I did open it for amusement but not the attachments. XD
IceCreamTruck
Actually, a Nigerian princess fell in love with me, and she was worth 10 billion dollars... well, we have to get married, and I have to go to Nigeria, but I'm sure it will all work out OK! Smile /joke
chasbeen
You know you guys aren't going to believe this!
There I was just 6 days ago worried about the cost of Chrissymus
and then I had 2 massive email wins!

Well today I got my 4th win in 6 days!

Quote:
Your email address was electronically selected along other Winners and your email has subsequently won you the total sum of 1,550,952.00 Euros. Your winning email address reference number is Ref:IR/90020X2/12.

This brings me up to 3.5 million pounds approximately. I just have to fill out a claims form first.
I'm still a mere pauper compared to ICT with his 10 Billion dollar Nigerian princess.

Had any luck yourself?
deanhills
I've had so many offers, just could not make a choice among any of them. So decided to delete them all. Darn!
TheLimey
Well today "Scotiabank" emailed me and asked me to verify my account details through their "website"... I don't even have an account with Scotia! watch out people, it is the holidays and these scam (you can barely call them artists) are about.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
I've had so many offers, just could not make a choice among any of them. So decided to delete them all. Darn!

Now you have a hundred years of bad luck because you didn't forward this message to 10 of your friends, in ten seconds!!! Mmmmmuuwuwuwhahahahaha!
IceCreamTruck
TheLimey wrote:
Well today "Scotiabank" emailed me and asked me to verify my account details through their "website"... I don't even have an account with Scotia! watch out people, it is the holidays and these scam (you can barely call them artists) are about.

I was thinking about this the other day! What if a really smart person started spamming people? We would all be screwed, and actually this is what is driving the global single sign on idea. We need to have a way to tell for sure that it's a person or a computer, cause spamming is getting ridiculous, and they haven't even really begun to implement AI yet. I hate that the capchca (sp?) phrases have gotten so difficult to get right, but at least that system is still working for the most part. A global single sign on system might be the only answer when capchca no longer works.
grofet
sometimes smart people become victim email like that since greed will makes people loose awareness.
Pande
I recieved 1.2 trillian dollars into my offshore bank account, as I am the relative of a Nigerian Prince who died and his fortunes from his global enterprize were awarded to me.

I am now living in the bahamas and soaking up the sun daily, and I joined Frihost just to make a website/blog about how lucky I am.

Just kidding.

I use gmail now and haven't seen one of these in years.
deanhills
Pande wrote:
I use gmail now and haven't seen one of these in years.
I don't see them in my commercial e-mail accounts any more either. But at work we're being bombarded with these e-mails IN SPITE OFF the junk folder and a separate spam account. I suspect the spam filters have probably not been set up correctly.
IceCreamTruck
deanhills wrote:
I suspect the spam filters have probably not been set up correctly.

Probably that, and google combats the problem by combining the efforts of everyone who uses gmail, so gmails filters are super smart, and it only takes a few people saying a message that gets through the filter is bad before gmail completely blocks delivery of the spam to everyone. That way even if a spam gets delivered to you then gmail can take the advice of users who check that mail before you do, and gmail will remove it from your inbox if enough people mark it as spam. This is why I use gmail to check my other mail accounts. I get very little spam these days. I pop my frihost mail and my personal domain mail to gmail, so that the spam gets killed.

At work I am unable to use gmail to pop mail, so I have to check it in the proprietary system, which does not make me happy, but at least that is spam free for now.
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I pop my frihost mail and my personal domain mail to gmail, so that the spam gets killed.
That sounds like a terrific idea of how best to do it!
chasbeen
Quote:
You have been approved to receive a ATM award of $500,000 from Google Chrome

That brings me well over 2million pounds from various sources for competitions I did not even enter Razz

It's a bit mean this latest one and I don't know if I can bother claiming it as I have to send a load of personal details to distant Nigeria (The Google branch there in Lagos)
chasbeen
I'm so excited I just won another 1.5 million dollars by email in a competition I cannot remember entering!
All I have to do to claim the new prize is contact the western union money office at imamug.yahoo.com with the Info below.

Your Full Names:
Home Address/Country:
Mobile Phone Number:

However I'm a little disappointed about all the other wins I have had (Total approximately 25 million dollars) as I have not seen any of that yet Sad
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
I'm so excited I just won another 1.5 million dollars by email in a competition I cannot remember entering!
All I have to do to claim the new prize is contact the western union money office at imamug.yahoo.com with the Info below.

Your Full Names:
Home Address/Country:
Mobile Phone Number:

However I'm a little disappointed about all the other wins I have had (Total approximately 25 million dollars) as I have not seen any of that yet Sad
Well that is not so bad. He didn't ask you for your banking information! I smell a rat. Maybe there's a virus attached to something?
grofet
Usually i don't have to delete them since it's already on the bulk folder. I don't have much time to read them so i don't know which one offer me with the highest number. Never underestimate any pretend email, because sometimes it can make fool someone with high iq. I think we need to report pretend emails to interpol or something like that to stop bad people behind that pretend emails. If we can't overcome it maybe our children can become victim in the future. it's simple but can make some people suffer for a long time and can create trauma with email.
chasbeen
There does not seem to be a way to report spammers in large email providers?
Why can't they have a simple "Report as Spam" button which when pressed throws up a message "Are you sure you want to Report as Spak?"

FRIHOST DOES IT THOUGH
william
Occasionally I'll look through my spam folders for a little laugh. My highest contest wins were around a million dollars, but the highest amount of money involved I ever saw was, I believe, $1.7 billion. Something about me being related to an oil billionaire and that I was inheriting everything he had. The guy who notified me needed my bank account details so he could deposit it.

I wish I had a response. Perhaps I should conjure up a fake address, phone number, and bank account to track who sent it. Twisted Evil
itsmemarti
Lotto but I noticed that case emails are now rising
sark
chasbeen wrote:
Wow, I had 2 wins on Sunday (See above) and today I get an email with this:

Quote:
£350,000.00 British Pounds in the First Category of the BlackBerry End Of Year Promotion

So that's £1 million pounds plus £650,000 ($950,000 converted into GBP) plus £350,000.00

That's a cool £2 million since Sunday in 3 different competitions (I never even entered for)

All I need to do is give them all my personal information and walk down the bank after the armoured cars have all finished the deliveries. Rolling Eyes

PS: DH, I don't think executables can be initiated by just opening emails? Anyway I just recently was told for everyone NOT TO OPEN an email marked POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK or something like that.
This is straight up..
The email will apparantly have been sent from someone who you know (It looks through your inbox and/or it will be a highjacked email account...
REPEAT DONT OPEN THOSE FRIHOSTERS...

Of course! Your computer will be completely destroyed, your screen will explode, a black man will rape your wife and yours kids, you'll lose your job and... No.
It won't happen if you don't open suspicious attachments. And these are all fake, there's no e-mail like that.
It's almost like the biggest virus warning scam I've ever heard of. It was apparently a mail named "anniversary"...
I never got it, and instead my e-mail box was spammed by messages warning me of it. Seriously?

Anyway, 10 cars and 1 billion was the biggest I've had. Very Happy
chasbeen
Hmmm haven't had even 1 car yet:(
the_emissary
Everyone must have fallen victim to one of these scams before (or at least clicked on one). I remember the first and probably only time I ever filled out one of the forms they sent saying I had won millions. I was in my early teens and just being introduced to the internet, back then I did not know it was spam but I entered fictitious information nevertheless.

Still haven't got those winnings. The most believable one is about the Nigerian girl but I got that one when I was much more experienced and I decided to have a bit of fun. I sent a few replies playing along a then I just stopped.

The last time someone tried to scam me was via telephone, they were believable saying I had won 5 Million US. The trick was that someone called me the day before and asked who I was and I told them my first name and on the day in question the scammer addressed me by my first name.

It sounded good until he said I should send him some money to claim the prize. I told him to recoup those monies from my winnings and take an extra 100k for being a good sport lol.