FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How to create a game similar to Club Penguin?





twotrophy
Does anyone know how to create a game similar to Club Penguin? It is a simple Flash game. You can watch this video to find out how the game works here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-dSZNFiBD0
I believe that it takes Photoshop or GIMP or any other software that can design and animate. Making music could be done by GarageBand. What about coding? What does it take to code?
cybersa
twotrophy wrote:
Does anyone know how to create a game similar to Club Penguin? It is a simple Flash game. You can watch this video to find out how the game works here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-dSZNFiBD0
I believe that it takes Photoshop or GIMP or any other software that can design and animate. Making music could be done by GarageBand. What about coding? What does it take to code?


You need to learn Flash Action Script. Wink
Peterssidan
If you want to make a flash game you can do all graphics and coding in the adobe flash program (not flash player). If it doesn't have to be embedded in a web page you can use most programming languages to create a game like that.
twotrophy
Thank you all for your help. A point to take note of is the need for game moderators and event planners. Because people have different time zones, moderators and event planners may have to log on to the game in the middle of the night to take care of the game. Instead of earning by getting players to purchase a membership option to have premium access to the game which costs money, earning by AdSense could be a good option although I'm undecided. Note that I'm only a teen. I just want to create a virtual world when I grow up. It takes many people to create a virtual world like this so I probably have to work with other people. Maybe I'll work at home when I grow up.
Mr_Howl
twotrophy wrote:
Thank you all for your help. A point to take note of is the need for game moderators and event planners. Because people have different time zones, moderators and event planners may have to log on to the game in the middle of the night to take care of the game. Instead of earning by getting players to purchase a membership option to have premium access to the game which costs money, earning by AdSense could be a good option although I'm undecided. Note that I'm only a teen. I just want to create a virtual world when I grow up. It takes many people to create a virtual world like this so I probably have to work with other people. Maybe I'll work at home when I grow up.


My advice: start smaller. Smile A lot of people, when beginning game development, want to immediately start working on an MMORPG or the next Call of Duty. You have to work in increments, first doing simpler projects before creating something more complicated. For example: Could you create Tetris? You don't need any graphics really, just blocks. If you can't make Tetris, then you definitely can't make Club Penguin. Walk before running, or else you'll end up discouraged and quit.

Anyway, as far as this particular idea goes: you'd probably want your "event planners," or whatever is taking care of the game, to do so automatically with scripts. AdSense probably wouldn't work; the amount of money you get per impression (people seeing the ad) is very low compared to the amount of money you get per click. With an online game, the player is focused on the game content, not on the sides or wherever you have the ad placed, and thus probably won't even glance at the ad. There are some ad services specifically designed for Flash games, though (e.g., MochiAds), which interrupt the game to serve the ad. Those would be a better bet than AdSense.

However, selling things in addition to ads is probably a good idea. The "Freemium" model, as it's called, seems to be quite successful. This is where there are "coins" or whatever in the game that the player can acquire slowly over time, or they can purchase many "coins" for some small amount of money. And of course there are variations on this model.

You may also want to reconsider learning Flash. HTML5 is the new kid on the block and it looks like it may replace Flash soon. Consider looking at that.

Also keep in mind that creating a "virtual world" is pretty tough, and there are many technical challenges. Even creating a simple network mutliplayer game or a chatroom is tough. Having many players, as you would in an MMO, is even more challenging. And eventually, you reach the problems of scaling up, when a single server can no longer handle the number of players you have. Then you need to switch to a distributed platform. Although, if your game does reach that point, you could probably afford to hire some engineers. Smile

Anyway, if you're interested in learning to code, check out http://www.codecademy.com. They have Javascript tutorials, which would be very relevant for a web app, and Javascript is a good language to start with. From there I'd move to Python. See if you can make Tetris, Asteroids, or Breakout.

For graphics creation, GIMP is a good choice. You may also want to look into some pixel art tutorials if you like the look, in which case you could check out GraphicsGale as an editor.

Good luck. Smile
wombatrpgs
Mr_Howl wrote:

You may also want to reconsider learning Flash. HTML5 is the new kid on the block and it looks like it may replace Flash soon. Consider looking at that.

On the other hand, a lot of HTML toolkits are still in development and a little clunky, whereas Flash/AS libraries like Flixel or FlashPunk remain quite easy to use. Have any library recommendations if you're advocating HTML5?

(and you're quite right about starting small)
twotrophy
Mr_Howl wrote:
My advice: start smaller. Smile A lot of people, when beginning game development, want to immediately start working on an MMORPG or the next Call of Duty. You have to work in increments, first doing simpler projects before creating something more complicated. For example: Could you create Tetris? You don't need any graphics really, just blocks. If you can't make Tetris, then you definitely can't make Club Penguin. Walk before running, or else you'll end up discouraged and quit.

Anyway, as far as this particular idea goes: you'd probably want your "event planners," or whatever is taking care of the game, to do so automatically with scripts. AdSense probably wouldn't work; the amount of money you get per impression (people seeing the ad) is very low compared to the amount of money you get per click. With an online game, the player is focused on the game content, not on the sides or wherever you have the ad placed, and thus probably won't even glance at the ad. There are some ad services specifically designed for Flash games, though (e.g., MochiAds), which interrupt the game to serve the ad. Those would be a better bet than AdSense.

However, selling things in addition to ads is probably a good idea. The "Freemium" model, as it's called, seems to be quite successful. This is where there are "coins" or whatever in the game that the player can acquire slowly over time, or they can purchase many "coins" for some small amount of money. And of course there are variations on this model.

You may also want to reconsider learning Flash. HTML5 is the new kid on the block and it looks like it may replace Flash soon. Consider looking at that.

Also keep in mind that creating a "virtual world" is pretty tough, and there are many technical challenges. Even creating a simple network mutliplayer game or a chatroom is tough. Having many players, as you would in an MMO, is even more challenging. And eventually, you reach the problems of scaling up, when a single server can no longer handle the number of players you have. Then you need to switch to a distributed platform. Although, if your game does reach that point, you could probably afford to hire some engineers. Smile

Anyway, if you're interested in learning to code, check out http://www.codecademy.com. They have Javascript tutorials, which would be very relevant for a web app, and Javascript is a good language to start with. From there I'd move to Python. See if you can make Tetris, Asteroids, or Breakout.

For graphics creation, GIMP is a good choice. You may also want to look into some pixel art tutorials if you like the look, in which case you could check out GraphicsGale as an editor.

Good luck. Smile


Thank you very much for giving very valuable information. I'll take your advice very seriously. I'll give you several coins to thank you. I strongly agree that you have to start small. Creating a virtual world is very difficult because you need to know how to code, design and to compose music using software such as GarageBand which take time and are difficult to learn because these things are complicated although I know a little bit of designing. These skills can be learned by doing small projects. I have seen several failed attempts to create a virtual world such as Krazychimps because they are unable to finish the game although they seem to be working on another project called GameNeptune which can be visited on their old domain at krazychimps.com .

The "freemium" strategy of making the game free while having a currency which you can earn by playing the game or purchasing them using real money has been successful in a game called Transformice which is successful because they have been running smoothly without much problems for a few years now.
Related topics
Favourite game? (OFFICIAL THREAD)
GunBound
[*READ THIS FIRST!*] Commonly asked questions
Game making - anyone interested?
PHP Math
Looking for investment club web site software
The Game creation topic! - Share experience - Find resources
What music you have made?
NHL 09
Age of consent for religion?
FarmVille
More IRC Questions
Free Game Review: Happy Wars (Xbox 360)
Browser game programming
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.