FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to add a new site?

Da Rossa
Hi, I'm working for a company which is ready to put a site online. We already have our registered domain and e-mail service, but I realize my bosses didn't hire a web hosting/storage service. In my country, prices are out of reality.

I already have my site http://notasdeaula.org hosted here at Frih, so which steps do I take to use my account in here (so as my shared storage) to host the company site? It will be simpler than my own site.

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I use DirectAdmin. Smile
Also, I never needed this, this is why I'm asking this being a "senior" member Razz
RosenCruz
Da Rossa wrote:
Hi, I'm working for a company which is ready to put a site online. We already have our registered domain and e-mail service, but I realize my bosses didn't hire a web hosting/storage service. In my country, prices are out of reality.

I already have my site http://notasdeaula.org hosted here at Frih, so which steps do I take to use my account in here (so as my shared storage) to host the company site? It will be simpler than my own site.

Thanks!

Also, I never needed this, this is why I'm asking this being a "senior" member Razz

Login to Direct Admin and add another domain with your company web site. Then login to FTP and upload the contents. Also, remember to update the nameservers of your domain on your registrar panel, to point to FriHost nameservers Wink
andro_king
Da Rossa wrote:

Thanks!

Login to your direct admin control panel by using user username and password.
The login into you ftp in your direct admin and upload your companies website contents. Update the NS servers to serve your domain.
If you want to have a seperate employee database create it in your control panel
That's all.
All the best.
Da Rossa
Ok I went to the DirectAdmin panel and added the new domain. Then I manually (read: not using FileZilla or FTP protocol) uploaded just a couple of files to the public_html directory: index.html and 404.shtml, so people can see at least the company logo.

Then I went to my domain registrar and changed ns1.locaweb.com.br to ns1.frih.net (so as ns2.*).

The message I got from the registrar is "process completed successfully. please wait for 24 hours until the changes propagate through the Internet." Is everything usual in here? Smile

Edit: just tried to add the second domain my company created to point here to our hosting @ Frih but when I typed in ns1.frih.net I got this message:
[domain.com.br] Data management policy violation: |Query refused: ns1.frih.net|Query refused: ns2.frih.net|
sonam
You can add one subdomain (not only new folder) in your DirectAdmin and then point your domain on that new folder. In that case you can have two domains (and two separated sites) without interruptions.

Sonam
Da Rossa
Subdomain? No no no... it will be unacceptable for my boss to have a domain2.domain1.com site Sad

Also, I don't remember how to configure the FTP. I created a FTP account at DirectAdmin panel, so what? I never specifically set up a login and pass for the FTP...
Qantas94Heavy
Da Rossa wrote:
Ok I went to the DirectAdmin panel and added the new domain. Then I manually (read: not using FileZilla or FTP protocol) uploaded just a couple of files to the public_html directory: index.html and 404.shtml, so people can see at least the company logo.

Then I went to my domain registrar and changed ns1.locaweb.com.br to ns1.frih.net (so as ns2.*).

The message I got from the registrar is "process completed successfully. please wait for 24 hours until the changes propagate through the Internet." Is everything usual in here? Smile

Edit: just tried to add the second domain my company created to point here to our hosting @ Frih but when I typed in ns1.frih.net I got this message:
[domain.com.br] Data management policy violation: |Query refused: ns1.frih.net|Query refused: ns2.frih.net|

Most likely it's because of both of the nameservers having the same /24 address space, which some domain registries do not allow (so that you are supposed to have nameservers in 2 different locations), such as DENIC (provides .de domains). To be able to fix this, you can't simply,
sonam
Da Rossa wrote:
Subdomain? No no no... it will be unacceptable for my boss to have a domain2.domain1.com site Sad

Also, I don't remember how to configure the FTP. I created a FTP account at DirectAdmin panel, so what? I never specifically set up a login and pass for the FTP...

You didn't understand what I mean. Ones you are create subdomain (for example: MYBOSS)then you can point on this subdomain any top level domain. In that case your frihost hosting working normally, and your boss site working normally. You have the same username and pass and you can upload files on host via same connection in all folders and new subdomain too. What the best if someone from your company need FTP then you can give FTP only for MYBOSS folder.

Sonam
Da Rossa
Quote:
You didn't understand what I mean. Ones you are create subdomain (for example: MYBOSS)then you can point on this subdomain any top level domain

NOW I get it Very Happy

But, something very WEIRD, ASTONISHING and CATASTROPHIC went on. There is this company with which we got a domain registration and e-mail service. The e-mail was hired so we, at our corp, could use a @ourcorporation.com address for each employee. When I went to my registrar's control panel, I could see the nameserver like ns1.ourprovider.com and ns2.ourprovider.com. I changed both to ns1(2).frih.net, right?
Then I got the message that it could take up to 24 hours for the changes to propagate through the Internet.
After several ours, I could see the under-construction-site page I uploaded to frih's servers to constitute our site's initial page at "ourcompany.com" THEN, incredibly, ALL E-MAIL service stopped. We could neither login to our webmail nor access through Outlook. Couldn't check or send e-mail; and i don't know what happened to the mail sent to us in the meantime. All fingers were pointed at me.

So the next day I called their support, and engaged a 70 minute-talk with them. They told me this problem was associated with the change from ns1(2).ourprovider.com to ns1(2).frih.net. I changed back the nameservers but it took 12 ours to have our e-mail back. I don't know the sum of the loss of income.

So the guy explained that I was to check with my hosting provider (here) if I could "point back" or something so the three services along the two companies could coexist: the domain registrar and e-mail provider with our brazilian company in here (which also has an unecessary paid hosting service, which they want to sell us), and hosting at Frih.

What shall I do? I got a warning from my boss and, next time I do such a thing, I better have my resum้ updated.
sonam
I cannot help you with this issue. Maybe you can try to PM Bondings. By the way your boss is not correct. You want to help him and now he is warning you. Sad Why he didn't buy hosting too? Today the web space is not too expensive and your problem will disappear.

Sonam
kmr_mukund
first login to your frihost direct admin control panel using user username and password.
after that add another domain with your company name.then login into you ftp and upload company website. also update the name server to activate your domain.
RosenCruz
What kind of boss is that? If he wants to get these kind of stuff done, he should set up an IT department. This is no ordinary stuff for an employee.

For god sake, let Bondings add that domain for you to save your job. PM him may be
zaxacongrejo
theres always also crazy employees dont forget about that
Da Rossa
Quote:
I cannot help you with this issue. Maybe you can try to PM Bondings. By the way your boss is not correct. You want to help him and now he is warning you. Why he didn't buy hosting too? Today the web space is not too expensive and your problem will disappear.

Sonam

Yeah but here in Brazil companies still think storage is for "rather big enterprises", or, at least, enterpreneurs who want to make an investiment. Third World Country, you know? He didn't buy storage because there wasn't a site before, and there is not one today until I manage to outline one. He only went on a domain and e-mail service at that point.

And, nonetheless, the effect of changing the nameservers in there was to disrupt the e-mail in all our office. Now think about our clients... so he said: are you responsible for that? I had to say "yes", even I had no intention and had NO IDEA that could happen.

Thanks for your sympathy Sonam!

Quote:
first login to your frihost direct admin control panel using user username and password.
after that add another domain with your company name.then login into you ftp and upload company website. also update the name server to activate your domain.

That's what I did, but this last part was the very issue. When I updated the nameserver, the e-mail service associated with the domain (ourcompany.com, so the e-mails would be @ourcompany.com) just stopped.

Quote:
What kind of boss is that? If he wants to get these kind of stuff done, he should set up an IT department. This is no ordinary stuff for an employee.
For god sake, let Bondings add that domain for you to save your job. PM him may be

Well, I have some experience. Limited, I know. But talking about an IT department is out of question right now. We're still small. There is a company which set up the network, intranet, printers and put all machines to link to a "server", just before I was admitted. They're outsiders, not part of organization.

Now the boss told me direct orders not to alter any configuration until we're 'ready to host"; he told me to keep building the site itself. However, it was this 'simple' setting (changing the nameserver) what frightened him. And I can add the domain, what's the deal in that specifically? The point appears to be "having my hosting provider (Frih) to point back the e-mail service to our domain, as the attendant told me. I understood what he meant, but I'm having a hard time to explain in here Sad Bottomline is: he told me to check at the Frih (directAdmin) panel the function to let the e-mail refer to the e-mail-and-domain-registrar company we hired. Got the gist? I can't translate it better, sorry

Quote:

Which are usually the ones assigned to crazy tasks.
RosenCruz
Quote:

I believe he meant "employers" Rolling Eyes

-----------------------------

Quote:
let the e-mail refer to the e-mail-and-domain-registrar company we hired. Got the gist? I can't translate it better, sorry

I guess you want to point your domain to frih server, but let MX records to be managed by registrar itself. I believe that is possible. But it may require a custom DNS setup for you, at your registrar panel.

What is the domain registrar? And where is Honken? He is good at these stuff
johans
if you have linux box install ISP config so that you can host your owned website. It is easy to install just add isp config on the server.
RosenCruz
johans wrote:
if you have linux box install ISP config so that you can host your owned website. It is easy to install just add isp config on the server.

Come on. His site is hosted for free on frihost. Definitely he does not have a box
Da Rossa
No I don't have a box of any kind.

Quote:
I believe he meant "employers"

Possible, but I don't blame my boss. Actually he trusted me and I don't think he was wrong in that. And since I wouldn't have an idea this could happen, I don't feel THAT responsible. He only wanted to get things done, but the e-mail is far more important than the site.

MX Records? That's the concept I wasn't aware of. When talking to the IT attendant, we opened a RDP so he could run some commands @ cmd prompt, tracert for beginning, and mx.*.something came up. Now I read this on Wikipedia...

Quote:
A mail exchanger record (MX record) is a type of resource record in the Domain Name System that specifies a mail server responsible for accepting email messages on behalf of a recipient's domain, and a preference value used to prioritize mail delivery if multiple mail servers are available. The set of MX records of a domain name specifies how email should be routed with the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.

...so I'm now aware that there is more for I to learn.

But I think you got it Rosen! The loose end was that I was supposed to check with my hosting provider (frih) about doing this reroute, and see if we have those resources available here @Frih. Do we?

Anyway, I won't be able to mess up with that until I'm 100% sure. I'm even considering asking for budget for a second account at our registrar-and-e-mail-provider so we can use as a lab for a time...
RosenCruz
I believe we got it. The things is to set up the MX records. And you will be done Wink
Da Rossa
Thanks guys. I'll come by again if I have new things. You were of great help!

Edit: Err, now that I'm at office I see I forgot that I saved a screenshot of what the guy told me to do...

Da Rossa
Bump because I think people didn't see the image I posted above after editing Razz