FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Putting a price on human life?

Nameless
Now, people often say you can't put a price on life, that no amount of money is worth a life (or, as is more often the case, human life. Why should our lifes be more valuable than another animals? but that is a question for another discusion), but I've been wondering exactly how true this is. For someone to say they would pay anything to save a loved one's life, that is true. That person would, if they could, pay anything. But the chances are that person would not pay anything to save the life of a stranger they didn't know. Doesn't this seem strange? If you could save a stranger's life for a dollar, you would. But if you could save a person's life for ten thousand dollars, you might not. There are plenty of charity organisations where you could easily pay money to help save lives, but people don't. When they have far more money than they need, you could say they were letting the starving Africans (or whoever) die. Can that be right? How little would it have to be before you would pay? Is this not, in a way, putting a price on human life?

But there's more to this. As I said before, most (if not all) people would pay ten thousand dollars if it could save the life of somebody they loved. This is fine, but is it really *right* to do that? For the same amount of money you could save dozens of lives in a third world country. You could improve the lives of hundreds of other people. What makes the loved one's life more important than anyone elses? Everyone is loved by someone. As much as you might say otherwise, you know you're love is no better or more important than somebody elses. Are you not just putting a price on human life, but putting individual prices on other people's lives?
limcopy
how much will you envaluate yourself ? i think to everyone is the same == valueless
falconfx
I think it's a bad thing putting a value on human life, as it's got an infinite value.
LumberJack
Unfortunately, in my field I have to put "values" on life, or try to. Human life, trees, water, the environment. The difficult part is, that everyone values these things differently. There are some people that say the value of human life is infinate, others think it is not. Life is definately a precious thing, it is very hard to quantify it.
SNES350
Nameless wrote:
...How little would it have to be before you would pay? Is this not, in a way, putting a price on human life?

But there's more to this. As I said before, most (if not all) people would pay ten thousand dollars if it could save the life of somebody they loved. This is fine, but is it really *right* to do that? ... What makes the loved one's life more important than anyone elses? ... Are you not just putting a price on human life, but putting individual prices on other people's lives?

Motives for "pay anything to save x person's life" are purely selfish. If that person (assuming it is one of their loved ones) dies, then they lose a good friend or family member or someone along those lines, so they would feel bad about it. The millions of people they could save for the same amount of money don't mean much to that person, as to them often those millions are faceless, and though the person knows they are people those with money to spare have a hard time actually realizing that these are people just as those around that person are.
soulman
why we have to evaculate our value? Do you think the value of Bill Gates are much more than you? everyone is the same~
TeK
Off course you can put a value on your own life. Just it would be so high that a value wouldn't be necessary (unless you hate yourself for some reason)
wistom
well, i agree with the first one.
But how much will you envaluate yourself ? i think to everyone is the difficult =? nothing.
Jack_Hammer
I would say that it would be hard pricing a life as everyone's life is different, but then surely every cows life is different too, yet we have no problem slapping prices on them?
klingoncowboy4
limcopy wrote:
how much will you envaluate yourself ? i think to everyone is the same == valueless

from a certain point of view life is nothing but a complex set of chemical reactions. Human life can't have a price. Although there are other similar issues such as euthanasia, and culling. An even growing percentage in the west suffer from genetic dissoders that only a century ago would have meant death or infertility. Now they can live and reporduce spreading the disorder. For centurys it has been known that if you keep a genetically unhealthy animal and let it reproduce then you will end up with a sickly herd. But then this raises another problem "Is it ok to kill a sickly child?" another problem is that although this culling does make a healtyer population it can be abused. Killing a child just because it dosn't look perfect or because its heart dosn't beat accoring to what the goverment says it should.
ocalhoun
It's easy to put a price on a human life.
How much does a slave cost?
You see, the price of a human life is different than the price of a human death.
earthchild
that is really deep. bravo nameless... and thank you.

selfishness and egotism are modern society's biggest plagues - quite possibly the root of all so called 'evil'