FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Xbox or pc?

venkateshwarans
XBOX OR PC?
Today, we can mod the xbox to run linux on it. Now that xbox360 is extremely fast. I want to see it done(after it is bought by me).

What are the aplications that I can run on the xbox linux?
What can't I run?
Can I connect peripherals like dvd-rom, printer on to my xbox360 pc?
Most important - What variants of linux and windows can be run on an xbox with mod?

To put it straight - "how closed is mod xbox360 to an original pc?"
dan751
I'm not sure. Considering that nobody can buy one yet, not even modchip makers, there is no clue, yet, at to what can be used on the 360 and what can't be used on it. Everyone wanting to know answers to these questions -like myself- will undoubtedly have to wait for word from the modchip teams.Wink
Donutey
unless windows is miraculously written for powerpc don't expect it...
dan751
Donutey wrote:

In order for that to happen, someone would need to rewrite windows from the ground up. Unfortunately, I can't do that, as I'm not much of a software writter.
ankhezar
id buy sony playstation 3 and computer(coase all xbox games sooner or later will be ported to pc)
Donutey
dan751 wrote:
Donutey wrote:

In order for that to happen, someone would need to rewrite windows from the ground up. Unfortunately, I can't do that, as I'm not much of a software writter.

and you'd have to work for microsoft, as its all copyrighted/protected... Rolling Eyes

I wonder if you can get VMware to run on a linux modded original xbox, then run windows as a virtual pc... be kinda of interesting and somewhat ironic...
Hikaru
I'm a PC fan, not just because I think stuff like Xbox or PS sucks, they are good, but they aren't as flexible of PCs in my opinion, plus I think PCs with current hardware does have more power than a PS3/Xobx 360.
careyd
One reason so many people started porting the xbox to linux was that it had such an awesome graphics card and motherboard for the price. Microsoft actually sells the xbox at a loss. Thats because they expect, and do, make up for it from the sale in games. I imagine the same would be true of xbox360.

I have an xbox and a pc and it is preferance. I have to agree that you can do more with games from a pc. There are some games i prefer to play on the pc, age of empires for example, and others that I perfer to play on the xbox such as JediKnight. To me its more of a control issue. I live playing faster pased games with a controller and slower more stratagy type ones on the pc... Blah blah blah yes I know that there are controllers for pcs, but its not the same.

As for the vmware question, that is a very interesting question. I have vmware(windows version, was thinking about getting the linux version).

I just researched this and it looks like the answer is no. From VMWare's website
Quote:
VMware Workstation 5 does not run on RISC architectures, including SPARC or PowerPC. It cannot be installed on a UNIX-based or Apple machines.

oh well, would rather run straight linux on it anyhow.
sean_keevey
You might find www.xbox-linux.org helpful, its a very interesting site
Donutey
careyd wrote:

As for the vmware question, that is a very interesting question. I have vmware(windows version, was thinking about getting the linux version).

I just researched this and it looks like the answer is no. From VMWare's website
Quote:
VMware Workstation 5 does not run on RISC architectures, including SPARC or PowerPC. It cannot be installed on a UNIX-based or Apple machines.

oh well, would rather run straight linux on it anyhow.

well... doesn't look like they'll be porting it to powerpc anytime soon, because of the apple to intel switch. If i remember right there was a way to mod a PS2 into a linux box (with a hdd) but it was taken off the market (in the US) because of some legal issue... Though it's encouraging that sony said that the ps3 should run linux and mac os... without substantial modding (though if i remember right, a lot of things promised with the ps2 didnt show up)
nntien
venkateshwarans wrote:
XBOX OR PC?
Today, we can mod the xbox to run linux on it. Now that xbox360 is extremely fast. I want to see it done(after it is bought by me).

What can't I run?
Most important - What variants of linux and windows can be run on an xbox with mod?

XBOX is used for many games, it supports strong video games, fast speed! So, I think XBOX is better than PC for games. But we can use PC for many purpose including entertainment ... play games, listen to music, watch TV online, enjoin video etc. Wonderful!
NNT.
careyd
well the ps2 ran on an embedded version of redhat linux. They did put out a kit with some kind of linux disc and a harddrive so you could have some kind of linux system. I think it was more poppular over seas.

The ps3 I beleave is going to run a embedded version of linux as well. But this time they are going to have the linux part accessable by default, from what Ive heard, instead of having to buy an upgrade kit. We'll see.
careyd
nntien wrote:
venkateshwarans wrote:
XBOX OR PC?

What can't I run?

XBOX is used for many games, it supports strong video games, fast speed! So, I think XBOX is better than PC for games. But we can use PC for many purpose including entertainment ... play games, listen to music, watch TV online, enjoin video etc. Wonderful!
NNT.

well hardware speaking, the xbox is a pc, its nothing more. It's just that it doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse, and has a connector for a tv instead of a monitor. Its nothing more then a harddrive, motherboard, videocard, memory, etc.. just like a regular pc.

The only difference is that it comes with a controller and you can only play games/music by default.

As stated above there are many people who have bought xboxs and switched them over to linux and use them for their desktop systems.
Commando_Sondre
PC for teh win Very Happy
I use my PC to games,
by the way, I don't have a xbox Razz
I don't need it, a computer is enough for me!!

But the problem is that some games,
sometimes goes a bit slow.... Surprised
But it isn't a huge problem!

My PC is the allround multimedia system for me!
But, I wanna have an Xbox 360,
it looks fancy, and sounds cool! Razz

But it's the same for me!
I'm gonna upgrade my computer to X-mas!
Then I'm gonna play games all night long! Exclamation Exclamation