FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is Adobe Photoshop worth it?

twotrophy
I may be buying Adobe Photoshop soon because GIMP, a free and open-source software isn't very good. I am interested in buying Adobe Dreamweaver as well although I am not sure if I am going to make a purchase. Are these expensive software worth it? Are there any cheaper alternatives to Adobe products for Mac?
dude_xyx
Yes probably Photoshop is the best image editing software out there but If you have it already it doesn't wroth to upgrade every time they release a newer version. I still use Photoshop CS2 at work and CS5 at home for web layout design and stuff there isn't a big difference.
twotrophy
Thank you for your recommendation. I may be buying Photoshop soon. If I buy Photoshop, I'll make sure not to upgrade every time Adobe releases a new version. Very few shops seems to be selling Photoshop CS.
Josso
Yeah the price difference between versions with Adobe has always been a mega scam. Suggest getting an older version of photoshop and dreamweaver. They are good programs though
zaxacongrejo
Once you start to use Photoshop you will easily find out why them is better gimp ,1 week later gimp will be part of the past
twotrophy
I went to a shop and looked at Adobe CS6 Products. It seems to be extremely expensive and way out of my budget. What about Photoshop Elements? How is Photoshop Elements compared to GIMP? The most probable reason of selling Photoshop at a very expensive price is because many companies and people are willing to pay for such an overpriced product. I wish someone would create a free and open source alternative that is as good as Photoshop CS6. GIMP is horrible.
Mr_Howl
I think you should give GIMP another shot. Yes, the interface is very weird, but "GIMP gurus" can match most Photoshoppers punch for punch. Taking the time to learn it may be a better deal than shelling out the $600 for Photoshop.

Since you're considering Photoshop Elements, you may find this useful: I received a Wacom tablet as a gift and it came with a free copy of Photoshop Elements. Not sure what you're planning on doing, but tablets are really useful tools and it may be worth it to you.

Here are some on Amazon:

Wacom Bamboo: This one includes an older version of Photoshop Elements, but is only $55 as of this writing (cheaper than the current Elements)

Bamboo Capture: $95, cheaper than $100 from Adobe, and I'm assuming it's the current version (although it doesn't say)

Bamboo Create: $175, the big draw for this one seems to be that it's larger

Good luck.
twotrophy
I think buying an outdated version of Photoshop CS would be okay. Since Photoshop is extremely expensive, an outdated version would be cheaper. I am no longer interested in Adobe Dreamweaver.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
interested in Adobe Dreamweaver.

whats your replacement?
Mr_Howl
What are you going to use Photoshop for, by the way? Have you considered Paint.NET or Inkscape? Paint.NET is not nearly as feature-rich as Photohop or the GIMP, but it may suit your needs. Inkscape is similar to Adobe Illustrator.
twotrophy
Mr_Howl wrote:
I think you should give GIMP another shot. Yes, the interface is very weird, but "GIMP gurus" can match most Photoshoppers punch for punch. Taking the time to learn it may be a better deal than shelling out the $600 for Photoshop.

Since you're considering Photoshop Elements, you may find this useful: I received a Wacom tablet as a gift and it came with a free copy of Photoshop Elements. Not sure what you're planning on doing, but tablets are really useful tools and it may be worth it to you.

Here are some on Amazon:

Wacom Bamboo: This one includes an older version of Photoshop Elements, but is only $55 as of this writing (cheaper than the current Elements)

Bamboo Capture: $95, cheaper than $100 from Adobe, and I'm assuming it's the current version (although it doesn't say)

Bamboo Create: $175, the big draw for this one seems to be that it's larger

Good luck.

Thank you very much for writing this. I think I would just stick to GIMP. I just wanted to buy Photoshop because GIMP is hard to use. I think I'll just read tutorials on how to use GIMP on the software's official website. GIMP seems to be better for me although I am still considering Photoshop but I am unlikely to buy Photoshop. Thank you for your advice.
codegeek
The answer is a resounding Yes! It is absolutely the best image editing software there is. Once you know your way around it, the interface is absolutely fluid. Yes, there is a lot to learn and a lot of effort to be invested. However, the end result will be so spectacular that you would be willing to put in the effort ten times over.

I use Photoshop for everything from designing game interfaces, to designing various elements of my website or simply retouching the photos from my camera. It can make bad images look good and good images look absolutely astounding. I especially love the content-aware fill in Photoshop CS5. One could get hours of work done within a few seconds. I also love playing with the puppet warp option. All in all, I would definitely recommend it.