FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

People who post their art on forums

truespeed
I see this a lot on various forums I go on,mostly they are quite good,but occasionally I see some and they are rubbish,yet the only comments you see are how great they are,I don't answer as I never want to offend and I wonder if those answering are just complimenting for the same reason.
Ankhanu
Often, yeah.
A lot of people don't want to criticize people's work for fear of looking like an ******.

As a photographer, and someone who work(s/ed) with pencil/conte/charcoal/ink and oil/acrylic/watercolour paints, when I post my work, I want genuine feedback. If it's good, I want to know what's good about it; if it's not great, I want to know what needs work.
I know that a lot of people who post their work aren't as interested in that honesty as I am... they're looking for praise for doing things.

It can be a bit of a mine field figuring out who wants praise and who wants a critique... if you offer a critique and it's received poorly, well, it gives you a pretty good measure of the quality of the person who takes offense.
standready
truespeed wrote:
I wonder if those answering are just complimenting for the same reason.
Just just saying something for points I will guess. I seldom post on artwork other than photos.
truespeed
Ankhanu wrote:
Often, yeah.
A lot of people don't want to criticize people's work for fear of looking like an ******.

As a photographer, and someone who work(s/ed) with pencil/conte/charcoal/ink and oil/acrylic/watercolour paints, when I post my work, I want genuine feedback. If it's good, I want to know what's good about it; if it's not great, I want to know what needs work.
I know that a lot of people who post their work aren't as interested in that honesty as I am... they're looking for praise for doing things.

It can be a bit of a mine field figuring out who wants praise and who wants a critique... if you offer a critique and it's received poorly, well, it gives you a pretty good measure of the quality of the person who takes offense.

I get the impression most aren't looking for negative feedback at all,only praise,on the odd occasion where I have seen people give an honest,negative opinion,the posters do seem to take offence.

I would comment if the OP asked for an honest opinion,negative or positive,otherwise I usually leave those types of threads well alone when I think what they have drawn/painted is rubbish. Smile