FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Thanksgiving is coming~

inuyasha
Very Happy Actually it's already Thanksgiving here in Eastern Semisphere~ but I suppose most of Frihosters live in the west.
Anyway, happy Thanksgiving to every Frihoster~ Very Happy By the way, how many countries celebrate Thanksgiving?
And no offence but... Do people in Turkey eat turkey?
deanhills
Think Thanksgiving is really something of the US only, but since all of us are channeled into all the US news, and hoopla, including movies where it is a big deal, it belongs to us to a certain extent as well. But still, it is nice to have a day dedicated for being thankful and spending it with families. Just feel sorry for all of the turkeys. Wink
milkshake01
Happy Thanksgiving everyone Smile.
deanhills
Ditto .... happy Thanksgiving to every one ...
zaxacongrejo
hello Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Quote:
Does people in Turkey eat turkey?

Yes they do and they also have a strange coffee, they just don’t eat pig and in my opinion they are right
And it is because the pig is considered an impure animal same as say dirty

Tell us a little about china what about Thanksgiving in china? Is there any?
china changed quiet a lot in the last 30 years since Tiaxxxxxxi know that you guys already have Mac Donald’s and pizza, and that pizza its fashion you guys love it Smile i do love pizza to
i wish i could eat pizza every day without say oversized lol
What about the big “alcatelwall” of china can you speak about it?
Is it really truth?
Afaceinthematrix
I would never celebrate that awful holiday. The history of it has deep roots in religion - like everything else in the U.S. - and historically, many people like to associate an event in 1621 as the first Thanksgiving (and that was little more than celebrating the future raping and genocide of the Native Americans).

Plus, I don't believe in eating meat and it is a day where millions of turkeys are killed and their deaths are celebrated.

Finally, I am completely against obesity and gluttony and this entire part of the year is about overindulgence. I hate this holiday just like I hate most other holidays. They've become so ingrained in our society that people don't even think about the actual holiday, the history of it, why we have it, or anything else other than what they feel they are supposed to do. This time of the year causes many people stress yet skipping it just never seems to occur to them because they seem to follow the tradition and people just love to follow tradition even if they don't like it.
Insanity
You sound like you would be a hit at parties.
cybersa
Happy ThanksGiving day to all.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
I am completely against obesity and gluttony and this entire part of the year is about overindulgence

thats the point me to, but is all about that,

Quote:
people don't even think about the actual holiday, the history of it, why we have it, or anything else other than what they feel they are supposed to do.

nowadays is more a comercial season the anything else
inuyasha
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Tell us a little about china what about Thanksgiving in china? Is there any?

Most people in China do not celebrate Thanksgiving and some may even not know about it at all. However, the young generation, who may be more interested in foreign culture, may mention about Thanksgiving in their blogs or some forums, and call their parents if they are away from home.
Personally, I think it's a good holiday, to be thankful. But I don't celebrate it because nobody around really do.

zaxacongrejo wrote:
What about the big “alcatelwall” of china can you speak about it? Is it really truth?

The big "alcatelwall"? Do you mean the Great Firewall? Yes it really exists and blocks Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and many other websites, which are beyond the control of the Government, and contain "illegal" contents. But for those IT elites, there is always a way out.
The Wall has been interferring Google. That's why Google China is canceled. That's why we are using Google Hongkong. That's why Google may be inaccessible for minutes if you search any words in a certain blacklist.

Insanity wrote:

I'd better not, Wink because there's only one party left.
zaxacongrejo
i tried to answer this post yesterday but my answer as vanished do you know why?
inuyasha
zaxacongrejo wrote:
i tried to answer this post yesterday but my answer as vanished do you know why?

But I've seen your reply posted on November 23rd. Or perhaps you tried to post another after it? I think it may be the reason. Just put all your words in one~
chartcentral
I am thankful for the 2-day holiday (Thanksgiving and Black Friday), which paved the way for a four-day weekend. Smile
_AVG_
Yeah, this weekend is always relaxing and comes at a crucial time when rest is needed. In addition, everyone is so nice around the holidays. Hope everyone had a good time Smile
coolclay
Quote:
Laughing HAHAHAHA!!!! It's so true, but that's why we love Afaceinthematrix!

While the history of most holidays leaves much to be desired and the modern day commercialization of holidays is downright disgusting, I still like holidays especially Thanksgiving if only because it is a chance to spend time with family members, especially those that live far away and you don't see often. Holidays also provide the opportunity for much needed vacations and relaxation.

Case in point this Thanksgiving my girlfriend and I went on a thanksgiving road trip to northwest Georgia and North Carolina, hiking, camping, and horseback riding this past week. On Thanksgiving day we hiked 6 miles on a beautiful mountain all by ourselves (except for a few bears). Then drove to visit my aunt, uncle and cousin whom I usually only see once a year, and ride horses and fish. As a current graduate student fun activities are few and far between but thanks to Thanksgiving I was able to get away for a much needed break!

So while I may agree with you in some aspects Afaceinthematrix, I completely disagree with your complete holiday negativity. Holiday's are completely what you make of them, and being disdainful just makes you feel bad, and makes you kinda like you an @ss.
hw3patch
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Finally, I am completely against obesity and gluttony and this entire part of the year is about overindulgence.

I definitely agree with that statement. Rather than spending a relaxing evening with family or reading a book, people storm stores across the country in search for pounds and pounds of material goods at a slight discount. And the poor workers have to either give in to the demands of the corporations for which they work by participating in the culture of consumerism (providing manual labor to fuel it) or be fired. For most people, they wouldn't have a choice in that situation; they'd have to work.

Holidays used to be about family time; now they're about buying stuff.
jazzman
You know buying stuff during Thanksgiving is its own elixir. I used to get a kick out of standing out in the cold beginning at 3am in the morning for stores that opened at 5am. Typically it would be 3 to 5 of us friends that would get together and map out the "buying spree", having identified all the items on sale that we wanted before hand. Standing in the cold that early in the morning meant a lot of talking with the people around you to keep warm. It was very interesting to meet new people and listen to what they wanted to buy.
Been a while since I've done this though. Now I do all my shopping online from the comfort of my home.

hw3patch wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Finally, I am completely against obesity and gluttony and this entire part of the year is about overindulgence.

I definitely agree with that statement. Rather than spending a relaxing evening with family or reading a book, people storm stores across the country in search for pounds and pounds of material goods at a slight discount. And the poor workers have to either give in to the demands of the corporations for which they work by participating in the culture of consumerism (providing manual labor to fuel it) or be fired. For most people, they wouldn't have a choice in that situation; they'd have to work.

Holidays used to be about family time; now they're about buying stuff.
spinout
Not at all in sweden, and no turkey... We seldom eat turkey in full Smile but it is very popular today on sandviches...
hw3patch
jazzman wrote:
You know buying stuff during Thanksgiving is its own elixir. I used to get a kick out of standing out in the cold beginning at 3am in the morning for stores that opened at 5am. Typically it would be 3 to 5 of us friends that would get together and map out the "buying spree", having identified all the items on sale that we wanted before hand. Standing in the cold that early in the morning meant a lot of talking with the people around you to keep warm. It was very interesting to meet new people and listen to what they wanted to buy.
Been a while since I've done this though. Now I do all my shopping online from the comfort of my home.

Well, of course not all discount shopping is bad, but after spending a Thanksgiving and Black Friday at Walmart for a year or two, one would receive impressions that it's all bad. Watching large crowds of people pushing and shoving each other in order to buy something that in 3 years will be "obsolete" doesn't exactly emit a positive vibe. Your experiences sound like they were constructive- not like the rampant greed that is currently plaguing the U.S. and parts of the rest of the world.