FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Please recommend me a good instant messaging program...

Da Rossa
... to use in a small office. Must be free. We need to exchange info in here a lot, much of it links that we have to send through e-mail (Outlook). A MSN-like little simple program to use internally @ LAN only would fit perfectly.
Which one should I use? Can't be MSN messenger. Smile[/quote]
Josso
Maybe this?. Haven't tried it though, I'm sure if you check sourceforge there will be a few. I would say just use dos but you after XP we lost a good few commands again.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
IM all your friends in one place

Pidgin is an easy to use and free chat client used by millions. Connect to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, and more chat networks all at once.

Supported chat networks:

AIM
Bonjour
Gadu-Gadu
Google Talk
Groupwise
MSN
MXit
MySpaceIM
SILC
SIMPLE
Sametime
XMPP
Yahoo!
Zephyr

http://www.pidgin.im/
chartcentral
If you're looking for intranet communicators, there's the very simple IP Messenger, as well as Spark. Smile
darthrevan
I like Pidgin myself it is available for Linux and windows and maybe Mac
rx9876
chartcentral wrote:
If you're looking for intranet communicators, there's the very simple IP Messenger, as well as Spark. Smile

I recommend Spark too.
Install server on a pc, and the others can login and chat.
Chat history, group chat, file transfer
silverdown
Thanks all who shared I was looking for something as well. Very Happy
Da Rossa
Sorry for the long time before feedbacking your opinions gentlemen (and possible ladies) Smile
I'll take a look at your suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Edit: so, so far I tried IP Messenger in here. The concept is very attractive since it's serverless, and no other things are necessary. But it is veeeeeeery basic, and not very comfortable. Each message has to be opened separately...

Edit 2: as of Spark, I see it requires the server-side application (OpenFire, right?) I'm having a hard time setting it up... he won't let me create an admin account and password...

Edit 3: Can Pidgin as well as Miranda, which are both programs that connect to multiple networks, set a private network, just for the intranet?
Da Rossa
Sorry for the bounce, but the previous to last reply was rather antique and edits don't make the topic go up Sad
johans
Da Rossa wrote:
... to use in a small office. Must be free. We need to exchange info in here a lot, much of it links that we have to send through e-mail (Outlook). A MSN-like little simple program to use internally @ LAN only would fit perfectly.
Which one should I use? Can't be MSN messenger. Smile
[/quote]

try google apps for business.. its free from 1-10 users.. access anywhere, anytime and cloud ready.. can share documents..
Da Rossa
Hmm, we have a little more than 10 people Sad

Edit: ... and must be simple too. This is a 'directive'. As I can see @ http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/, there are many things, but no messaging app... am I missing something?
Da Rossa
Edit: sorry, double post.