FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Belief-in / Belief-that

Dialogist

source

For example, I believe that Einstein's cosmological constant is correct. I kind of have to, or the theory of general relativity doesn't work. But that doesn't mean I give two hoots about it, or that I believe that it gives one hoot about me. It's not that I don't believe that ad hoc is necessary, it's that I don't believe that I need to believe in it to make everything work. Oh wait...Yeah, I do. n/m.
SonLight
I'm not sure what the point of the definition is, and I'm not sure if suggesting the possibility of a stronger form of belief is outside your preferred boundaries of discussion. In the one case where it matters most in my opinion, and I think in yours also, the terms "belief" and "faith" are frequently used as synonyms.

Some examples of my proposed stronger form of belief:

Tightrope walker A asks spectator S if S believes A can push a wheelbarrow across Niagara Falls. S says "yes, I believe that you can". A asks, "Do you really believe?" S says, "Yes, I believe in you". A suggests S get in the wheelbarrow for the trip across. S will only get in the wheelbarrow if he believes in a stronger sense than he has yet exhibited.
Dialogist
Sonlight wrote:
A suggests S get in the wheelbarrow

Very Happy I'm loving this twist. This is absolutely perfect.

Sonlight wrote:

I'm not sure what the point of the definition is

etc.
nickfyoung
Belief in or belief that, aren't they essentially the same. I can believe in some one and believe that they exist.Beliefs are a strong part of our psychological make up and should not be taken lightly. A belief can effect our whole life style and the way we do things.
On the other hand one should be open to having ones beliefs change as one develops and grows in varies areas.

A quote from the same source as above says , "In Anna Rowley's Leadership Theory, she states "You want your beliefs to change. It's proof that you are keeping your eyes open, living fully, and welcoming everything that the world and people around you can teach you." This means that peoples' beliefs should evolve as they gain new experiences." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief

So as we experience new stuff we should be open to changing our beliefs or at least molding them a little.