FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A mobile version of the site

milkshake01
Hello,

I suggest a mobile version of the site for the site for the following reasons:

1. Bandwidth - Most mobile phones with Internet access have a limited amount of bandwidth. Non-mobile sites take up more bandwidth than mobile sites. This may result in extra charges by the service provider.

2. User Friendly - Viewing non-mobile sites on mobile sites requires zooming in to tap on small buttons on smaller phones. This makes it difficult and time consuming for mobile users to use.

If you have any other reasons please reply to this post.

-milkshake01-
ocalhoun
milkshake01 wrote:

1. Bandwidth - Most mobile phones with Internet access have a limited amount of bandwidth. Non-mobile sites take up more bandwidth than mobile sites. This may result in extra charges by the service provider.

Frihost is already exceptionally good at using a small amount of bandwidth. Probably already much lower bandwidth usage than most 'mobile' websites.
Quote:

2. User Friendly - Viewing non-mobile sites on mobile sites requires zooming in to tap on small buttons on smaller phones. This makes it difficult and time consuming for mobile users to use.

...Using a full-featured forum from a phone won't be easy anyway...
ateawonton
people are switching to internet browsing using mobile handsets these days
amlgoing
ateawonton wrote:
people are switching to internet browsing using mobile handsets these days

I agree that people are switching to mobile handsets for browsing and some maintenance. We manage our help desk through a mobile app. However, for development and extensive maintenance and traditional computer or laptop is still a necessity.