FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

To all the users of Frihost!

Ghost Rider103
I'd like to start off by sayin you guys are all great users!

More specifically, I'd like to thank the users who have been actively using the report system. I can't, or rather won't say any names, but some of you really go on a reporting spree. I want to make sure you guys know that you are doing an excellent job in fighting against spam. I'd like to apologize, as sometimes us staff member get backed up and some reports take some time to get handled. I will promise you though, if you're reporting it, we will take care of it! We are working on catching up with the long list of reports so we can once again handle the spam much faster.

I've been slightly inactive in the past month or so, I have been reading on the forums and I've read a lot about spam lately. I do take some blame for a slight increase in spam posts due to my inactivity as a staff member.

However, when you guys are constantly reporting spam, even though it might not seem like it at times, it really does help a ton.

For the first time in about a month, I had some spare time to check the reports. I've never seen that report list so long! I spent a solid hour handling reports and didn't even get halfway through the list. So I just wanted to thank you guys for that. I'm sure if some of that stuff wasn't reported, it would have probably went unseen by staff for a very long time! Especially the spam where they change the hyperlinks to black. Whoever reported those, excellent find!

While I realize spam at Frihost is a serious issue, we're doing all that we can to keep the place clean and spam free. While we dont want anyone to go out of there way to look for spam (that's out job), I you do accidentally come across it, it's not a bad idea to report it. Every report helps, so keep it up!
tingkagol
Quote:
Especially the spam where they change the hyperlinks to black. Whoever reported those, excellent find!

What do those look like? Maybe I will stumble upon one myself.
mahirh
tingkagol wrote:
Quote:
Especially the spam where they change the hyperlinks to black. Whoever reported those, excellent find!

I suppose they look like "this". They are virtually indistinguishable until one looks at the code (by quoting) or hovers over the link. Not the only way either- "" just so happens to be a link too.
RosenCruz
We will carry on reporting spams. No worries Wink
cybersa
I get tired by reporting.
Because the post was not taken down.
Now i knew the reason.

I want to be a Spam Reporter Wink
Ankhanu
Patience, it's a virtue... and the fates, they have not forsaken us!

... if by fates I mean the mods...
deanhills
Nice to see you back Ghostrider.

A little while ago Helios said he would submit Matrix's thread about ways to reduce spam to the Staff Forum. Do you know whether it was discussed? Suggestions were made to use spam blocks or filters. Filters are very useful to combat spam, and of course would reduce the number of reports significantly as well.

Here is the link to Helios's post and the topic:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1116835.html#1116835
Ghost Rider103
mahirh wrote:
tingkagol wrote:
Quote:

I suppose they look like "this". They are virtually indistinguishable until one looks at the code (by quoting) or hovers over the link. Not the only way either- "" just so happens to be a link too.

Yep, this is exactly what I was referring to.

cybersa wrote:
I get tired by reporting.
Because the post was not taken down.
Now i knew the reason.

I want to be a Spam Reporter Wink

Like I said before, I don't want anyone to go out of there way and actually look for spam. That is silly and is not something you would ever be required to do. It is just good practice to report it when you come across it. Even if it doesn't get removed immediately, it will eventually get around to the staff when were being active.

deanhills wrote:
Do you know whether it was discussed?

It was brought up in the staff forum by Helios and it was briefly discussed. Not really much for me to report on the matter at this time, however.
RosenCruz
Good to see someone taking care of those spams !
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Totally agreed Rosen. And to see so many Mods around. But yes, taking care of the spams is awesome. Cool
Josso
Nice one GR, respect, we know you do your best
standready
Hey Ghost,
Good to see you back and the spam disappearing. I have cancelled a special order of eggs! Laughing
zimmer
RosenCruz wrote:

That means admin and moderator on this forum are active here..
Peterssidan
When I saw that spam was still there weeks after I reported it I started to think that maybe it wasn't considered spam or that the reports was lost for some reason. Good to know that it was just due to the lack of time.

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
For the first time in about a month, I had some spare time to check the reports. I've never seen that report list so long!

Were many of them duplicates? I can imagine that if the spam is not removed right away the same spam will get reported by a lot of different users.
Ghost Rider103
Peterssidan wrote:

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
For the first time in about a month, I had some spare time to check the reports. I've never seen that report list so long!

Were many of them duplicates? I can imagine that if the spam is not removed right away the same spam will get reported by a lot of different users.

This is a great question.

When a user reports something, it's obviously thrown into a list of reports. When the same thing is reported again, that report gets thrown to the top of the list. There are some visual features that allow the staff to determine how many times it's been reported. The more times it's been reported, the more obvious it is to see that it is urgent.

So if you have two spam posts, one gets 2 reports and the other gets 5 reports, the one with the most reports (5 in this scenario) will be on top. So instead of the reports being displayed by the time they were reported, they are displayed and rearranged by urgency.

To answer your question, there was only a small portion of posts/users that were reported more than once. To be more specific, the majority of reports were not duplicates.
mathiaus
I haven't been active here in a while, but would also like to take this opportunity to thank the users. The ones that really make the community.
Staff here are like the police. Crimes need to be reported to be acted upon, so that report as they are actively contributing are making the place even better Smile
cybersa
mathiaus wrote:
I haven't been active here in a while, but would also like to take this opportunity to thank the users. The ones that really make the community.
Staff here are like the police. Crimes need to be reported to be acted upon, so that report as they are actively contributing are making the place even better Smile

DO you have a power of moderator?
Or
More power than moderator.
twotrophy
I'll be reporting spam every time I see it. The problem of spam isn't very bad compared to other forums. It can be hard distinguishing spam and normal posts.
cheater01
I will report if i come across anything !
But could anyone tell me how to report it & what all are considered as spam in frihost ?
rx9876
cheater01 wrote:
But could anyone tell me how to report it & what all are considered as spam in frihost ?

There are 2 buttons on upper right of the post.
One is report this post, the another is reply this post.
standready
cheater01 wrote:

You see the "Report" button on the right hand side of each post. Other is on the left under member name "report this user".
Much of the spam is junk with embedded links selling some type of garbage. other things to report include adult content. This is a family friendly community.
Helios
We're doing our best I believe but we couldn't do a lot without you guys helping out with the reports. So thanks!

deanhills, I did bring it up and it was discussed. There are no push-button solutions, however the whole team is trying to battle the spam. I think that eventually it's a tug of war kind of thing and we must keep pulling and make the spammers' job tougher Wink
deanhills
Helios wrote:
deanhills, I did bring it up and it was discussed. There are no push-button solutions, however the whole team is trying to battle the spam. I think that eventually it's a tug of war kind of thing and we must keep pulling and make the spammers' job tougher Wink
Thanks for doing that Helios. It is much appreciated. Think most of us understand that at the end of the day it's Bondings' call. I still can't believe that there is a resistance to employing filters. Josso's Website is a good example of how well it works. His Website has almost ZERO spam. I don't expect zero spam here, but it would seem that so much scarce moderator energy is being invested in attending to reports that are almost 100% spam and spammer related, to the detriment of doing other things to brighten up the discussion of the forum and keep the buzz going.

Any way, I love Frihost and can't imagine what it would be like if there was no Frihost. So am grateful for what we have. However, if a discussion should come up of this nature, I'll always say the same stuff about spam. It's one of the things I feel very strongly about. In the meanwhile will do what you guys have asked us to do, which is NOT to respond to spam threads, to hit the "report" button for a post that has something wrong in it, and the "report this user" button for a spammer.
spinout
hm, where to draw the line?

I have already posted the idea of 'spam' stickies, or similar soultions to get rid of the bull...

I won no intrerest then, maybe now?'

Cos in this forum it will always be a certain level of spam, from everybody - yes everybody...

But, anyhow. Flaming, I miss some flaming - could there be a solid part for flaming or near flaming?
IceCreamTruck
This thread makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. My report finger got broken when I reported Vanilla when she was new, but I'll be sure to keep my eye out for those crazy spammers. I think there may be some in the introductions forum! Smile I usually find a few there when I go search for happy new frihosters
deanhills
IceCreamTruck wrote:
I think there may be some in the introductions forum! Smile I usually find a few there when I go search for happy new frihosters
Me too. Think I saw one there yesterday. Warning bells usually go off when there are two different new posters appearing in the same thread.