FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

whats happening to fire fox?..

budazz
i have a problem is fire fox in terms of css...

in my css i customized the textarea tag...to change the look of it...

when i test it to IE i have no problem but when i tested it on fire fox

the scrolls of the test area appeared horizontally... which end up in...nver ending text horizontally...

i dont know the problem of it...
Blamestar
Umm.... maybe you want to post the css and html code you use.... That would make it much easier to understand what you are even talking about Wink

Normally I'd say you did something wrong, cause FireFox generally displays css correctly while the InternetExplorer doesn't. But without having your source code, I can't help you much.

Btw. isn't there a forum for web design questions?

So long
Blamestar
dan751
Heres' a brief explaination:
Firefox was built based on Netscape, IE is not built based on Netscape. IE has been around longer that Firefox, therefore it's more compatable languages such as HTML CSS PHP or ASP than Firefox.
I mean, whenever I work on a webpage in cPanel using Firefox, all my backgrounds are automatically white, even though they were originally Black. Therefore, this must be a glitch in Firefox that nobody has ever mentioned.
S3nd K3ys
dan751 wrote:
Firefox was built based on Netscape, IE is not built based on Netscape. IE has been around longer that Firefox, therefore it's more compatable languages such as HTML CSS PHP or ASP than Firefox.
I mean, whenever I work on a webpage in cPanel using Firefox, all my backgrounds are automatically white, even though they were originally Black. Therefore, this must be a glitch in Firefox that nobody has ever mentioned.

Actually, FF adheres to industry standards, IE does not. Wink

http://channels.lockergnome.com/news/archives/20040615_why_you_should_dump_internet_explorer.phtml

Quote:
Standards

This is likely to get me in some hot water with my fellow security enthusiasts, but I find this issue to be of even more concern than that of IEs security. The Internet works for one simple reason - everything at its core has been built on agreements that bind it together. Whether a computer is connected from California or Sri Lanka, its going to speak the same language and obey the same rules - the rules defined by standards. If this werent the case there would be no Internet at all. These agreements are forged by a body of people whose goal is nothing short of designing a better and more efficient Internet for everyone. Microsoft, for some odd reason, seems bent on breaking stride with these agreed-upon standards. Case in point: the next time youre in a bookstore, head over to the technology section and pick up a book on XHTML or CSS. These are two major web standards that deal with how web pages are displayed to users, and within any book on the subjects you will find one common theme:

The absolute worst browser when it comes to supporting the standards is Internet Explorer.

Page after page in these books will reveal features supported in other browsers, but not in IE. Ask yourself why a company would choose not to support standards that benefit everyone? The way I see it, its for precisely one of two reasons either they are unable to, or they dont want to. Given the fact that they are a multi-billion dollar company (one of the richest on the planet), I cant help but lean toward the second option. Without going into too much detail (See Longhorn), they have their own plans, and those plans involve implementing their own standard and forcing it upon the world. Call me a geek/hippie, but the idea of a multi-billion dollar corporation snubbing its nose at agreed-upon standards is nothing short of infuriating.

S3nd K3ys
Some more recent stuff...
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/07/29/445242.aspx
Quote:
Standards and CSS in IE

Im very happy that weve shipped IE 7 beta 1. I wanted to make it clear that we know Beta 1 makes little progress for web developers in improving our standards support, particularly in our CSS implementation. I feel badly about this, but we have been focused on how to get the most done overall for IE7, so due to our lead time for locking down beta releases and ramping up our team, we could not get a whole lot done in the platform in beta 1. However, I know this will be better in Beta 2 and I want to share how we are placing our priorities in IE.
PowerSoft
Yeah sometimes my Firefox is like that too. Gets very annoying after a while. Sometimes it is just the settings. Yeah sometimes I have made a site with Transperancy on it, but that doesn't seem to work but when I go into IE with it, it works perfect. Who knows? My best offer is use IE when you are debugging your site. Bye!!
DJHicks
well surely a browser that functions properly with almost all website watever the coding.. php, html etc is running more to standards then something that doesnt operate properly!

people say that FF is faster then IE etc but i find this rubbish as FF purely runs on cache i feel...

wen workin with websites alot, i used to refresh the or goto the the url and the site would appear the same whereas IE showed the changes

also someone the other day using FF went onto my bro.s radio site where he streams using video, when they wen onto the video page they all they could see was the video stream of him dj-in, but he was offline and was streaming an episode of a comedy programme, it was only wen they used IE that they say the comedy programme and not the cache stream from the other day... how crap of FF

im usually open minded about programs but from the first day i used FF i had nothing but problems and bugs annoying me!
dkbg
These instances of "bugs" you talk about are clearly things which may work with IE's screwy standards support and proprietary code but work differently or not at all in Firefox because of its adhesion to web standards and overall superiority.

Firefox adheres to web standards much more closely than IE. When people talk about web standards, these are standards laid out by the World Wide Web Consortium which are recommendations to be followed to make sure everyone has an equal experience on the web. IE, on the other hand, has poor support for these standards as it is an old browser and Microsoft has created its own CSS and such and has therefore undermined the whole idea of web standardization.

Whether someone uses PHP or not has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the appearance of a webpage. PHP is a server-side language meaning all processing is done on the server totally independent of the browser on your end. When this processing is done, it is the author's html which is output to your browser. ASP, I can't really speak for since I've never used it, but I have heard that it can be browser specific, but since it is also a server side language this must be due to browser sniffing and if it supports IE better than Firefox, thats because it's a Microsoft technology.

Quote:

I'm sorry dan751, but what you're saying is not correct. First of all, Firefox is not based on Netscape, Netscape 8, the most recent version, is actually based on Firefox. Just because IE has been around longer does not mean it is more "compatible" with these languages, Firefox has far superior support for (x)HTML and CSS than IE, and, as I mentioned above PHP and ASP are unrelated. Now, this problem with your webpage backgrounds being the wrong colour was not exactly explained very well, but I can be pretty sure that it is not due to any bug in Firefox, rather just a different way of rendering than IE, which is almost surely the right way. Plus, since Firefox is open source and accepts bug reports, I can't believe that this "glitch" would not have been reported before.

So people please please please don't say that something is better or worse than another thing, just because one of them functions in a different way than the other, without knowing the facts first.
joshua_erceg
I always thought that Firefox just didn''t support CSS...
psycosquirrel
It does, but obviously not well. My friend Ted was having trouble with CSS in Firefox also.

Because CSS (and other languages) are different on different browsers, I tend to only use HTML, and Java on my site. I know there are scripts you can use to detect browser type, then act accordingly, so maybe you could modify your CSS to display on a browser-based dependancy. Either way, CSS often times will overcomplicate things, so keep everything simple if you can Very Happy
gcormier
I think that the problem is not Firefox, but IE. Firefox tried to respect W3C expectations and IE don't. You should read CSS 2.1 recommendations from www.w3c.com
dkbg
Of course Firefox supports CSS, and far better than IE in general. CSS is used on almost every website of any merit around the web, its pretty much unavoidable and is an amazing tool for webpage creation.

I can't see how someone could NOT use CSS on a website unless it was just barebones unformatted text... And browser sniffing is NOT the answer. To say that CSS overcomplicates things could be true if all you want is regular text without any kind of aesthetic design, but if you want anything more than that, CSS is actually a more streamlined tool than nested tables and whatnot.

gcormier, your post is mostly right except that your link should be to w3.org, not w3c.com which is actually something totally unrelated.

I repeat, Firefox supports CSS better than IE and is a better browser in general people!! It is not the problem, IE is the problem.
wutangdan
"woosh, he said, as it all went flying way way way over his head