FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

NTFS and FAT32

n0obie4life
Well, I now have an Windows ME and a Windows XP, both are FAT32 systems and I'm planning to switch the XP to NTFS.

As I know, NTFS only supports Windows NT4, Windows 2000, and Windows XP while FAT32 supoprts Windows 95B, Windows 98(SE), Windows ME, Windows XP.

I frequently transfer files from my XP to ME and vice versa. According to a website I found,

NTFS can read the FAT32 File System but FAT32 cannot read the NTFS file system.

So if I transfer a file from my Windows XP to my Windows ME, would it work?

I don't want to switch then switch back.

Making a system NTFS is simple, just going to command prompt and type "convert x: /fs:ntfs" where x is the drive to convert. But making a system back to FAT32 is, err. Difficult and I have to lose my files.
babumuchhala
yes n0ob u will be able to transfer files from XP to Me but not back from Me to XP.

All the files & softwares will work. There is no problem in that.

As for converting to ntfs & fat32 i only know one way & thats FORMATT :p
So thanks for the command line.

Just a Q why do u wanna have that buggy Me, shift it to 98, its better than Me.
n0obie4life
Windows ME came with my 4 year old PC Rolling Eyes

So I won't be able to transfer files from my XP to WINME Neutral

Thats one thing to think about.
ml
Quote:
/edit/ sorry, wrong thread
gonzo
babumuchhala wrote:
yes n0ob u will be able to transfer files from XP to Me but not back from Me to XP.

GASP... look who is calling the kettle black!!!!

Quote:
converting to ntfs & fat32 i only know one way & thats FORMATT

BZZT wrong you noob. :p

n0obie4life wrote:

Before I volunteer volumes of information, at the risk of being "deemed" spam I'd like to know if

(1) you foolishly have multiple OSes installed on one physical drive
or
(2) you are refering to two computer each with one OS

There are a variety of entertaining ways to interop reading foreign filesystes. WinME CAN be enabled to read NTFS, and XP, which is NOT a filesystem, but an OS, can NATIVELY read either NTFS or any flavor of FAT*

* except FATx, the XBOX filesystem
gonzo
Acutally now that I think of it I'll only help you if you rescind your erroneous warning against me.
babumuchhala
n0obie4life wrote:
So replace it with Win 98. Its better

n0obie4life wrote:

Thats one thing to think about.
No u will be able to transfer stuff from XP to Win Me and use it later in Me. And in XP Me's drive will only be a drive. So all file transfer possible when using XP no file transfer possible when using Me.
n0obie4life
gonzo wrote:
Acutally now that I think of it I'll only help you if you rescind your erroneous warning against me.

I took it off.

And its 2 computers Wink

I'm lost.

Some websites say that files in NTFS drives can't run on FAT32 drives.

So lettme clarify this...if I

- Transfer a file from windows ME to windows XP

it works.

But if I

- Transfer a file from windows XP to windows ME

it doesn't?
pixelsmack
yes thats correct you cannot read an NTFS partition from Me. however the question is beggedas to why you have XP and Me on one machine surley it would be far simpilar to just use XP and have the one operatring system? am i missing something here?
n0obie4life
No. Its 2 seperate machines Rolling Eyes
pixelsmack
ahhh that explains alot!! anyway in which case it would probably still be possible to share files over the network as you would normally just not mount partitions locally. or you could seup an FTP server on the Win XP machine if you wanted to transfer files that way and just dump them via FTP.
budazz
i just noticed that ntfs os faster when tranfering a files...i using fat32...

mybe fat32 is too FAT to tranfers all the files he is slower lol lol...just kiddin
SoftStag
If you are transferring files over a network, then you will have no problem. The host machine containing the info reads the drive and passes it on to the client. If you put a NTFS hard drive directly in to the Me machine, then it will not read it.
babumuchhala
n0obie4life wrote:
But if I

- Transfer a file from windows XP to windows ME

it doesn't?
i really donno. If u r able to transfer files from XP to Me, it should work. The files that wont work will be the system files, the .doc's & mp3 files should work, normally. .exe will work 99%

Tell me what files do u intend to run & i might be able to tell that to u
Marcin_K
All files will work on both systems - the problem is that u cannot read a ntfs DRIVE under Me. And I mean the drive, not the files. Files are there and can be read on all systems from DOS to XP and back Smile but you'll need XP system to access the drive. And without it u cannot read the files. And that's it! If u burn ur files on a cd on XP and put it in Me they'll be there. And vice-versa. If u transfer them using LAN - they're there. U just cannot read an ntfs drive under Me Very Happy
n0obie4life
Okay...thanks for all your advices Wink

Yeah, I'm jsut transferring docs,exe,mp3..nothing much.

I wouldn't transfer system files Rolling Eyes
gonzo
n0obie4life wrote:

And its 2 computers Wink

Well in that case there's a less traumatic process:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=202+0145
Jack_Hammer
I made my system 'Windows XP Pro x64' all run with NTFS formatted HDD I personally can't really tell the difference, though I never thought about the backward compatability of it and might have problems using my files on other systems.
klingoncowboy4
I am going to make a machine with win2k, win98se, and slackware linux. Windows 200 will have ntfs, 98 fat32, and slackware ext2 (of coarse). Slackware autmatically mounts the win2k and win98 partions on install. I am going to also add a FAT32 tranfer patition for tranfering files.
decayed.cell
Well, NTFS is meant to be more secure because it supports file encryption, and is also said to be more stable, however, as a trade off, it is slower than FAT32. FAT32 has the advantage of being compatible with 16-bit operating systems such as Windows ME, Windows 98 etc, but I have found that it is really a pain in the bum to defragment. It takes much longer to defragment a FAT32 drive than a NTFS one.

If you're really desperate to run Windows 98, then you can partition the drive into two, and format one as NTFS and one as FAT32. But make sure that you install Windows 98 first, then Windows XP, otherwise you won't be able to multi boot your computer.
Summer
Maybe you can upgrade the Windows ME to XP . Then you will have two Win XP . Easier when transfering files .
n0obie4life
Summer wrote:
Maybe you can upgrade the Windows ME to XP . Then you will have two Win XP . Easier when transfering files .

Upgrading ME to XP is the worst thing I can do. The winme PC can't even support Windows Me properly.

@klingoncowboy4

Please tell me the results Wink
technology.sponge
yeh it shud work
transfering the file only copies the actual data in the file
ntfs and fat32 r just the ways its written to the hdd

if all comes to worst
just burn files to a cd/dvd or removable flash disk
while u get any probs sorted out
corey
If you can "see" one computer from another on a network, then you can share files as long as sharing is enabled on the host machines. The filesystem means nothing.

Do you have the two computers networked with a hub or router? Have you enabled sharing? If so, just transfer to your heart's content! I listen to mp3s from one computer on another all the time - not even transferring! But, if I want to, I can transfer the file as well. It's just like on the same machine - only a bit slower. If you need more help, just keep asking. Smile
cokdes
how about the new file system that will be used by microsoft?
I've been read an article of that..