FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


A bug of Frihost forums





inuyasha
Just now I removed several words from one of my posts and it showed I earned X points. But actually the post was shortened and X points should be taken from me. I checked my points immediately and found there are in fact fewer than before. The message was wrong, I guess.

So I suppose there's an unexpected abs() in the source codes of Frihost forums. It's nothing fatal but ... perhaps it might confuse new members of Frihost.
likeabreeze
inuyasha wrote:
Just now I removed several words from one of my posts and it showed I earned X points. But actually the post was shortened and X points should be taken from me. I checked my points immediately and found there are in fact fewer than before. The message was wrong, I guess.

So I suppose there's an unexpected abs() in the source codes of Frihost forums. It's nothing fatal but ... perhaps it might confuse new members of Frihost.

No, nothing is wrong here.
"You earned X points for that post" means you earned X points for that post in total.
Let's say you earned Y points after you post the thread for the first time, and after you removed several words from the thread, (Y-X) points were taken from you, actually, so, you earned X points..
TomS
Nah. When you edit a post you get like 0.01235 points or something. Even if you remove a word.
darthrevan
Yeah it does show that, though I think it means in reality that X amount of points have been removed because of the shortening. At first I thought it was a bug or something was wrong, but I figured that out and just ignored it. Now if it was giving me extra points then I would report it, but that is me.
inuyasha
likeabreeze wrote:
"You earned X points for that post" means you earned X points for that post in total.

That can't be "in total", because X was only 0.04 points or so. As we know, a post is worth at least 1 point.

darthrevan wrote:
Now if it was giving me extra points then I would report it, but that is me.

Very Happy Yeah. And if it were giving me extra points but showed X points was removed, I would still report it too~

TomS wrote:
Nah. When you edit a post you get like 0.01235 points or something. Even if you remove a word.

You don't really get it but lose it as you should~ But the wrong message that the system shows confuses people. Very Happy
likeabreeze
inuyasha wrote:

That can't be "in total", because X was only 0.04 points or so. As we know, a post is worth at least 1 point.

Just tried it, and I was proved wrong.
k_s_baskar
think it is additional points given by admin for taking care for quality of posts.by edit it Smile
kaysch
Here's another bug.
I can't switch to page 2 of threads. Whenever I try to do so, I stay at page No. 1.
Any clues?
zimmer
inuyasha wrote:
Just now I removed several words from one of my posts and it showed I earned X points. But actually the post was shortened and X points should be taken from me. I checked my points immediately and found there are in fact fewer than before. The message was wrong, I guess.

So I suppose there's an unexpected abs() in the source codes of Frihost forums. It's nothing fatal but ... perhaps it might confuse new members of Frihost.


I don't experience that ever since. Everything goes smoothly. Only sometimes the server gets busy.
fouadCh
inuyasha wrote:
Just now I removed several words from one of my posts and it showed I earned X points. But actually the post was shortened and X points should be taken from me. I checked my points immediately and found there are in fact fewer than before. The message was wrong, I guess.

So I suppose there's an unexpected abs() in the source codes of Frihost forums. It's nothing fatal but ... perhaps it might confuse new members of Frihost.

You're right, I get that too .. but that's fine and there is nothing to be confused about.. It just shows the generosity of the Frihost service :-)
fouadCh
kaysch wrote:
Here's another bug.
I can't switch to page 2 of threads. Whenever I try to do so, I stay at page No. 1.
Any clues?

You're right too, but I experienced that only within a given thread, which I can't recall now..

But the really missing functionality here is that you can't jump directly to a given post... Say, for example, if you're browsing the list of your posts and click on one of them, you're directed to the beginning of the thread not jump directly to that post of yours... That's also why, I presume, we're lacking the option to jump directly to the last post of a thread in this board..
Peterssidan
fouadCh wrote:
But the really missing functionality here is that you can't jump directly to a given post... Say, for example, if you're browsing the list of your posts and click on one of them, you're directed to the beginning of the thread not jump directly to that post of yours...

I guess the list you are talking about is the one at http://www.frihost.com/users/YourUserName/latest-posts.html. It is a bit misleading that is says "Latests 200 forum posts" because it only shows each thread once. It should have said something like "Latests 200 threads taken part in", because that is what it is. With that in mind it makes more sense to link to the beginning of the thread.

The list at http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_author=YourUserName contains all your posts and has direct links to the posts you made. Only problem is that it's hard to get a good overview.

You can also use the list at http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch. It contains all the threads that you have taken part in.

fouadCh wrote:
That's also why, I presume, we're lacking the option to jump directly to the last post of a thread in this board..

It is possible from some places. Look out for the icon.
fouadCh
Peterssidan wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
But the really missing functionality here is that you can't jump directly to a given post... Say, for example, if you're browsing the list of your posts and click on one of them, you're directed to the beginning of the thread not jump directly to that post of yours...

I guess the list you are talking about is the one at http://www.frihost.com/users/YourUserName/latest-posts.html. It is a bit misleading that is says "Latests 200 forum posts" because it only shows each thread once. It should have said something like "Latests 200 threads taken part in", because that is what it is. With that in mind it makes more sense to link to the beginning of the thread.

The list at http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_author=YourUserName contains all your posts and has direct links to the posts you made. Only problem is that it's hard to get a good overview.

You can also use the list at http://www.frihost.com/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch. It contains all the threads that you have taken part in.

fouadCh wrote:
That's also why, I presume, we're lacking the option to jump directly to the last post of a thread in this board..

It is possible from some places. Look out for the icon.

Thanks, your reply just confirms what I was saying.. the board lacks the functionality to jump right to a given post.. It's a great user interface usability feature (which exists in various generic forums).. and It's not hard to be implemented; It's just a matter of giving each post's container (whatever it is) its own id ("post_"+ postID), then scroll to it when loading the thread by using the scrollIntoView() method which exists on all HTML elements to get the container element (or the browser's window) to scroll so that our targeted element/post be visible in the viewport.
Peterssidan
fouadCh wrote:
Thanks, your reply just confirms what I was saying.. the board lacks the functionality to jump right to a given post.. It's a great user interface usability feature (which exists in various generic forums)..

I don't see how it confirms what you was saying. The functionality is there, just not where you want it to be.

fouadCh wrote:
and It's not hard to be implemented; It's just a matter of giving each post's container (whatever it is) its own id ("post_"+ postID), then scroll to it when loading the thread by using the scrollIntoView() method which exists on all HTML elements to get the container element (or the browser's window) to scroll so that our targeted element/post be visible in the viewport.

This is already implemented. The icon at the top of the post is a link to the post.
SonLight
As Peter said, the tags to jump directly to a specific post are in place, and there are at least a couple of places the feature is used in the forums. You can bookmark a specific post with the little icon on each one. That feature is very subtle, and I didn't realize it existed for a long time. You can also click on "last post" of a thread when you see the list of a single forum's posts or a search result. Peter also gives some good examples if you want to build your own url's.

There is one weakness. The tags are apparently not in place in blog posts. There are no icons in blog threads. When you have a list of blog threads displayed, the "last post" links are present, but they do not work because the url is different for blogs.
fouadCh
Peterssidan wrote:

fouadCh wrote:
That's also why, I presume, we're lacking the option to jump directly to the last post of a thread in this board..

It is possible from some places. Look out for the icon.

I just checked for this one (which I didn't pay much attention to it in my last post), and yes the jump to the last post of a thread is there (not obvious but it's there)... Thanks to both of you for that heads up !.. This is very useful for multi-pages threads.

Peterssidan wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
and It's not hard to be implemented; It's just a matter of giving each post's container (whatever it is) its own id ("post_"+ postID), then scroll to it when loading the thread by using the scrollIntoView() method which exists on all HTML elements to get the container element (or the browser's window) to scroll so that our targeted element/post be visible in the viewport.

This is already implemented. The icon at the top of the post is a link to the post.

I checked the code too.. It's implemented by the old-fashioned way of "fragment identifier" where the jump use a named link and a URL including a hash symbol (#) followed by the link name... Its only merit is that it doesn't need any JavaScript.

Peterssidan wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
Thanks, your reply just confirms what I was saying.. the board lacks the functionality to jump right to a given post.. It's a great user interface usability feature (which exists in various generic forums)..

I don't see how it confirms what you was saying. The functionality is there, just not where you want it to be.

Sorry if you don't see things the way I do UI usability-wise... but I still maintain that it would be cool and user-friendly if from our post listing we can jump directly to the referenced post without having to search it within the thread..
saratdear
For the OP, it actually takes away the points shown in the message - "You have earned X points for this post". I'd made a post about this a couple of years back I guess, but since it wasn't a huge bug or anything..
kaysch
fouadCh wrote:
kaysch wrote:
Here's another bug.
I can't switch to page 2 of threads. Whenever I try to do so, I stay at page No. 1.
Any clues?

You're right too, but I experienced that only within a given thread, which I can't recall now..


Here's an example: If I type in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-146601-2.html I don't get to page 2, but I am redirected to http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-146601.html - which is page 1 of that post.
Qantas94Heavy
kaysch wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
kaysch wrote:
Here's another bug.
I can't switch to page 2 of threads. Whenever I try to do so, I stay at page No. 1.
Any clues?

You're right too, but I experienced that only within a given thread, which I can't recall now..


Here's an example: If I type in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-146601-2.html I don't get to page 2, but I am redirected to http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-146601.html - which is page 1 of that post.


I think that's because one of the posts have been deleted, and if they were still there there would be a second page. Since there are no posts on this "second page", if you try and load that page you'll be redirected to the last valid page (page 1). Otherwise I have no idea why this type of thing would occur, it's not like the page numbers shown are put in randomly... Rolling Eyes
Peterssidan
kaysch wrote:
Here's an example: If I type in http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-146601-2.html I don't get to page 2, but I am redirected to http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-146601.html - which is page 1 of that post.

I am not redirected. If you are are logged out you will be redirected because everything is shown on one page for logged out users.
fouadCh
fouadCh wrote:
inuyasha wrote:
Just now I removed several words from one of my posts and it showed I earned X points. But actually the post was shortened and X points should be taken from me. I checked my points immediately and found there are in fact fewer than before. The message was wrong, I guess.

So I suppose there's an unexpected abs() in the source codes of Frihost forums. It's nothing fatal but ... perhaps it might confuse new members of Frihost.

You're right, I get that too .. but that's fine and there is nothing to be confused about.. It just shows the generosity of the Frihost service :-)


It seems that this issue has been dealt with... No more extra (free) points from editing your posts from now on !.. Hope the other issues raised in this thread will get the same attention...
ocalhoun
fouadCh wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
inuyasha wrote:
Just now I removed several words from one of my posts and it showed I earned X points. But actually the post was shortened and X points should be taken from me. I checked my points immediately and found there are in fact fewer than before. The message was wrong, I guess.

So I suppose there's an unexpected abs() in the source codes of Frihost forums. It's nothing fatal but ... perhaps it might confuse new members of Frihost.

You're right, I get that too .. but that's fine and there is nothing to be confused about.. It just shows the generosity of the Frihost service Smile


It seems that this issue has been dealt with... No more extra (free) points from editing your posts from now on !.. Hope the other issues raised in this thread will get the same attention...

You're actually not gaining points. Watch your point total as you do this.

When it says "You have earned X points for editing this post" that may actually mean it deducted points.
You see, it doesn't display a negative sign in front of the number when one is needed: that's the flaw.
However, you actually are 'gaining' -X points.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
When it says "You have earned X points for editing this post" that may actually mean it deducted points.
You see, it doesn't display a negative sign in front of the number when one is needed: that's the flaw.
However, you actually are 'gaining' -X points.
True. And sometimes when one clicks on "edit" and re-submits a post without making changes to it it may randomly add .0088.
fouadCh
ocalhoun wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
fouadCh wrote:
inuyasha wrote:
Just now I removed several words from one of my posts and it showed I earned X points. But actually the post was shortened and X points should be taken from me. I checked my points immediately and found there are in fact fewer than before. The message was wrong, I guess.

So I suppose there's an unexpected abs() in the source codes of Frihost forums. It's nothing fatal but ... perhaps it might confuse new members of Frihost.

You're right, I get that too .. but that's fine and there is nothing to be confused about.. It just shows the generosity of the Frihost service :-)


It seems that this issue has been dealt with... No more extra (free) points from editing your posts from now on !.. Hope the other issues raised in this thread will get the same attention...

You're actually not gaining points. Watch your point total as you do this.

When it says "You have earned X points for editing this post" that may actually mean it deducted points.
You see, it doesn't display a negative sign in front of the number when one is needed: that's the flaw.
However, you actually are 'gaining' -X points
.

Thanks for pointing that out, but I think that was the flaw.. the last time I checked, It no longer report any point to be added (at all).. I wasn't too careful though.. may be next time I'll be more attentive ..

Anyway, I'm wondering if the developer(s) of this board is/are still around... and if he is still willing to upgrade it.. I can't help but notice that the Frihost board is victim of its own success/longevity.. being around for up to 7 years (an eternity as far as Web technologies evolution is concerned..), there is a lot of upgrading that needs to be done.. and I guess that might be something that may not be appreciated by all the old-timers ..

.. so my question to the owner is : are we going to see a new version of Frihost any time soon, or is it too tricky to do ?...

EDIT :
Now I can confirm that the "generosity bug" (ADDING fractions of points : 0.0088, when removing contents from your post) is still there..
Just amazing.. because I'm positive that there was many cases when there is no point fractions added when I deleted content from my posts... Which didn't happen right now !!!... Which shows its randomness... (Randomness in a program's behavior ?!!.. Pretty amazing indeed :-) )

EDIT2:
I was joking when I talked about randomness of course... I think what might explain the perceived randomness is that when you reach the 5 points ceiling/limit per post (I'm not sure about this ceiling thing, but I guess it is so from my own posting experience here) , the program stops adding points to that post of yours...
Related topics
what happen to frihost today
FriHost Forums...
admin,i hope add a chinese forum in our frihost forums.
Are the Frihost forums undergoing a DOS attack?
** Frihost Forums FAQ **
FriHost Forums on my iPAQ
FriHost forums
Cannot access frihost forums if the "www" is omitt
A bug in forums?
Google Chrome + Frihost Forums txt error..
What motivates you to post in Frihost forums?
Difficulty in accessing Frihost & Frihost forums
abhizz from India
Frihost's Activity Measure
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Support and Web Hosting -> Frihost Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.