FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What gives you the best fealing money or making things?

chasbeen
I did a presentation tonight on a related subject to cognitive science.
This is an area of new interest to me as the talk after me, made by a professor was on Cognitive science

It was a coincidence...

One emerging fact was that our conscious self is really a common thing shared by many.
This is a radical thing and mind blowing.

Another related but down to earth thing is that humans prefer to make things they are suddenly interested in. If you get the same group of humans and try and pay them to make something specific.
They will do it for money but they will have only a fraction of the interest.

People like mKing their own stuff and prefer that to making money in many ways?

Have you noticed that?
Afaceinthematrix
I care about the money.

My reasoning is that I don't care much about physical stuff that you can create; I care about events and the memories that those events create. I don't care about having the best technology. My computer is ten years old, my cell phone was the cheap free one that they give you with the plan, my television is an old tube tv, I don't play video games, and I purchased most of my clothes used (the only new clothes that I buy are t-shirts with band logos on them and I only purchase the band t-shirts to support my favorite bands), etc.

Some of the the physical things that I do purchase are beer (and I also make my own) and necessities. I do like making my own food (I cook constantly with tomatoes because my plant right now is giving off way too many tomatoes and so I try to add them into every meal) and as far as everything else - I purchased used. I try to spend as little money as I can on most physical things.

What are my enjoyments in life? Traveling (I want to see 100 countries some day), going to concerts, outdoor recreation (kayaking, canoeing, fishing, camping, hiking, wilderness survival trips), health/fitness, etc...

So with traveling and concerts you cannot make those - you just have to have money. With outdoor recreation you do need supplies but I own all of the supplies that I need already. So really, it just comes down to having the money to get to the places that I want to go to. With health and fitness you just need a will to do it. So really, money does me much more good than making things because I have most of what I need and I can purchase the rest used for probably less than it would take to make it (seriously... if you go to a thrift store (it's what we call secondhand shops in the U.S.) and get really nice clothes for much cheaper than the fabric that they were made out of simply because someone couldn't be bothered wearing last year's style and so they gave it to the shop to go out and waste some more) and so why would I make it if it doesn't save me money?
deanhills
I've got regular income for now, but if I should be without money, I'll probably be more focused on it as important in my life. Money is important of course as it means independence and having more choices of where to live, what to do, quality of life and traveling.
darthrevan
I can see how creating your own stuff can be full-filling though myself also like having the money. Maybe combine them both by making stuff and selling it.
wellerchap
I'm always happier doing stuff for enjoyment, rather than money...I build/maintain a website for my friends scooter parts business without pay - now & then he lets me have parts free, which is excellent, but it's the creativity I enjoy.
It's correct that people generally do a better job if their heart & soul is in it, rather than just being told to do it and there'll be money at the end of it.
I don't do stuff at work well because on thursday I get paid, I do it as I'll get satisfaction from doing something well. That said, if there was no wage at the end of it I wouldn't be there, so it's a necessary evil.
As The Beatles once sang "I don't care too much for money - cos money can't buy me a sense of achievement & accomplishment".
Or something like that.
standready
darthrevan wrote:
I can see how creating your own stuff can be full-filling though myself also like having the money. Maybe combine them both by making stuff and selling it.

I like having money but also enjoy creating things to sell like in my sig below. Also create music.
chasbeen
The trick is doing something you enjoy and getting paid for it.
For a professional sportsmen it is easy
For a computer programmer it's harder and for a
Swimming pool attendant down right impossible!
deanhills
chasbeen wrote:
Swimming pool attendant down right impossible!
Laughing Guess it's much better to be a life guard on the beach ..... Twisted Evil
chasbeen
Oh know !
Sorry DH being a lifeguard on a beach is completely different!
I mean you are in a much more narrow surrounding and must feel at one with nature.
Insanity
I think I like making things more than money... of course, it would be best to be able to do both at the same time.
Helios
Even though there are people who simply enjoy money and the process of gathering it,
I do believe that most people out there care about creating something on their own much more than caring whether they receive money for it or not. I think that people enjoy feeling they are useful and the feeling accompanied by accomplishment is generally very satisfying.

However money can't be simply erased from the equation, as Afaceinthematrix stated and if I understood what he tried to say, you simply need the money. Money is the fuel the world runs on and even if you're a serious survival-prepper-self-sufficient type of a human being you will need some money at least in the beginning.
zaxacongrejo
Making things wile i earn money seems to be the best approx.
sudipbanerjee
For me money is priority than making things
mshafiq
money give you good feeling.when you have money you can make what ever you want.without money you can not do any thing.if you have money you don't have any worries like money problem because money teaches you how to make more money.it means your mind is working. imagine without making money how is the live.they are always in tension. they want to do some thing but they cannot find the way.it is very very hard situation.
jajarvin
When you get paid for doing something, you are working.
On the other hand if you do something just for fun you are enjoying your life.
deanhills
Both. But making things really makes one feel good about oneself. Maybe the two could be combined.
loveandormoney
chasbeen wrote:
I did a presentation tonight on a related subject to cognitive science.
This is an area of new interest to me as the talk after me, made by a professor was on Cognitive science

It was a coincidence...

One emerging fact was that our conscious self is really a common thing shared by many.
This is a radical thing and mind blowing.

Another related but down to earth thing is that humans prefer to make things they are suddenly interested in. If you get the same group of humans and try and pay them to make something specific.
They will do it for money but they will have only a fraction of the interest.

People like mKing their own stuff and prefer that to making money in many ways?

Have you noticed that?

What gives you the best

Humans.

Because it is very hard to eat money.
Also it is very hard to laugh with a piece of gold.

If You want to be rich
then sell aggressive toys
people will like it and people will buy it.