FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Over 100'000 registered users





truespeed
Quote:
We have 100011 registered users


A percentage of them will be spammers but still very impressive.
Peterssidan
70% of them have 0 posts. Wink
darthrevan
Peterssidan wrote:
70% of them have 0 posts. Wink


Well we have to make up for those registered users that doesn't post anything.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
70% of them have 0 posts. Wink
Did you count them, or is this just an estimate? I'd have thought it would have been much higher.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:
70% of them have 0 posts. Wink
Did you count them, or is this just an estimate? I'd have thought it would have been much higher.


I wouldn't think it would be that much. In my previous host I always wanted to delete the accounts that were old and don't post anymore or didn't post.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
I wouldn't think it would be that much. In my previous host I always wanted to delete the accounts that were old and don't post anymore or didn't post.
The ones I'm interested to delete are the ones who have spam links in them. I can't remember the article I read about this, but those are almost like "parked spam".
cybersa
Peterssidan wrote:
70% of them have 0 posts. Wink

Yeah it is true Sad
70253 have 0 post out of 100054.
70.21508385471845% of them have 0 post.

Only 15.32% have more than 5 post. Evil or Very Mad
I think very less number of active member.
Really bad Sad

Bondings should clean this forum.
truespeed
Peterssidan wrote:
70% of them have 0 posts. Wink


I wonder if frihost delete spammers or just their posts.

70% might be normal,I will check mine when I get time to see what the percentage on my forum is,I wouldn't be surprised if it was as high as 70%.
darthrevan
I definitely agree that getting rid of the ones with links atleast, that way their site, assuming that it is their site, doesn't get higher search rankings.
Josso
Yeah they just get banned then their accounts aren't deleted I don't think.

Way I am doing it on BB3 atm is if they get past the stop forum spam database I will 1. email ban, 2. ban IP with message regarding removing it from the blacklist, 3. delete user + posts. But with a forum this size it is not as easy.


tbh still a quite good post count and active user count. It's like one of those things... small userbase but dedicated userbase. Most of the time anyway.
truespeed
How many active users on here (those who have posted once or more) ,has anyone checked?
deanhills
Josso wrote:
Way I am doing it on BB3 atm is if they get past the stop forum spam database I will 1. email ban, 2. ban IP with message regarding removing it from the blacklist, 3. delete user + posts. But with a forum this size it is not as easy.
Am totally impressed with that.

I wonder how significant the number of members is with regard to income from advertising though. If one would delete all of the zero accounts and the number of members drop by 70%, would that affect the bottom line in terms of advertising revenue?
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
Josso wrote:
Way I am doing it on BB3 atm is if they get past the stop forum spam database I will 1. email ban, 2. ban IP with message regarding removing it from the blacklist, 3. delete user + posts. But with a forum this size it is not as easy.
Am totally impressed with that.

I wonder how significant the number of members is with regard to income from advertising though. If one would delete all of the zero accounts and the number of members drop by 70%, would that affect the bottom line in terms of advertising revenue?


None at all,most clicks on here come from guest traffic,I assume that is the case on most forums.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Josso wrote:
Way I am doing it on BB3 atm is if they get past the stop forum spam database I will 1. email ban, 2. ban IP with message regarding removing it from the blacklist, 3. delete user + posts. But with a forum this size it is not as easy.
Am totally impressed with that.

I wonder how significant the number of members is with regard to income from advertising though. If one would delete all of the zero accounts and the number of members drop by 70%, would that affect the bottom line in terms of advertising revenue?


None at all,most clicks on here come from guest traffic,I assume that is the case on most forums.
Was unaware of that. OK. Makes great sense now that I look at it from a "clicks" point of view. Thanks.
Josso
Yeah the bulk of spam users do not contribute at all as all the ads are on viewtopic? I'm pretty sure anyway
Peterssidan
I think that removing zero accounts is a good idea because it makes a lot of names available for new members to use.
darthrevan
Yeah I would say go for deleting the accounts that are inactive, though the only bad thing is that new users might think that we don't have a large user base, though I suspect we would still have a decent amount of users left.
deanhills
100,000 is still impressive though. Have noticed quite a number of new members, as well as returning members. And yesterday morning's posting was great fun as well. Long time since I got into delaying things I needed to do, in order to not miss the discussions that were going on.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
100,000 is still impressive though. Have noticed quite a number of new members, as well as returning members. And yesterday morning's posting was great fun as well. Long time since I got into delaying things I needed to do, in order to not miss the discussions that were going on.


Wow that is crazy LOL. I was kinda bored today, so I just sat here posted most of the day. Also started looking into the idea of rooting my phone as well.
truespeed
On my forum 1215 have posted (active) out of 10800,so that is around 10% active members,which means 90% aren't,so frihosts 70% isn't that bad,admittedly they are different kinds of forums and you would think having hosting as an incentive would encourage more people to post than not.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
On my forum 1215 have posted (active) out of 10800,so that is around 10% active members,which means 90% aren't,so frihosts 70% isn't that bad,admittedly they are different kinds of forums and you would think having hosting as an incentive would encourage more people to post than not.
Could it be the 5-post thing that makes the difference? Most people who sign up, sign up for Website space, and may try their hand at making posts, then give up.
milkshake01
Frihost should de-activate inactive accounts. A good way to prevent spam is to require e-mail verification.
truespeed
milkshake01 wrote:
Frihost should de-activate inactive accounts. A good way to prevent spam is to require e-mail verification.


With 100'000 users and 70% inactive accounts,that could take some time.

Plus if they don't post and they aren't spamming links,there is no harm in having them on the memberlist.
grofet
auto spamming bot will registering a lot of accounts for later use
i think account deletion or auto ban for spammer is a must
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
Frihost should de-activate inactive accounts. A good way to prevent spam is to require e-mail verification.

i havenít see were frihost is located -based yet but because of the template style i imagine this is German work maybe Iím wrong but i have the feeling of, in that case frihost canít just delete the accounts
Because the European law says that service providers must maintain accounts and his data for a period of 5 years


Quote:
auto spamming bot will registering a lot of accounts for later use
i think account deletion or auto ban for spammer is a must


autospam bots will not last long here this an active comunity so moderators are always arround
Peterssidan
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Because the European law says that service providers must maintain accounts and his data for a period of 5 years
I doubt this is true. I have never heard of such a law.
zaxacongrejo
so there you have a great chance to dig about it and contradict me
Peterssidan
I think one of the servers is located in Germany so what you say is to some degree relevant.

zaxacongrejo wrote:
so there you have a great chance to dig about it and contradict me

You are saying I should find some evidence that the law you mentioned doesn't exist? How do I do that without quoting the whole EU law book (if there is such a thing). It would be much easier if you could point at some evidence of such a law's existence.

I live in a country that's part of EU so I think I should at least have heard about such a law. There are some laws that force ISPs, and the like, to store information for some time (usually much shorter than 5 years). I don't know about German laws so I can't say if they have some special laws about this.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
I live in a country that's part of EU so I think I should at least have heard about such a law. There are some laws that force ISPs, and the like, to store information for some time (usually much shorter than 5 years). I don't know about German laws so I can't say if they have some special laws about this.


we are talking about that exact law as been updated 2 years ago i guess now 5 years

Quote:
There are some laws that force ISPs


When i meant service providers i was thinking in isps i donít know because i never had a hosting company, if those donít apply also to hosting providers but anyway this is a free host probably doesnít applies here

Iím not trying an argue lol is just my English that isnít great Smile
Peterssidan
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Quote:
I live in a country that's part of EU so I think I should at least have heard about such a law. There are some laws that force ISPs, and the like, to store information for some time (usually much shorter than 5 years). I don't know about German laws so I can't say if they have some special laws about this.

we are talking about that exact law as been updated 2 years ago i guess now 5 years

2 years? hmm. Are you talking about the Data Retention Directive? I think that is just about storing log information about the communication like the websites you visit, timestamps, IPs, etc.

zaxacongrejo wrote:
Quote:
There are some laws that force ISPs

When i meant service providers i was thinking in isps i donít know because i never had a hosting company, if those donít apply also to hosting providers but anyway this is a free host probably doesnít applies here

Hosting companies are probably users of the Internet like everybody else. In this case we are actually talking about the Frihost forum so the rules should be the same as for any other forum.

zaxacongrejo wrote:
Iím not trying an argue lol is just my English that isnít great Smile

Ok, good. I don't have enough knowledge to continue this discussion. Razz
zaxacongrejo
Not even hi have that knowledge but is a great oportunity for both to dig about it
Knowledge is always welcome thanks for the link I will read it
darthrevan
I would also say that email verification would help atleast. Maybe during the signup, do a captcha(good one) and then require email to be verified and then a different secure captcha.
zaxacongrejo
you have an email verification at the signup
captcha can be easly cheated by bots the only way is to autodelete inactive acounts within a specific timing
Related topics
FriHost Tops 10,004 registered users
Cerca de 100.000 chinos se llaman "Wang Tao", El n
New Record on frihost
Over 10,000 inactive members!
20,434 FriHost Registered Users - Congratulations
Looking For Mods For My Site! 50 FRIH$ Frihost Mods Wanted!
AOL releases search data of over 600.000 users
How many registered users.
who know how to make wireless connection become faster?
Whos Getting over 100 Hit per day
Free images, No copyright
Democrats to increase tax burden over $5,000 per taxpayer
$100,000 left stashed inside Salvation Army store suitcase
IS THIS A NEW PAYPAL?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.