FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you have a fish tank?

lovescience
Do you have a fish tank?

How big is your fish tank?

How did you choose the fish tank?
Ankhanu
Two, currently; a 15Gal. with a male and female Betta splendens and an apple snail, and a wide deep format 40ishGal. community.
I chose them based on what was available to me at the time with space and budgetary constraints Razz
ShannonHBC
Oh, I wish I had fish! Very Happy I find them interesting. Too bad I couldn't buy them currently. Maybe in the future.
dude_xyx
I have several fish tanks. A javelin golden Severum tank (19 pairs). another tank with Adult golden severum pair. A tank with 5 peral scale calico goldfish. Octagon tank (empty at the moment) and another couple of tanks with guppie and Koi swordtail.
quatre044
no idont have Laughing
zaxacongrejo
Ive been a breeder for a lot of time of hot and salty water fish
now i dont have any tank and thanks good i stop it starts like an hobby them passes to a kind of an addition and them when you know everything about it you lose the interest and business starts to go down and etc. etc. So i did it and no regret it was good experience but i dont recommend, in this days ,save your money for better things buy a dog instead or fund a shelter but anyways if you need some advice i can teach you how to avoid the dealers assault at your wallet each time you go to the shop:)
grofet
i have very small fish tank with a catfish on it
cybersa
I have fish tank over 6 years.
I will post some photos of it when i have free time.
bluepig83
No, I don't have a fish tank. Although growing up, my father had one. It was pretty huge. And every once in a while, cleaning it would be a pain. Takes quite a bit of maintenance to make sure the sides don't algae up, even if you have those algae eating fish in there.
rjraaz
No, I don't have a fish tank. Even I am also not in favor of having such of things. I never understand why people have those.
codersfriend
We used to have. It also had an air pump. But we stopped having fish as pets since it costs a lot considering the food, change of water, and cleaning of the fish tank
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
We used to have. It also had an air pump. But we stopped having fish as pets since it costs a lot considering the food, change of water, and cleaning of the fish tank

For cold water tanks the best is to buy lake fish will do the same effect and they are much stronger
And can last for decades i assume you using cold water because of the air pump instead of filter
dude_xyx
I have been keeping fish since I was 10 years old. I even had Discus fish who probably is the king of aquarium fish. Very beautiful and hard to keep. Also very expensive. Then I stopped keeping them. It's lots of time since u need to do small water changes everyday to keep them active and healthy.

Now I have fews types of fish like Golden Severum mainly. Beautiful and also less troublsum unlike Discus fish. I have a tank with 19 pairs of these guys (one pair died).
skaprit
In answer to original question.
No, I do not have a fish tank. I have a personal belief that I do not want to keep fish captive.
I am a scuba diver and love to see marine life in their natural habitat.
I have friends who have fish, and the one that keeps coming up often is the Biorb. Easy to maintain and very nice looking too.
mshafiq
i do not have fish tank i am trying to have it.my friend have and it look so nice.
dude_xyx
mshafiq wrote:
i do not have fish tank i am trying to have it.my friend have and it look so nice.

Make sure to read and do research before buying a tank setup. Specially about the types of fish you like to keep. It's the best way to have a happy tank which makes you happy too.
playfungames
I never had a fish tank/fish or any types of pets. I once had this plant that was planted in a small fish tank like glass container and that is the closest I came to owning any living things.
rjraaz
aeesgi wrote:
fishtank is not environmental friendly

Could you please explain it how and why?
Peterssidan
I once had a terrarium with a hermit crab but when it died I made it into an aquarium. Not sure exactly what species they were but some tetras, bluish at the upper front and red at the tail, some orange fishes that was slightly bigger than the tetras, one bala shark, one (or maybe more) algae eater and a lot of small snails that was impossible to get rid of. All fishes are dead and the tank has been in the attic for many years now.
LxGoodies
skaprit wrote:
In answer to original question.
No, I do not have a fish tank. I have a personal belief that I do not want to keep fish captive.

HMMM I agree
dude_xyx
Well its nothing different than having any other animal. The only animal who naturally like to stay with humans is dogs. All other animals don't like it even cats.

Just like other for other domestic or pet animals even for fish you have to provide right care. Maybe bit more. Since they are totally relay on you.
nickfyoung
When i get settled in the Philippines I am looking forward to having a fish tank. Not the ones we are talking about here but a couple of large fiberglass ones for fattening fish. I would like one for fish and one for crabs.
As the fish soil the water a pump circulates it through a large fiberglass tray filled with stones for growing vegetables hydroponically. When the water passes through and back to the fish tank it is relatively clean again.
That way we get to grow all our vegetable needs and our seafood needs together.
johans
lovescience wrote:
Do you have a fish tank?

How big is your fish tank?

How did you choose the fish tank?

What is fish tank? Is this the same with aquarium?
darthrevan
Not currently. I usually just get a 10Gal and put guppies in it or maybe even a turtle. It has been quite some time since I have a use for a tank.
Insanity
I had a fish tank, but then all my fish died because I didn't take care of them well enough Sad

It was a sad day when all our fish died in our tank.
driftingfe3s
I have a 10 gallon tank. I had 3 pea puffers, a few neon tetras, and a few zebra danos. I left them the care of my brother while I was on vacation and they didn't do to well. Now I have a betta in there along with a pleco and one surviving neon tetra. I think i'm going to get some other kind of tetras soon because it looks boring with so little fish in there.
dude_xyx
Insanity wrote:
I had a fish tank, but then all my fish died because I didn't take care of them well enough Sad
It was a sad day when all our fish died in our tank.

Yeah. You have to take care of them if you start keeping fish tank. I have a friend who started keeping fish tank who added way too many fish to his tank when I was telling him not to. Now half of those poor fish are dead.

When you dont have time to take care of them keep only few fish in a tank. Also pick only fish which can survive in rough conditions. Shouldn't buy fish just coz they are beautiful. have to make sure you can keep them without getting fish killed.
LxGoodies
dude_xyx wrote:
Yeah. You have to take care of them if you start keeping fish tank

You bet.. and no compromise !

dude_xyx wrote:
When you dont have time to take care of them keep only few fish in a tank. Also pick only fish which can survive in rough conditions. Shouldn't buy fish just coz they are beautiful. have to make sure you can keep them without getting fish killed.

Naaa.. if you don't have time, the stronger ones will die too. Or the fish start eating each other Crying or Very sad

When you don't have time to care for animals you keep, don't keep them.

Animals, especially fish, cannot escape in any way. You keep them confined, so you are responsable and you should take care of them. If you don't.. better find yourself another hobby.

Lx
dude_xyx
Well keeping a pet is not something like you setup and forget. You have check things up. But unlike in old time now technology assist you to do all these tasks.

There are automatic fish feeders which can feed fish for months. A good filter would keep everything clean for months too. But important thing is having compatible fish and the tank size. Bigger the tank longer fish will survive. Also plant eating fish survive longer than meat eating aggressive fish.
LxGoodies
There are some usefull tips in Wiki about tank size (bigger=better) and maintaining the "Nitrogen-cycle" in fish tanks,

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fishkeeping#Nitrogen_cycle

Smile Lx
dude_xyx
Everyone do like big spaces. Not just us humans but also animals. birds and fish. Specially if you are going to keep territorial fish like cichild family fish. This is why its better research fish about the fish you gonna keep rather than pick bunch of most beautiful fish you can find in pet shop.

Pet shop owners should assist but not everyone do that. I have seen some even suggesting to put Discus fish in community tanks.
BLIZZARD11145
I have a fish tank and its not as big as some people who go overboard, its just a fish tank why dont u buy something else to fix up ur house and make it nice like a stuffed mosse head or something taxadermed, well in my house i have about 4 fish and i cant really remember what there called but what ever!
LxGoodies
BLIZZARD wrote:
i cant really remember what there called but what ever

How do you know what's the proper food and treatment if you don't know what fish you have Rolling Eyes

dude_xyz wrote:
This is why its better research fish about the fish you gonna keep rather than pick bunch of most beautiful fish you can find in pet shop.

Idea yes ! and even better - if you only keep the fish for the nice colors don't keep them in a tank, better put a nice photo or poster on your wall

Lx
dude_xyx
Yep also now there are nice screen savers of fish tanks. Years ago there was a screen saver which had a fish you can feed and everything. if you don't feed it couple of days then it dies. Don't remember the name of this program but lots of people in my office had it.
LxGoodies
google tamagotchi screen saver Laughing

http://screensaver.software.informer.com/download-screensaver-fish-feed-die-tamagotchi/

Lx
dude_xyx
Good article. More active the fish are bigger the tank should be. Also bigger fish need more space. Smaller the tank you need better air /water cycle system.

Also frequent water changers keeps fish healthy, active and happy. Specially for Cichlids like Discus fish. They need at least 1/4 water change everyday to keep them healthy and bright. Also other Cichlid types like Golden Severum or Oscar prefer clear dust free water too.
mustatab
yes we do have fish tank and its so difficult to maintain them. We had siamese fighting fish and we put it in the tank with other fish.. Male was so furious and he attacked almost everyone. Killed two then he calmed down. Only was furious when he saw female.
Now the tank is quiet as beta fish died because of injuries. Other fish are enjoying the tank. But sometimes i think they need to go to lake.
dude_xyx
It's not good putting these Aquarium fish into natural water source. It's bad for local fish. Better return them to a pet shop. usually they take fish if you give them for free. lol

Betta which doesn't like to be with their own species. Male or female. Also they become aggressive at smaller fish if the tank is smaller. specially they can't be kept with Guppy and sometimes even other fish like Swordtails, Platy or molly.
Ankhanu
dude_xyx wrote:
It's not good putting these Aquarium fish into natural water source. It's bad for local fish. Better return them to a pet shop. usually they take fish if you give them for free. lol

Oh, yeah, never release captive fish in the wild. At best, the fish will just die, at worst, well, they can completely destroy an ecosystem.

dude_xyx wrote:
Betta which doesn't like to be with their own species. Male or female. Also they become aggressive at smaller fish if the tank is smaller. specially they can't be kept with Guppy and sometimes even other fish like Swordtails, Platy or molly.

Not quite true.
Only males are aggresive, and only towards other male bettas (though, yeah, fancy guppies and similar are occasionally mistaken for other male bettas). Females can be kept in groups, and a male can be kept in a group of females... for the most part, bettas are the fish being bullied in a tank, rather than the other way around. Aside from male/male interactions, they're generally quite docile and slow compared to most other species.
dude_xyx
Ankhanu wrote:

dude_xyx wrote:

Not quite true.
Only males are aggresive, and only towards other male bettas (though, yeah, fancy guppies and similar are occasionally mistaken for other male bettas). Females can be kept in groups, and a male can be kept in a group of females... for the most part, bettas are the fish being bullied in a tank, rather than the other way around. Aside from male/male interactions, they're generally quite docile and slow compared to most other species.

Not really put 2 Betta females and see if they don't fight each other or one wouldn't bully other to death. If the tank is bigger and there is a group of them then they setup a pecking order so aggression won't be focused on one fish. Even makes you can keep them in one tank as a big group. There will be fights always but rarely they fight to death if u keep then as a school. and Betta fish won't be bullies by livebearers or types like Tetra. But shouldn't be kept with big Guramie types and also Cichild types. They may stand their ground for another male but no match for solidly built fish like chichilds.
Ankhanu
I've kept multiple bettas together several times, groups of females, groups of females and a male and a single male and female... my info is good. You may also notice that many fish stores keep all their female bettas in the same tank for sale... beat up fish don't sell. I've kept them in groups in tanks between 38-135L (10-35gal.).

But, yes, only keep them with peaceful community fish, they're kinda weak and poor competitors. Moderate aggressive to aggressive fish will kill or injure bettas, no question.
dude_xyx
Well I used to breed Betta fish for earn bit of pocket money in school days. Now I remember something since you mentioned those Betta fish in pet shops. When you let fly grow together they stay less aggressive to each other most of the time but only females. Even from same fry full grown males don't like to have males around.

Also like I said when bigger the school aggression spread out So you don't get seriously beat up fish. That's why they keep females in same tank. Also Betta females have a less since most of the time people only buy Betta males.
mshafiq
I do not have fish tank right now but in near future i will have because my kids are growing and they like small animal like fish,parrots,sparrow
Ankhanu
mshafiq wrote:
I do not have fish tank right now but in near future i will have because my kids are growing and they like small animal like fish,parrots,sparrow

Make sure you do your research so your fish are as healthy as possible. Watch the kids and feeding; kids LOVE to overfeed fish Razz
dude_xyx
Yeah. Sometimes younger kids too like my niece took pity on gold fish and drop a big chunk of bread into a tank.
jajarvin
Yes.
I have two fish tanks
My problem is : I have no fish.
zacky
LxGoodies wrote:
There are some usefull tips in Wiki about tank size (bigger=better) and maintaining the "Nitrogen-cycle" in fish tanks,

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Fishkeeping#Nitrogen_cycle

Smile Lx

Thanks for the wiki..
dude_xyx
Bigger tanks are always better no matter the fish type. I would go for the biggest tank I can afford and also which can fit into space available in my house.
mshafiq
My kids like to have Fish tank. They loves fishes.
silvermesh
old thread, but its already been dragged up so ill respond.

Laughing

I have a 55 gallon community freshwater tank and an empty 30 gallon I am working on getting pieces to turn into a full reef system. I've always loved aquariums since my dad had one when I was a kid. My 55 gallon was his and I resurrected it from storage in my parents' basement.
PauletteO
a tank with 20 golden fishes
zarawatsonn
I already have a fish tank of very large size, and in that i have more than 50 fishes.
It's very complex task to maintain it!!!