FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do you pronounce "frihost"?

likeabreeze
I bet none of you have ever pronounced the word "frihost", because "frihost" is only used at Frihost, and we just type it out.
seriously, if anyone ask you what webhosting are you using, how will you pronounce it?
well, I pronounce>>
[ˈfraɪhəust]
inuyasha
Free Host Very Happy
I just feel Frihost seems to be derived from Free Host. It's free~ Wink
playfungames
I am not sure what the actual pronunciation is. I am also unable to pronounce ˈfraɪhəust. May be there is an audio file waiting to be created for this pronunciation.

I pronounce it as "FreeHost" with a short and quick free
Peterssidan
I pronounce fri in frihost as the Swedish word fri is pronounced. Click here to listen!
In an English sentence I would say it more like free host.
Ankhanu
inuyasha wrote:
Free Host Very Happy

Ditto; seemed the logical choice.
microkosm
Logic fails me sometimes... I pronounced it as "fry host." But "free host" makes sense. These things are not always intuitive Wink
Ankhanu
microkosm wrote:
Logic fails me sometimes... I pronounced it as "fry host." But "free host" makes sense. These things are not always intuitive Wink

My 10 year old daughter also says fry host.
cybersa
I pronounce like "free host"
deanhills
Free host for me too ...
microkosm
Quote:
My 10 year old daughter also says fry host.

I like to tap into my inner child for certain things in life Smile
standready
I have been pronouncing 'fry host' but I like 'free host'.
watersoul
I've always been Fry Host as well, the only other thought I ever had was Fri as in Fridge and I wasn't drawn to that!
Good topic, I've never heard the official brand pronunciation, maybe Bondings will share it here.
Marcuzzo
frihost is just a phonetic translation of freehost
in dutch the I sounds like the english E.
same goes for E which would be pronounced as the english A Razz

or... like the ii in skiiing ( to mess you all up in dutch skiing becomes Skiën Razz )
inoshi
microkosm wrote:

Same pronunciation here, dialects?
D'Artagnan
inuyasha wrote:
Free Host Very Happy

i always pronounce like this since i'm brazilian Razz
spinout
we would pronounce it freehojst... Hm, hehe a bit funny when you looka at it!
Bondings
I pronounce it as "freehost" for the same reason as Marcuzzo and others mentioned.; in a lot of languages the "i" is pronounced as "ee", including Dutch.

Of course when I chose the name Frihost, I was aware that a lot of people would pronounce it as "fryhost".
taytay
i feel dumb. all these years I've referred to it as "Fry-Host" lol. Freehost makes a lot more sense!

sry... i r dum Rolling Eyes
darthrevan
I would say it like Friday or fry host. Though like others have said free host does make sense.
rx9876
I used to pronounce frihost as "fry host" just like how we said "friday".
if we input this word in to google translate (English), and listen how it's pronounced.
http://translate.google.com/#en/en/frihost
It seems google translate pronounce the word as "fri host" which is the same with bonding.
It's very interesting how google translate determine the phonics.
inuyasha
rx9876 wrote:
It's very interesting how google translate determine the phonics.

Shocked An interesting discovery~ I thought Google Language Tools had a huge audio library for each syllable in every language and it could not pronounce any composed words~
Back to your question, I suppose the context or its sibling syllables may be taken into consideration.
likeabreeze
rx9876 wrote:

It seems google translate pronounce the word as "fri host" which is the same with bonding.

Surprised that google pronounces it as "freehost"Shocked
rx9876 wrote:

http://translate.google.com.tw/#en/en/frihost

By the way, are you from Taiwan?(the url ends with .tw)
rx9876
@likeabreeze
oops, I forgot to hide it.
TomS
I remember the same discussions about "frih$" (free dollars, fry dollars, free coins etc...)
While reading, you actually "pronounce" the word. Not in the true sense of the word, because you don't use your mouth, but everything you read has a sound in your mind. So even if you never pronounced the word, you have an idea of how it would sound if you actually pronounced it. And I have, because I talked to a few friends about it Wink
So, yeah. It's "free host" for me as well^^

Oo Google says "fritz hest" for me
chasbeen
I'm not the best poster but I know the best Free Hoster Smile
rx9876
TomS wrote:

Oo Google says "fritz hest" for me

It depends on the language option.
Google will choose "Danish" as the default option for "frihost",
you could choose other languages.
inuyasha
rx9876 wrote:
@likeabreeze
oops, I forgot to hide it.

Why do you want to hide it? Wink
TomS
English to english doesn't work. So I chose german -> english. But fritzhest doesn't resemble the german or english pronunciation. When I chose english -> german it correctly (more or less) pronuounces it "freeost" (omitting the h)
rx9876
@inuyasha
It depends.
I met some people who act impolite to other races or nations before,
so I think the best way is not to draw their attention.
deanhills
TomS wrote:
English to english doesn't work. So I chose german -> english. But fritzhest doesn't resemble the german or english pronunciation. When I chose english -> german it correctly (more or less) pronuounces it "freeost" (omitting the h)
My pronunciation (whether right or wrong - although it would seem there is no right or wrong really) has a lot of emphasis on the "h" as in host. For me the important part of the word is Host first, and then Free as in Free Host. Instead of a unique name Frihost.
Vanilla
Bondings wrote:
I pronounce it as "freehost" for the same reason as Marcuzzo and others mentioned.; in a lot of languages the "i" is pronounced as "ee", including Dutch.

In Portuguese we pronounce the "ee" as "i" too. But I think that with my accent it would sound like FRI-host, being the first syllable the tonic one. Also I think I have a problem pronouncing the "r". Sounds like this.
sudipbanerjee
I don't know what actual pronunciation will be but I am habituated to call it 'Fri' and 'host'
milkshake01
I don't like the pronunciation "free host". But I'll use the official pronunciation from now onwards.
grofet
indonesian people will pronounce it "free host"
wee spell i as ee, not as ay
Ghost Rider103
I've always pronounced it "fry-host" but I think there was a thread like this a while back that clarified it was actually pronounced "free host". I personally like "fry-host" better and it's quite hard for me to switch.

Either way, I don't hardly ever have to pronounce it anyways.