FRIHOST ē FORUMS ē SEARCH ē FAQ ē TOS ē BLOGS ē COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

alternative to dreamweaver?

zaxacongrejo
does anyone know good html coding softwares for free?
im looking to an alternative to adobe dreamweaver i found notepad++
at http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ but, theres always a but right?
it is some years beind of what i was expecting before install
can some one recomend me something better?
badai
dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG editor. duh....
darthrevan
I am unsure if there is a Windows version bit look for NVU it is pretty good. On windows I also liked html kit.
Peterssidan
badai wrote:
dreamweaver is a WYSIWYG editor. duh....
You don't have to use it as a WYSIWYG. I have been using dreamweaver as a normal code editor because it had good syntax highlighting and autocomplete feature.

@zaxacongrejo
Are you looking for a WYSIWYG or just a simple text editor? I have been using Quanta Plus but nowadays I'm less picky and don't mind using something as simple as Geany or gedit.
likeabreeze
How about FrontPage, which, however, seems not to be better than Dreamweaver.
darthrevan
likeabreeze wrote:
How about FrontPage, which, however, seems not to be better than Dreamweaver.

I don't recommend frontpage especially if you use it as a wysiwyg because it would generate bad code and not appear as it should.
zaxacongrejo
Geany looks good what about usability ho uses Geany what are your opinions

"You don't have to use it as a WYSIWYG. I have been using dreamweaver as a normal code editor because it had good syntax highlighting and autocomplete feature"

like me ive used dreamweaver for almost any language
but now im looking for something more lighter
with the same kind of yntax highlighting and autocomplete feature
Geany seams to be a good choice i will test it to see how it works thanks
zaxacongrejo
hi i didnt liked Geany is there any other you know?
milkshake01
Joomla is an alternative to DreamWeaver. It is also open-source.
zaxacongrejo
oh thanks you are so right why i didnt remember before
thanks
dude_xyx
Haven't found anything even come close to that. Even it's older versions are better than any free alternatives out there. Hoping there will be a free software which will match or better in future. Dreamweaver is getting insanely expensive.
zaxacongrejo
And you are right hi agree,but why not ?why isnít out there something an open project from someone is it that difficult? We have gimp that i donít use and blender that i do ,also why not an alternative to Dreamweaver does anyone know?
Peterssidan
zaxacongrejo wrote:
And you are right hi agree,but why not ?why isnít out there something an open project from someone is it that difficult? We have gimp that i donít use and blender that i do ,also why not an alternative to Dreamweaver does anyone know?

Probably because the people that knows how to do it doesn't think it is needed and the people that needs it don't know how to do it.
zaxacongrejo
But there so many non-sense projects even in frihost I read about an OS once insane
But for this one there are lot of potential users it is strange no one cares like they did with gimp blender and so many others
rx9876
There are some similar free website IDE tools.

Aptana Studio

Komodo Edit

NetBeans

Eclipse

You could go to their websites and take a look about their features.
zaxacongrejo
Quote:
There are some similar free website IDE tools.

Aptana Studio

Komodo Edit

NetBeans

Eclipse

You could go to their websites and take a look about their features.

Hey appreciated that, Iím doing it right now, thanks Very Happy
codersfriend
In open source, Kompozer is the best free web editor. Although they don't seem to be updating now.
You can also try amaya by w3.org .
It is a good website editor
firstroad
front page would be a nice alternative but i don't suggest it because is a discontinued program but after microsoft stopped developing it created two new ones, the one that is going to be what you want is Expression Web. It's simple and free, i am an amateur programmer and it is so useful for me... i tested dreamweaver but is complex... expression web is like frontpage but updated with a lot of more features... its best part is the ftp connection... i test my website online in 2 seconds after i end editing
what i recommend is to test it... you have nothing to lose... notepad is just an editor...use wordpad if you want something like that... last but not least you can connect to your website via ftp with http://net2ftp.com/ and try their own editor... it's like notepad online
hope i helped ya
dude_xyx
Peterssidan wrote:
zaxacongrejo wrote:

Probably because the people that knows how to do it doesn't think it is needed and the people that needs it don't know how to do it.

It's more or less other way around. If you don't know what you are doing then u won't able to use Dreamweaver at all. It's an application for same time by doing some tasks automatically not some magical software where you get a pro level web site when you press a button.

If you don't know how to make a site Dreamweaver not gonna help at all. You won't even understand how it works. This is why Almost professional level designers / developers who can afford it using it. Time is money. This is why Adobe still able to keep poping new versions for crazy prices.
D'Artagnan
drop wysiwyg, the results of handcrafted code is much better, and the browser is the only visual help you need.... for html marking and js coding the best is sublime text with zen coding, but will not provide visual help
firstroad
D'Artagnan wrote:
drop wysiwyg, the results of handcrafted code is much better, and the browser is the only visual help you need.... for html marking and js coding the best is sublime text with zen coding, but will not provide visual help

that's true
i use expression web (i am not that professional for dreamweaver) and i have split my screen to html and wysiwyg and even if i write the code myself, it is very useful to preview some style... but it's a just a crap if you want to use it as a browser alternative
codegeek
I have found Aptana Studio to be quite good. I would definitely recommend it.