FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google services are blocked yesterday everning

linux1993
Serval days ago, I can't accees to Facebook service through Google App Engine whose servers are located in USA. You should know that bofore the 18th National People's Congress, I can visit Facebook, Google plus and twitter. Maybe our country want to limit expressions on politics at this very important time. But it's very uncomfotable with this kind of rule. I hope our country will open GAE service and give us freedom
inuyasha
You didn't metion the country but... it's definitely China. No doubt.

It's always like this. I think the 17th Congress affected the most. Many bulletin Boards were closed down simply due to unregistration.
By the way, Gmail is also unavailable in China now. To be positive, I suppose all these Google services will be accessible sooner or later.
RosenCruz
I do not know why China and North Korea relies on censorship. Just wrong Crying or Very sad
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
You didn't metion the country but... it's definitely China. No doubt.

It's always like this. I think the 17th Congress affected the most. Many bulletin Boards were closed down simply due to unregistration.
By the way, Gmail is also unavailable in China now. To be positive, I suppose all these Google services will be accessible sooner or later.
Do you know whether people in China can get proxy accounts, so they can still get Google services, or are proxy accounts not allowed?
RosenCruz
I believe their Great Firewall still has holes and weak spots. But why is this censorship? On Google services? I can never know.
deanhills
I can't help but feel that freedom of censorship for Google is negotiable depending on a set of special circumstances, like this scenario:
Quote:
Google has been criticized for its censorship of certain sites in specific countries and regions. Until March 2010, Google adhered to the Internet censorship policies of China,[125] enforced by filters colloquially known as "The Great Firewall of China". Google.cn search results were filtered to remove some results concerning the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, sites supporting the independence movements of Tibet and Taiwan, the Falun Gong movement, and other information perceived to be harmful to the People's Republic of China (PRC). Google claimed that some censorship is necessary in order to keep the Chinese government from blocking Google entirely, as occurred in 2002.[126] The company claims it did not plan to give the government information about users who search for blocked content, and will inform users that content has been restricted if they attempt to search for it.[127] As of 2009, Google was the only major China-based search engine to explicitly inform the user when search results are blocked or hidden.

Some Chinese Internet users were critical of Google for assisting the Chinese government in repressing its own citizens, particularly those dissenting against the government and advocating for human rights.[128] Furthermore, Google had been denounced and called hypocritical by Free Media Movement for agreeing to China's demands while simultaneously fighting the United States government's requests for similar information.[129] Google China had also been condemned by Reporters Without Borders,[129] Human Rights Watch[130] and Amnesty International.[131]

For me it's clear Google is just protecting its own interests by staying out of China. As long as Google has a presence there, it is making itself vulnerable for hacking attacks, as had happened in 2010 - which in its own right was like China holding a gun to Google's head, either get out or we'll go on a full frontal attack on Google with all of the resources at China's disposal:
Quote:
In 2010, according to a leaked diplomatic cable from the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, there were reports that the Chinese Politburo directed the intrusion of Google's computer systems in a worldwide coordinated campaign of computer sabotage and the attempt to access information about Chinese dissidents, carried out by "government operatives, public security experts and Internet outlaws recruited by the Chinese government."[135] The report suggested that it was part of an ongoing campaign in which attackers have "broken into American government computers and those of Western allies, the Dalai Lama and American businesses since 2002."[135]

In response to the attack, Google announced that “we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all.”[136][137] On March 22, 2010, after talks with Chinese authorities failed to reach an agreement, the company redirected its censor-complying Google China service to its Google Hong Kong service, which is outside the jurisdiction of Chinese censorship laws. From the business perspective, many recognize that the move was likely to affect Google's profits: "Google is going to pay a heavy price for its move, which is why it deserves praise for refusing to censor its service in China."[138] However, at least as of March 23, 2010, "The Great Firewall" continues to censor search results from the Hong Kong portal, www.google.com.hk (as it does with the US portal, www.google.com) for controversial terms such as "Falun gong" and "the June 4 incident" (Tiananmen Square incident).[139][140][141]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_by_Google#Censorship
darthrevan
You could try and use a proxy from the USA to try and get around it though it may not work.
likeabreeze
darthrevan wrote:
You could try and use a proxy from the USA to try and get around it though it may not work.

Not that easy, man.
For Chinese people, this is a long-lasting war against the Great Firewall.
This is why they call US a country of freedom, even though US isn't that of freedom.
rx9876
The Great Firewall is so great that there is a paper study about it in #usenix #foci12.

Following is the abstract.

Internet censorship in China is not just limited to the web: the Great Firewall of China prevents thousands of potential Tor users from accessing the network. In this paper, we investigate how the blocking mechanism is implemented, we conjecture how China’s Tor blocking infrastructure is designed and we propose circumvention techniques. Our work bolsters the understanding of China’s censorship capabilities and thus paves the way towards more effective circumvention techniques.

Following is the paper index page.
https://www.usenix.org/conference/foci12/how-great-firewall-china-blocking-tor
darthrevan
likeabreeze wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

Not that easy, man.
For Chinese people, this is a long-lasting war against the Great Firewall.
This is why they call US a country of freedom, even though US isn't that of freedom.

I can imagine, though just thought I would mention it. Hmm. Maybe VPN?
linux1993
Because many softwares that let us can have access to websites blocked by the great wall like Facebook,Twitter ,etc run based Google App Engine. GAE's servers in USA can handle request of visiting Facebook from China. So our government will try to block google services which are free.
linux1993
In general, VPN works. But when it comes to very important time, the government will block all the way to visit blocked services. Recently these days are lasting. I have had no access to Facebook for half a month. I really don't know how long it will last?
inuyasha
deanhills wrote:
Do you know whether people in China can get proxy accounts, so they can still get Google services, or are proxy accounts not allowed?

I'm not sure what others do with it but I installed a proxy app(GoAgent) on Google Application Engine and used it as a proxy server, via which I could log in Twitter~ It was the most stable, I think.
Just do not know where I can get proxy accounts~ And what's worse, those proxy servers may still be in the blacklist of the Great Firewall.
Unfortunately GAE is also blocked recently. Crying or Very sad
Josso
The Great Firewall of China strikes again!

There is a way to get around the restrictions apparently (I have never extensively researched this subject, as selfishly, it doesn't effect me) however I did come across some extensive documentation into how to get around it on a .onion site about a year ago. So where there's a will there's a way apparently. China has some of the best hackers in the world I'm sure there will always be an underground movement against censorship no matter where you are in the world.
deanhills
Josso wrote:
China has some of the best hackers in the world I'm sure there will always be an underground movement against censorship no matter where you are in the world.
Right, but then some of those hackers are working for the Chinese Government as well. Hence why Google decided .... "do NOT go in there .... wow!"
playfungames
Google has never been down for me. It is like the site to test whether my internet is working or not. If google does not open then my conclusion would be that my internet is not working.
rx9876
I think there might be some firewall breaking methods / servers are provided by the government to lure those people who want to be free on the internet.

When the computer is using a proxy like service, everything go out from the computer is transparent to the proxy, even SSL (HTTPS, SFTP ...) is not directly communicating with the actual destination server, but the proxy instead.