FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is this the reason why Romney lost?

jmraker
The campaign designed a new state of the art mobile website (as a replacement of the older way of doing it) to help the campaign volunteers get the people who haven't voted to the polling places.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/project-orca-mitt-romney_n_2052861.html

But it turned out to be a disaster as the volunteers were having problems with it.
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/334783.php
Ankhanu
I'm gonna go ahead and say a definative NO.
Romney lost because he had little going for him. He wasn't a candidate that even the Conservatives were excited about... he was just a candidate that might have done an ok job had he won... maybe. Nobody really liked him, he was just an alternative to an opposition that they didn't like either. Romney's biggest selling point was "He's not Obama." I'm not the other guy, as a campaign platform generally doesn't work.
jmraker
I'm asking because Romney lost the popular vote by about 3 million votes, he got more than 0 votes Ankhan. In Florida and Ohio he came really close and could have won with those states.

If ORCA worked or wasn't used it could have gotten him those electoral votes and he would have over 270 electoral votes. The democrats were definitely calling their voters to the polls, but could the republicans have called enough republicans to get them to the polls in some of the states. In Ohio it would have had to be over 103,481 people.

The day before the election I watched a documentary on PBS about the election and it showed the Obama 2008 volunteers during election day calling those who haven't voted, getting people to drive them to the polls, etc.

It pretty much comes down to how effective their calling system (which was damaged) normally works on election day, which I have no idea.

I guess it's also possible the thing was working and the blog post reporting it's failure was overly dramatic.
darthrevan
Ankhanu wrote:
I'm gonna go ahead and say a definative NO.
Romney lost because he had little going for him. He wasn't a candidate that even the Conservatives were excited about... he was just a candidate that might have done an ok job had he won... maybe. Nobody really liked him, he was just an alternative to an opposition that they didn't like either. Romney's biggest selling point was "He's not Obama." I'm not the other guy, as a campaign platform generally doesn't work.

I agree, most people I have heard around me say there wasn't really a choice, maybe it was designed by Obama Wink
Ankhanu
Just imagine if the Republicans had a candidate that had good ideas that made them interested in having that candidate as president... not just someone to vote for that would be a vote against Obama, but someone to vote for where their vote was FOR that person. The race wouldn't have been close, and you people might have a Republican president this round.
darthrevan
Yup. Though I didn't vote for either one, since both were a bad choice anyway. I voted for a Libertarian since they put the emphasis on individual freedom.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Just imagine if the Republicans had a candidate that had good ideas that made them interested in having that candidate as president... not just someone to vote for that would be a vote against Obama, but someone to vote for where their vote was FOR that person. The race wouldn't have been close, and you people might have a Republican president this round.
Agreed. I wonder whether availability of election funding was what got Romney nominated. It's really a pity they could not get Ron Paul as that would have made a definite difference. I wonder whether it was lack of funding that got him to withdraw. Candidates must be very vulnerable for bankruptcy in a race like that.
Iceaxe0410
I think as with many things there were multiple reason why Romney lost:

1. He didn't have particularly strong defined values. He has flip flopped his way through the primaries and presidential elections. I'm sure he has defined values, but no one will really knows what they are because he has changed his position so many times. It makes him look like he is only saying things without meaning it. This leads many to believe he doesn't have strong leadership qualities to be the president.

2. The Republican party seemed to be split in which many left to vote third party like Libertarian. Particuarly because of Ron Paul who had quite a large number of followers that would have otherwise voted for him if he got the bid for the Republican candidate. Others were not interested in voting at all because they didn't like either candidate, so they just simply did not show up at the polls.

3. Hurricane Sandy. Despite what many may say, in times of emergencies, people may favor keeping the current leader in position. The reasoning behind it is that if he is replaced, things will get worse and the recovery efforts will be delayed. Another reason is the Hurricane was a good distraction from the real concerns like the economy so it almost gave President Obama a free pass.

4. Religion. Although Romney has Christian values, there are many that do not favor the Mormon faith. I'm personally not too religious myself, but for those that have a strong belief in their religion, mormonism can be more of a liability because of it's past association with polygamy and other unusual practices like the fancy underwear.

5. The 1% debate which Romney is placed in. Many people feel he's out of touch with the common person because he's in the 1%. The general feeling is that he won't do anything that's not in the best interests of the 99% and will instead favor corporate America.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are the main ones I can think of at the moment.
bluepig83
One of the reasons that pundits have spoken about is due to what they call the "ground game." Basically, the turning out the vote effort. Apparently, the president had very solid local campaign offices that were effectively organized and efficiently run. The local staff had actual connections with the voters, and we all know that face to face is a lot more effective than robo-calls and door-hangers which are very non-personal.

Getting voters to the early vote also made a difference. Since the lines at polling places were extremely long on election day (the line at my polling station was probably at least 2 hours long), that could discourage potential voters.
Iceaxe0410
Yeah, that's another good point. President Obama had four years to plan for re-election while Romney was focused on the primaries to get the Republican bid. It's no surprise that Obama would have an extensive system in place to get voters out. Romney, had far less time to work on that.
Ankhanu
I dunno... campaign tricks aside (as let's not forget that in those 4 years Obama MAY have been preoccupied with the job of being president, and a president facing the difficulty that the republicans opposed him on principle, rather than on argument, so probably didn't spend the whole time planning a re-election campaign), I would still say Romney's shortcomings weren't in the campaigning itself...

He had no real platform, was an obvious panderer, and a liar (even the other Republicans called him out on being a liar, making things up prior to him winning the primaries)... It didn't help that he focused on "moral" issues, and allied himself with some real turdsandwiches who made some pretty incredible (and ignorant) statements concerning things like rape, women's rights, sexual equality, etc. that by extension reflected quite poorly on Romney as well. The focus on values rather than policy, while it can be a rallying point, seems to be a death knell.
watersoul
Ankhanu wrote:
... It didn't help that he focused on "moral" issues, and allied himself with some real turdsandwiches who made some pretty incredible (and ignorant) statements concerning things like rape, women's rights, sexual equality, etc. that by extension reflected quite poorly on Romney as well.

I'd agree with that. From a UK media perspective the guy was portrayed as a religious fanatic who hated gay rights, and was against abortion even for rape victims.
I haven't looked in depth as to how true or not that was but based on the soundbites alone I certainly wouldn't have voted for him.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Agreed. I wonder whether availability of election funding was what got Romney nominated. It's really a pity they could not get Ron Paul as that would have made a definite difference. I wonder whether it was lack of funding that got him to withdraw. Candidates must be very vulnerable for bankruptcy in a race like that.

Majority of people that I have heard has issues with his foreign policy which is mind your own business. I started poking Ron Paul because that os what I think we should do; mind our own business and take care of our own
setfirework
Romney lost for a myriad of reasons ,he is a moderate trying to fake being a conservative, his scorched earth primary campaign alienated many voters who supported other candidates , his mormon cult was not a help with evangelicals and last but not least his timidity over Bengahzi in the final debate most likely cost him any chance at a win . That was too bad He was by far a better and more competent man than Obama
deanhills
setfirework wrote:
That was too bad He was by far a better and more competent man than Obama
I'm almost certain that Obama would still have won if the Republican nominee was not Romney. Maybe people voted for the secure and the familiar as well. If it had been Ron Paul however, I think he might have won.
chrystal026
Romney Lost,cause this Society has no Morals!!!!!!!
Ankhanu
Brilliant deduction there, I suppose Razz
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Brilliant deduction there, I suppose Razz
Agreed! Sort of an irony there. Seeing Romney made such a great thing about morals during his campaign. One of the major bloomers he made.
ocalhoun
chrystal026 wrote:
Romney Lost,cause this Society has no Morals!!!!!!!

...Not even worthy of a facepalm.

...but it does display nicely why all this talk of policies and such is worthless: your average voter votes based on things like this statement.

...I really do think people should be required to show some knowledge about politics (and perhaps also the world in general) before being allowed to control politics.
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
...I really do think people should be required to show some knowledge about politics (and perhaps also the world in general) before being allowed to control politics.

I can't really disagree in principle. There are only two wasted votes: 1) the vote uncast, and 2) the vote uninformed. Both are pretty common, unfortunately. The reality of implementing some sort of system by which prospective voters might be assessed for worthiness, however, is monstrous.

I mean... look at the uproar that proposition that voters properly identify themselves caused Razz
handfleisch
No, that was not the reason Romney lost. There is no single reason. Here's a few big ones:
    Americans basically support the president and realize he's doing an okay job. It's unusual to unseat a sitting president.
    Obama is popular due to his big successes like getting Bin Laden, in the Affordable Care Act, and saving Detroit.
    The secret recording in which Romney insulted 47% of Americans was the beginning of the end.
    Compared to Romney, Obama looked very consistent and honest in his politics.
    Americans don't support the GOP ideas presented by Romney.
    Americans are sick of tax breaks for the rich while cutting basic, necessary government services.
    Many Christian Republicans stayed home rather than vote for a Mormon.
    Romney showed very poor character in his changing political positions and most American's couldn't identify with him.
    Military families who know dead and maimed Iraqi war vets don't want another GOP war.
    Romney looked incompetent in foreign policy, Obama relatively strong.
    The GOP backfired when they used fake opinions polls to show they were ahead, which scared Obama supporters into action and made many GOP voters stay home in false confidence. They made BS polls and then believed their own BS.
    In more GOP suicide, the GOP destroyed Romney during the primaries: the same backers who gave millions to Romney in his campaign gave millions to Gingrich to attack Romney, and Gingrich made 30-minute attack ad (vulture capitalism) which Romney never recovered from.
    The GOP backfired with the fake scandal of the Libya attack; Americans don't change presidents during a crisis, and yet the GOP/FOX foolishly hyped the crisis.
    Young America supports gay rights, marriage equality.
    Plenty of fiscally conservative voters know that the GOP is irresponsible.
    The power of Rush Limbaugh and FOX has declined in the last year.
    There was a lot of division among extreme conservatives who slammed Romney before he was nominated and still didn't like him very much after (Mark Levin, Limbaugh, etc.)
    The GOP machine is in increasing disarray since the Iraq War, the Great Recession and all the other disasters of the Bush administration. Also, America remembers those things.
    The Democrats ran a shrewd campaign like a chess master; the GOP ran an emotional campaign but had no real issues (except the unemployment rate, and Americans don't trust them on the economy).
    The GOP thinks insulting people (Hispanics, African Americans, gays, women) is a good way to get them to vote for you. (After losing, Romney repeated his insult about Americans voting for Obama because he gave them "gifts".)
    Hurricane Sandy showed that we need the federal government, the opposite of Romney's message.
    The president did such a good job with hurricane relief efforts that even GOP governor Chris Christie applauded him, days before the election.
    America hasn't forgotten about the horrifying prospect of Sarah Palin, and Paul Ryan looked ridiculous and embarrassing in his weightlifting photo session
    The economy is actually improving.
    The GOP convention was an embarrassment (Clint Eastwood and the empty chair).
    The Democratic convention was inspiring.
    The voices of talk radio and FOX became so ugly, strident, racist and divisive that America turned against it.
Dennise
Romney lost because Obama won using bleeding edge campaign methods. It's really that simple. Here's why.

The Obama campaign cleverly (brilliantly actually) exploited changing demographics sweeping the country. His campaign harnessed the skills of loyal youth highly experienced in social network mining to exploit new demographics with cunning electoral focus. Hosting lotteries for dinners with Hollywood movie stars was a clever (if not rather cheap) tactic as well. Spying on private republican meetings didn't hurt either.

When compared with Romney's campaign, Obama's was high-tech cutting edge. Many of BO's campaign leaders will surely have many job offers in the coming years ... some - no doubt - for GOP races.
deanhills
Dennise wrote:
Romney lost because Obama won using bleeding edge campaign methods. It's really that simple. Here's why.

The Obama campaign cleverly (brilliantly actually) exploited changing demographics sweeping the country. His campaign harnessed the skills of loyal youth highly experienced in social network mining to exploit new demographics with cunning electoral focus. Hosting lotteries for dinners with Hollywood movie stars was a clever (if not rather cheap) tactic as well. Spying on private republican meetings didn't hurt either.

When compared with Romney's campaign, Obama's was high-tech cutting edge. Many of BO's campaign leaders will surely have many job offers in the coming years ... some - no doubt - for GOP races.
Thanks for this Dennise. Makes total sense to me. I think that is how Obama managed to win the first election as well, his campaign then was brilliant too.
JoryRFerrell
jmraker wrote:
The campaign designed a new state of the art mobile website (as a replacement of the older way of doing it) to help the campaign volunteers get the people who haven't voted to the polling places.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/01/project-orca-mitt-romney_n_2052861.html

But it turned out to be a disaster as the volunteers were having problems with it.
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/334783.php

No.. Romney lost for the same reason the website failed though: Shitty idea...and an even shittier execution.
Smile Razz