FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Transferring data through wireless routers(wireless network)

speeDemon
I would like to know if it is possible to make a Wireless network using a wireless router, which I use for my Wi-fi Requirements.

Basically, I think that if computers can be connected together using a hub and making a LAN, can't they be 'connected' using a wi-fi router and thus make a network, which will then allow me to transfer data from say, one laptop to another if they both are connected to my router.

The reason I ask is,
1) It seems very practical, and quite frankly very much possible, so I'd like to do so!
2) When I connect to the router, if I can't get connected to the internet, it says "Access:Local only" otherwise it says "Access:Local and Internet"
So I feel/hope local would translate to 'local wireless network' Razz

Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing?
Thanks Smile
manfer
No matter the type of connection you use a network is a network.

Most home wireless routers have both wireless and not wireless (with cable) connections and you can use it to connect any kind of devices: you can connect only devices on their cable ports, you can connect devices to cable ports and some wireless devices, and you can connect only wireless devices if you want. Anything is possible.

One thing is the physical connection (cable or wireless) and other totally different thing is the logical connection, the network.

So, simply, yes you can connect several wireless devices with a wireless router.

(Something that should be said to clarify is what we home users have and we call routers are actually not exactly routers but a complex device that has inside a router -that connects your local network and internet-, a wireless access point -to connect wireless devices-, a switch -to connect cable devices- and most of them a DSL modem -to module/demodule the DSL signal that comes through the telephone line-)
speeDemon
manfer wrote:
No matter the type of connection you use a network is a network.

Most home wireless routers have both wireless and not wireless (with cable) connections and you can use it to connect any kind of devices: you can connect only devices on their cable ports, you can connect devices to cable ports and some wireless devices, and you can connect only wireless devices if you want. Anything is possible.

One thing is the physical connection (cable or wireless) and other totally different thing is the logical connection, the network.

So, simply, yes you can connect several wireless devices with a wireless router.

(Something that should be said to clarify is what we home users have and we call routers are actually not exactly routers but a complex device that has inside a router -that connects your local network and internet-, a wireless access point -to connect wireless devices-, a switch -to connect cable devices- and most of them a DSL modem -to module/demodule the DSL signal that comes through the telephone line-)

Can you explain how I can transfer data from one Laptop to another if I connect them both with a wireless router?
darthrevan
You should be able to connect them though I can't remember the name of it. Though of course the routers would have to support it. I think it is called ad-hoc
william
There's actually a really easy way to share files in Windows. First just be sure that both computers are in the same Workgroup. Then go to Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Advanced Sharing Settings. There, just check off "Turn on sharing" and enable password protection if you wish. Then you can go to any folder, right click it, hover over "Share with", and then select your Workgroup. Then on the other computer, just go to My Computer and it should show up. Let me know if this works, since I'm just telling you this off memory. There are nicer methods, but this is by far the easiest.
TomS
I'm not quite getting the question. If they PCs are in the same WiFi-network you can share files the same way you'd do in a LAN. That is to say either use special programs or Windows' "share directory feature.
speeDemon
Workgroups were a bit of a problem as I'm running Windows 7 on one laptop, and Vista on the other.
But I did see that sharing was somewhat easy, I just connected them both to the same wireless router, then changed some settings, basically turned sharing on. Using this method I can only copy/view what is in the "public" folder on my vista laptop, from the other laptop. So, If I want to copy some files from vista one to 7, first I have to copy them to the public folder, then open that folder from Computer>Network in windows 7 one, and then copy from there.

I was actually expecting a very fast data rate, but the maximum download speed I got on the laptops was ~250 KBps, don't know if this is because of the router I'm using, or this is just the regular speed you'd get.

There was another fun option, "Media Streaming" using which I could open Windows Media Player on one laptop, and then in the library I'd see the name of the other computer, and using that link I could access all the media(i.e. songs, videos, photos) present in the WMP library of the other laptop.

Songs will work just fine I guess, with a 128 kbps bit rate, but larger movies ( >2GB) will probably be a pain to play, as I'm only getting 250 KBps max.
william
Something isn't right, 250 KBps is very slow. I tend to average about 90-140 Mbps over an 802.11n WiFi network, much faster if it's through ethernet. Are you getting normal network speeds doing other tasks?
speeDemon
I have a Philips Wireless Modem Router CGA5722 54 Mbps 802.11 b/g ADSL, I'm not sure what all that means though Razz

It does say "speed: 54 Mbps" in the properties.

Actually I've never used the router at more than 250 KBps. I only use it to connect to the internet, and my plan with my ISP gives me 256 KBps maximum(rarely attained, I usually get ~128 KBps).

I'm not sure why it's so slow. Maybe wireless transfers just are? OR maybe there is something 'slow' about my laptop. One is a new dell inspiron with windows 7, and the other is a comparatively old Vaio(always full of problems) running vista.
manfer
speeDemon wrote:
I have a Philips Wireless Modem Router CGA5722 54 Mbps 802.11 b/g ADSL, I'm not sure what all that means though Razz

It does say "speed: 54 Mbps" in the properties.

Actually I've never used the router at more than 250 KBps. I only use it to connect to the internet, and my plan with my ISP gives me 256 KBps maximum(rarely attained, I usually get ~128 KBps).

I'm not sure why it's so slow. Maybe wireless transfers just are? OR maybe there is something 'slow' about my laptop. One is a new dell inspiron with windows 7, and the other is a comparatively old Vaio(always full of problems) running vista.

None of the laptops should limit the speed. The network cards are for sure 10-100 Mbps unless it were very very old and the network card where only 10Mbps. Anyway even in this last case you are far from that speed.

The second limit is the HD speeds and again HDs work at a much higher speed than those 250KBps.

The local network has nothing to do with the internet connection. So your ISP speed limit has nothing to do with the local network. In fact you could just disconnect the Internet cable and still be able to transfer data between both laptops.
speeDemon
manfer wrote:
The local network has nothing to do with the internet connection. So your ISP speed limit has nothing to do with the local network. In fact you could just disconnect the Internet cable and still be able to transfer data between both laptops.

I know that, I'm just saying I've never seen my router giving download speed more that 250 KBps for any purpose, I know that it can definitely give much more, just that I've never actually seen it in action Razz
manfer
The router ports should be 10/100 and anyway you are not using them as you are connecting both laptops wireless.

The wireless as you said has a lot more speed 54Mbps.

So maybe you are using a channel for your wireless connection that has too much traffic and your data transfer interferes with other near people transfers or other electronics are interfering the channel bandwidth so you should change the channel in your wifi configuration to try to raise the data transfer speed.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/c/cga5722_05/cga5722_05_dfu_eng.pdf
Read section 4.5.3 of manual that describes the wireless configuration including Channel and SSID subsection (channel is what you want to change, try different ones to see if you get higher speeds, move it two places higher or lower than you have just now, for example if it is now configured on channel 6 move to channel 8 to try and so on).