FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Get rid of the introductions forum

truespeed
I have never seen the point in introduction forums,a category created for new people just to say hi,the fact that the one on frihost is an almost safe haven for spammers for me is even more of a reason to get rid of it.

Just a suggestion. Wink
Ankhanu
Some people seem to like it, but, I can't say I care for it either.

I tend to avoid it, unless I'm making an effort to be friendly and personable... and even then it's just a post or two and I'm done. Bleedin' curmudgeon I am Razz
darthrevan
I agree as well. It tends to be a pointless forum as well.
deanhills
I disagree. It would be VERY strange for a Forum like the one at Frihost not to have an Introductions Sub-Forum. It is a nice way to catch your spammers as well. Particularly the ones who are using spam links in their signatures. Most of all however, it's a place for newbies who don't know what to post and where to start. And also a place where new members should be getting a nice warm welcome from us as well. Ocalhoun was really good with welcoming new members long before he became a Moderator. This was his trademark welcome that came with his welcome posts:

Here are examples of some good introduction threads:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-59905.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-21269.html
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-22561.html

I didn't post in the Introductions Forum when I joined, but after a while found it valuable to get to know some of the people who are posting on the Board. If one checks through the threads in the Introductions Sub-Forum, as I had when I participated in Peterssidan's Avatar competition a few months ago, there are some interesting introductions among them as well. Here are some of them:

One of our youngest members at the time:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-303887.html#303887

Introduction thread with a difference:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-17396.html

Like all of the other Sub-Forums the Introductions Sub-Forum probably needs some loving care by a Moderator. Or someone designated to take care of it, as there are spam posts that need to be filtered out from time to time. Having spam is however not unique to the Introductions Forum. And should be easy to spot by a Moderator who pays attention to this Forum.
shkhanal
I agree with deanhills. When I first joined Frihost, the system introduced me with that forum and there is my first post.

At least we have somewhere that we can send the newcomer.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Ocalhoun was really good with welcoming new members long before he became a Moderator. This was his trademark welcome that came with his welcome posts:

Oh wow... haven't seen that thing in years.

...Also haven't gone into the introductions forum for years either, except occasionally when spam was reported there.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
...Also haven't gone into the introductions forum for years either, except occasionally when spam was reported there.
I've seen some spammers recently with lists of links in their signatures there. Seems to be a forum that is marked for spam.
Ghost Rider103
I can't say I really agree with removing the Introduction forum altogether.

I do agree that it is an absolute spam magnet. It's fairly difficult to moderate, as it can be hard to tell which threads you have already visited and which you haven't. Plus, if I went through the Introduction forum right now and removed all of the junk Introductions, I would be there for a very, very long time. As each time I remove one, another will appear at the bottom of the list.

So while we are working to clean up the forums, I think it would be silly to say that we will get every last bit of it. There is simply too many posts. We have to keep up with the new spam, if we can do that, then new spam getting in will be dealt with quick making the forums cleaner.

I could suggest some good ideas on how to make the Introduction forum a better place and more for official introductions which would be better for new members... but there are larger priorities at the moment.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
I could suggest some good ideas on how to make the Introduction forum a better place and more for official introductions which would be better for new members... but there are larger priorities at the moment.
I'd think for now our usual practice of just visiting the Introductions Forum to welcome members is a good idea. There are a few of us who have been doing this on a regular basis. It is easily doable, and is particularly a good idea as there are some new members who take trouble with their Introduction threads. However one should watch out that one is not inadvertently responding to a spam introduction thread. If I see links in signatures that look suspicious, I skip that thread. Particularly new member introductions that appear at the bottom of an existing introductions thread that belongs to someone else.
Qantas94Heavy
The problem is that people need a place to get started - although the fact that people may be scared of saying something like "Hi, and welcome to the Frihost forums! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask us." because it could be seen as a low quality post and also (apart from being nice) there are no points to be gained as an incentive (although that would make the spam magnet that it already is hell of a lot stronger). I'm not saying that I specifically am like that, simply that this could be something we need to look at to improve it slightly.
milkshake01
The Introductions Forum is a good way to introduce yourself to the Frihost community. Removing it isn't a good idea.
ocalhoun
I do agree that it has a very important function in converting 0-post users into 1-post users (who are much more likely to then make more posts.)

But it is also an absolute spam hell right now. Confused

I got nothin. -- but I would consider that it might be the one forum here that could actually use a pruning function.
deanhills
Another Sub-Forum that seems to be receiving a lot of spam seems to be the Health and Beauty Sub-Forum. Badly in need of some pruning as there are PLENTY of duplicated, maybe even triplicated threads.
truespeed
I was going to start a thread for this but I will ask here as we are on the subject and it is related,why is there a reluctance to add new moderators?

When I first joined the forums there were loads of mods,and they were all regularly active,I don't think there are any regularly active mods now,Bikerman isn't around anymore,well hasn't been for a few months,ocalhoun is kept busy running his own forums,Ghost Rider when he is on is very active,but he can go for long periods when he is not around,which is fine if there are enough moderators in numbers to fill the gaps of absence of each other,but there aren't and with so many spam posts every day,I am surprised new moderatorrs aren't beimg appointed.