FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Damn you java update!

ocalhoun
Okay, here's the annoying problem:

Every few days, I'll get a pop-up of Java asking permission to modify my computer (win 7). If I deny this permission, a java system tray icon appears, which causes the message to pop up again when clicked.
If I allow it permission, it will go away for a moment, then come up with a new pop-up saying: "You already have the latest Java(TM) Platform on this system."

I've disabled java's auto-update, but it didn't change anything.

Is there any way to tell java not to bother me with updates when there are no updates, before I get fed up and remove java entirely?
LxGoodies
hi @Ocalhoun,

One tip would be this one, but I suppose you allready installed it,

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

Make sure you clean up your startup, that is Start.Go/MSConfig, go last tab (startup) or edit with Regedit, settings in registry key Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run. There is all the stuff that Windows runs at startup and you are not aware of. Clean it up, remove all stuff that does not relate to important tasks. If you don't require Java remove all java and Sun related stuff.. If you can't see what task something does, google it. then restart PC

Smile Lx
ocalhoun
Hm... I would like to continue having java, since it's necessary to view some sites.
Hopefully the java updater and java browser addons have different startup entries and can be enabled/disabled independently.
LxGoodies
ocalhoun wrote:
Hm... I would like to continue having java, since it's necessary to view some sites.
Hopefully the java updater and java browser addons have different startup entries and can be enabled/disabled independently.

The problem is in the Java updater not Java itself

Just remove Java Update stuff first.. you can even remove all.. then enter the site you'd like to see and click "update plugins" if needed (in FF this worked for me.. I had the same kinda problem)

Lx
welshsteve
I've been having this issue with quite a few computers at work. I just removed Java from the machines completely, then went to the java site and downloaded the latest version and installed it. All is fine after that.
slimviking
ocalhoun wrote:

A free advice: uninstall java.

Is usful for very few sites and is a HUGE security risk.
There are a actual market for exploit for infecting people remotely, using java.

Just search "java drive by"
ocalhoun
slimviking wrote:

Is usful for very few sites and is a HUGE security risk.

Unfortunately some sites (especially my bank's website, my credit card's website, and my school's website) rely on java for some crucial functions, and are unusable without it.

Sadly, I need java.
(But thankfully, this pop-up stopped appearing all on its own. Here's hoping it stays gone!)