FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is beer healthy?

jajarvin
I drink a couple of pints beer a day.
It this healthy?
Is there information about this topic?
SonLight
Limiting your intake of alcoholic beverages to two beers a day is definitely healthy. It is uncertain whether it is healthier than drinking no alcoholic beverages at all. Some studies have suggested that substituting wine for beer might be beneficial.

The greatest concern I would have for beer-for-health is that a lot of people who try it will eventually increase their intake to a definitely unhealthy level.
royale1223
Alchohol in small contents is healthy. In large contents it will cause, cirrhosis, hepatoma, fatty liver etc.
Afaceinthematrix
I think that there is a distinct difference between "healthy" and "not unhealthy." I don't think that beer is necessarily healthy. It has a lot of calories and carbohydrates. However, it has less alcohol than wine and hard liquor. I've heard that a glass of red wine a day is actually healthy for you (I'm assuming something in the grapes) and if that is healthy for you than the amount of alcohol in something with less alcohol isn't going to be unhealthy. So really, drinking beer in moderation is just consuming extra calories and carbohydrates. Calories and carbohydrates certainly aren't unhealthy because you need them - just not in excess. So I definitely wouldn't consider beer to be unhealthy - if drank in moderation - although this doesn't imply that it is healthy (i.e. good for you). It's probably rather neutral.

Although on second thought, it may be argued that it can be healthy because if drank in moderation it doesn't hurt your body and even in moderation, beer helps reduce stress - which is bad for you and your blood pressure. So maybe beer is good as a stress reliever - although so is masturbation and laughing. So really, whatever helps you relieve stress and that isn't actually bad for you is probably really good for you in moderation.
darthrevan
SonLight wrote:
Limiting your intake of alcoholic beverages to two beers a day is definitely healthy. It is uncertain whether it is healthier than drinking no alcoholic beverages at all. Some studies have suggested that substituting wine for beer might be beneficial.

The greatest concern I would have for beer-for-health is that a lot of people who try it will eventually increase their intake to a definitely unhealthy level.

yeah I have heard that a cup of wine a day is good for ya
Josso
Tis' true no idea about beer but it's been proven already that 1 small glass of wine per day is better than 0 wine.
watersoul
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
So maybe beer is good as a stress reliever - although so is masturbation and laughing. So really, whatever helps you relieve stress and that isn't actually bad for you is probably really good for you in moderation.

Haha, brilliant! Totally agree there.
Peterssidan
Don't forget that alcohol increases the cancer risk.
Josso
What doesn't these days. If you live in a city it's like smoking a pack of cigs per day compared to rural areas.
darthrevan
watersoul wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
So maybe beer is good as a stress reliever - although so is masturbation and laughing. So really, whatever helps you relieve stress and that isn't actually bad for you is probably really good for you in moderation.

Haha, brilliant! Totally agree there.

yeah some people drink to try and run from problems though of course after sobering up, through problem will come back. So yeah by this definition it is a temporary fix.
mediserve
Beer can make your tummy big...lol Very Happy
bijju
Great said... Ha Ha Very Happy
Quote:
You have beer and you get tummy
And people say you going to be mummy
Very Happy Very Happy [/quote]
darthrevan
Yeah beer seems make you gain a bigger belly even light beer will. Personally I hate beer so I don't have to worry about that.
deanhills
I'm not partial to beer either. Not my alcoholic beverage of choice.
darthrevan
Eh if beer is good for bones then I would find an alternative. I do not like the taste of beer.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
Eh if beer is good for bones then I would find an alternative. I do not like the taste of beer.
Neither do I. I'm munching on a lot of spinach these days, so hope that counts for being "good for bones". Though in the end I'd think the healthiest for bones would be regular exercise. And good digestion. So that the calcium can be readily absorbed by the body.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Neither do I. I'm munching on a lot of spinach these days, so hope that counts for being "good for bones". Though in the end I'd think the healthiest for bones would be regular exercise. And good digestion. So that the calcium can be readily absorbed by the body.

Another thing that helps with digestion is probiotics. Seem I had heard too much calcium is bad for you
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

Another thing that helps with digestion is probiotics. Seem I had heard too much calcium is bad for you
Right. Everything in moderation. I have a fermented milk drink, kefir quite regularly, maybe five times a week. I've been using it for the last two months and it has improved my digestion I think. Always difficult to pinpoint of course exactly what single item has been responsible for improvement, could be the total package, but kefir is known for being a great source of probiotics. I get it from the Organics Food Market in Dubai. Imported from Germany. Amazing where my food comes from. Tomatoes from Holland, cucumbers from Oman, salmon from Scandinavia, fermented milk products from Germany, organic beef burgers and chicken from Germany, raw spinach from the US, frozen spinach from Denmark, frozen mixed veggies from Germany and New Zealand, onions locally, garlic from China, and the list goes on and on.
darthrevan
deanhills wrote:
Right. Everything in moderation. I have a fermented milk drink, kefir quite regularly, maybe five times a week. I've been using it for the last two months and it has improved my digestion I think. Always difficult to pinpoint of course exactly what single item has been responsible for improvement, could be the total package, but kefir is known for being a great source of probiotics. I get it from the Organics Food Market in Dubai. Imported from Germany. Amazing where my food comes from. Tomatoes from Holland, cucumbers from Oman, salmon from Scandinavia, fermented milk products from Germany, organic beef burgers and chicken from Germany, raw spinach from the US, frozen spinach from Denmark, frozen mixed veggies from Germany and New Zealand, onions locally, garlic from China, and the list goes on and on.

Also probiotics helps heartburn/Acid reflux. I heard that on the Dr. Asa show and it helped my wife with hers. So yeah probiotics is a good thing. I guess it works to help the body digest stuff that causes GERD.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Also probiotics helps heartburn/Acid reflux. I heard that on the Dr. Asa show and it helped my wife with hers. So yeah probiotics is a good thing. I guess it works to help the body digest stuff that causes GERD.
It does. I've also upped on exercise. The best way to relax. Also a form of meditation for me. I can't do meditation the traditional way. Just gets too restless and can't sit still for long stretches of time.
mshafiq
i don't thing that beer is good for health especially in pregnant women beer is not good it could harm their baby
deanhills
I know beer is good for cooking, particularly barbecuing, or as a basting "sauce".
Mitchel
As it is said excess of any thing is bad A little beer has not bad affect on your health But if you will start taking in a large quantity that is surely going to be dangerous
James_Adam
It's really nice talking about healthy beer, and also really nice above comments, guys, often me and my friends, really like to drink beer in bar's and also there we lot's of enjoy ...
zimmer
iT is good to drink a beer moderately as they always said anything excess is bad and whatever it is either beer, food, or others.

Well, that is true. Me i drink beers for relaxation. From the heavy day i drink red wine or beer to chill out.

As they said if you feel comfortable with then its a good sign for relaxation. Laughing
Helios
I'd say you won't be any less healthy if you don't drink beer at all, or any other alcoholic beverages.
If you really really enjoy beer, then by all means consume it, however drink it in moderation as said previously.

There are these guys who brew their own beer. I also think that drinking your own brew, just like eating food you've cooked yourself, is healthier and in many cases also tastier.
dharmin
Limiting the intake of alcohol to a certain limit per day (maybe 2 pints of beer) could be beneficial if you live in colder climatic conditions....If you are near the equator or from any hot and humid climatic condition then alcohol even in smaller quantities can be harmful.
Sabbadon
I love any kind of beer. the goal is drink what you like but with moderation. I think that 1 pint is not less healthy than a glass of Cola or other equivalent..
kaysch
I think it is out of the question that in today's world beer is not the healthiest of drinks. It has a lot of calories which leads to being overweight, alcohol which is a toxic substance and very few vitamins.

Having said that, it makes you pee a lot and so it can have a positive effect on cleaning your kidneys or the bladder. Which is one of the reasons for which in many German hospitals you would be prescribed beer as part of your daily diet if you have problems with the kidneys. And yeast contains vitamin B and its derivatives which it is said to have a positive impact on hair and skin. Which is why you will find yeast in various shampoos and soap.

In locations that have problems with the quality of drinking water beer can be very healthy compared to other drinks as water has to be boiled when brewing beer, thus killing more or less all germs contained in the water. And that is the reason beer was a very successful drink in medieval times. In the 16th century there were more than 500 breweries in my hometown Hamburg.

So all in all I guess it depends on how much and under which circumstances you drink beer. As with all things it probably depends on the amount you consume to decide whether it is good or bad for you.
likeabreeze
For normal people, it doesn't matter if you drink beer once in a while..
but too much beer is just another thing.
For some folks with diseases, especially those with liver problems, beer is always not recommended.
theShadow
I believe everything is healthy until you overdo it! Its natural to put random crap into your body every now and then. Humans have been doing it for a long long time. But to get drunk out of your face...well that's not natural! Rolling Eyes
Morris23
There are many harms for the health like it cause the poising and vomiting. It also cause the memory loss and in memory loss you can forget everything even yourself.. It also creates problem for your liver..