FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Any fiction writers out there?

ocalhoun
I've been getting into fiction writing as a hobby lately... (perhaps one day I'll end up writing novels and making money at it... that would be awesome ^.^) and I've just gotten my first short story fiction 'published'*.

So, I was wondering if there were any other fiction (or non-fiction for that matter) writers around here, and if you might have any tips for someone starting out.

For now, my plan is to write short fanfictions, publishing them online and getting feedback about them... After getting some experience that way, I'll think about moving on into actual novels... and perhaps some nonfiction as well.

*Online only. Read it at: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/60437/1/First-Impression/First-Impression if you're curious. (Though I'll warn you, you'll need to have seen two MLP:FiM episodes for this story to have its full impact: season 1, episode 5, and season 2 episode 26.)
saratdear
Oh, me. I've been at it on and off for the past 4 years or so. Started around 4 novels which went nowhere. On the short story side, had a couple published in magazines and stuff.

While you're at it, have you heard about NaNoWriMo?
Insanity
I do some writing just as a hobby, but nothing to the extent of getting published or anything. It's just a fun way to pass time and utilize those creative juices.
saratdear
At the risk of hijacking your thread, ocalhoun, I'd like to post the link to the forum where I've put up my story. Anyone mind going through and giving comments? - http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=40502
RosenCruz
I always wanna write "stuff". Ideas come to mind in toilet, in some other place when I m without a pencil.

But I can never sit down and write. Lazy me Mad
codegeek
I used to write a lot of fiction when I was young(er). However, most of them were about alien civilizations are war with each other. I especially like books written by Isaac Asimov.
BigGeek
I've been interested in writing fiction for a long time. Unfortunately my job requires that I write non-fiction. I have to write instruction manuals, product briefs, and all kinds of other material for our company. Problem is that after writing non-fiction all day the last thing I want to do when I get home is to write some more. I had in the past written some short stories, and I have an outline for a novel, but nothing published. I often laugh at Kurt Vonnegut who spent close to 30 years of his life as a technical writer for General Electric (I think?) before he ever wrote a novel. Technical writing is hard, requires a lot of research and time to ensure that content is accurate and correct, terms and symbols are correct and consistent. The few short stories I have written were such a pleasure, the only thing I had to do was stop to think how I wanted the story to go......much easier than what I do for a living!!
foumy6
I have a good friend who may be able to help you out. (He was an old guild leader on WoW Razz) www.writertank.com
nickfyoung
I sat down to write a novel once. I got about 100 pages in and then scrapped it. Mainly because I got married again and my novel was a bit raunchy in places and I didn't want my new wife to see it. It was going pretty well and I often wonder how it would have went when it came to publishing time. I have a friend who has just published her first novel and I had a read. It was pretty amazing with such an intricate plot. I commented on that to her and said how she must have spent so much time putting a plot like that together. She said that she just wrote it chapter by chapter not really knowing where it was going. It was either a real fluke or she has amazing talent.
Vanilla
I love to write fiction, I think I enjoy more writing than reading it. I just love how you can create fiction to entertain yourself rather than searching for it. I wrote some books but never published anything, the far I went was putting some fanfictions online and that's it. I still write for my own entertainment and I don't care if people never read my stuff.

nickfyoung wrote:
I sat down to write a novel once. I got about 100 pages in and then scrapped it. Mainly because I got married again and my novel was a bit raunchy in places and I didn't want my new wife to see it. It was going pretty well and I often wonder how it would have went when it came to publishing time. I have a friend who has just published her first novel and I had a read. It was pretty amazing with such an intricate plot. I commented on that to her and said how she must have spent so much time putting a plot like that together. She said that she just wrote it chapter by chapter not really knowing where it was going. It was either a real fluke or she has amazing talent.

When I write something (either a scientific essay or just regular fiction) that's my modus operandi. Very Happy I just write and don't plan anything. Then I think of something that would be just wonderful for the plot and go back to change a few details. I'm not one for planning my writing, I just write. Can't tell if I'm good as your friend though. Razz
IndieCthulhu
See I do write a little but as people have posted before once I go to write down that awesome idea in my head I get mad writers block... I never have a pen and paper handy
standready
ocalhoun,
Once you write something that is not a follow up to a licensed series, you might want to consider self-publishing on Amazon (kindle) - https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin or others.

I am working on some stories now.
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
ocalhoun,
Once you write something that is not a follow up to a licensed series, you might want to consider self-publishing on Amazon (kindle)

I'll keep that in mind as a plan B...

But I really would love to be published through traditional media. ^.^
nickfyoung
Lulu is an interesting site where you can self publish without cost.

http://www.lulu.com/
matt_jeffries
Psyberius Seven ,, data construct five of four..DADA chip active....collect data on new environments in virtual ether space...

hmmmpf ...what a load of gobbledegook, all we think of now days this new thought structure patterning fashion= to be a vacuous hole of existant space ,,,possibly potent with the power of possibility.....
markharris
nickfyoung wrote:
Lulu is an interesting site where you can self publish without cost.

http://www.lulu.com/

thanks for sharing. its great
muntja
i've written a little, but stopped half way through and never picked it back up... just wasn't my thing'

but my father, who is a much better writer than i, did write one, completed it, it's copy written and published up to amazon; he runs his own site on it.

wasn't really about money to him more than just being a published writer; i'm hoping to get his book printed into a real book, even if it's only like a set of 10, he would really like to see that the most;

if you want, it's a CIA/sci-fi thing related to 9/11; called elimination of the snakes; he does a podcast by the same name as well; first chapter is available on the site... it's good and worth a read;