FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Where to start?

murray732
I just finished a bunch of html tutorials and fooling around with image editors...and then i decided to make a website, only problem was I couldn't think of an idea!!So I finally found out that I was gonna make it on ping pong...and then I didn't know where to begin on the webpage...I'm clueless at designing Confused any tips? Sad
pll
Some tips:

-Begin to make your layout
-Cut your layout
-Make your layout cool in a HTML page (with dreamweaver, frontpage etc)
-Host it on FRIhost Wink !
-try to be original

this is my tips...
I hope I help you !
Nillis
try looking at websites you like, and then change their style to your own taste. that will give you a starting point
engeland
you need to find a site which inspires you to do your own design. most prolly you'll be doing something that looks like the site which inspires u. it always starts like that.

you have to like designing, you can't just do one just coz you think its cool Wink
m_furquan36
Inspiration can be good and disasterous, some inspirations are discreetly unsuccessful, so its reccomended not to choose those sites as inspirations. Concepts for design come from your Artistic Liscence... and HOW to design it comes from Technical skill...

Take a look at many sites online, and then learn techniques of rearrangin images and content to best suite your hearts wants...
Peter
or you can sketch a layout on paper (sometimes I do this) and than try to make it in HTML. If you don't know how to do, you can ask for help on this forum, or a forum specialized in HTML and other scripting languages (php, css etc.)
Remzo
Think of the theme (abstract, grunge, tech, simple) and colours and then draw a basic layout on paper and conver to your graphics program.
gamo
murray732 wrote:
I just finished a bunch of html tutorials and fooling around with image editors...and then i decided to make a website, only problem was I couldn't think of an idea!!So I finally found out that I was gonna make it on ping pong...and then I didn't know where to begin on the webpage...I'm clueless at designing Confused any tips? Sad

Very easy... Just design on photoshop first. Then slice and export to html page. Even if you could edit by word , and export to html files.

If you want your site look cool, you must lose a lot of time to design graphics. This make you exhausted, but the result is great too.
murray732
Thanks guys!!...great tips...that drawing thing really helped me out....i'll try some things out and if i like any or need an opinion on them ill post them here or in that other forum too...thanks for the help! Very Happy
friscofrankie
My thoughts on this are a bit different. Start with a simple html document. Write an article, add some liks to other sites about your subject. just a plain non-formatted page.
Now once yu have a full page of stuff start messing about. use some of the features of html/css (or xhtml/css) to make your site more pleasing to the eye. Read your tutorials about navigation, style, etc. As your content grows you'll start getting ideas about how you'd lke it presented. Maybe give your page a menu, a couple of pics. Your inspiration will come from what you've got on the page.
By all means, look at other pages; get a feel for what is possible. Start simple, work up to more complex approaches as you begin to understand them. learn to code cleanly.

Work fromthe ground up. you'll develop an understanding of html and
in a few weeks you might just have something to be proud of.
murray732
hey guys, i found out what my actual problem was in designing webpages...i was starting in the wrong place...i was talking with a proffessional web designer the other day, and he told me that....the very first thing you need to learn...is design, not programming....i learnt all the programming and no design...so i didn't have a design to put to work....right now im taking several photoshop tutorials...and used some of the links on this site, they have really good tutorials!!...so i don't know if this post will help anybody else who was starting in the wrong place, but here it is.. Wink