FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

huh ?? 36.000.000.000.000 dollar washed away by Sandy

LxGoodies
Just heard on the news..

It seems that in New York, with tropical storm Sandy, water damage was done to

36.000.000.000.000 dollar in shares and certificates..

Shocked Rolling Eyes WTF !!??? Did not realize that so much money exists (anywhere)

Lx
Peterssidan
I think when the Americans say billion they mean 1 000 000 000, so you have probably got 3 zeroes too many. Still a lot of money though.
LxGoodies
Well you may be right, on Dutch Radio 1 it was said "36 biljoen", that means 36.000 miljard, that is 36 million million. They must have misunderstood.. De Telegraaf now gives 1000x less, that is a 36 Billion (American) value now (36 miljard dollars)

By the way, googling around for "trillions" I found a few links that DO speak about trillions (1000 miljard) but that is about other topics,

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/10/29/behind-estimated-30-trillion-drain-a-lot-of-hypothetical-assumptions/

"Rich individuals and their families have as much as $32 trillion of hidden financial assets in offshore tax havens, representing up to $280bn in lost income tax revenues, according to research published on Sunday."

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2012/07/2012722145418435676.html

If you think about it.. Anxious totally bizarre amount 1000 miljard or 1 trillion (of anything.. suppose you would own 1 trillion rice grains, that is 30,000 tons of rice )

Lx Razz
johans
LxGoodies wrote:
Just heard on the news..

It seems that in New York, with tropical storm Sandy, water damage was done to

36.000.000.000.000 dollar in shares and certificates..

Shocked Rolling Eyes WTF !!??? Did not realize that so much money exists (anywhere)

Lx

thats billion to read on.

Wow! thats a huge money. for sure it can recover immediately since USA have a lot of disaster recovery allocation budget.
milkshake01
Different cultures use certain words like "billion" differently. It probably refers to 36.000.000.000
samanyolu07
OMG This is really???