FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PDF Software

Gregoric
Good day

As I have started my university classes, it came out that I will need to operate on PDF files a lot. Until then, I have never been in need for anything else than Acrobat Reader thus I don't really know which applications are useful, which are the most efficent etc.

So, here I come to you to ask for applications which are your favourite or you think they are essential, useful or at least popular.

I will be glad if you suggest me anything for Windows or J2ME (mobile Java). What do i need? Anything related to PDFs: viewing, editing, converting to other formats, creating PDFs; anything.

Thank you for upcoming suggestions!
rx9876
Do you have budget for PDF software?

The software expensive is usually powerful.
If you do not need to "edit PDF files", some freewares might be enough.
RosenCruz
NitroPdf, doPdf and FoxIt should be a nice combo for you
Gregoric
@rx9876
Well, as I have said, I am student thus I am really low on money Smile. So, I would rather want freeware but even if you'd suggest me anything commercial, I would be able to search something freeware with similar use. What do I mean by editing PDFs is just to be able to extract single desired page, cut out (delete) pages with images (just being able to et rid of unwanted pages) or make the PDF grayscale. There has to be some simple application with at least some basic features.

@RosenCruz
Thanks. I am already using the doPDF, gotta research on the others.

Also, what software to convert images/scannings/PDFs to text/documents do you know? I think it's called OCR? I have some already but they convert files slow or can't handle large files.
cybersa
Gregoric wrote:
@rx9876
Well, as I have said, I am student thus I am really low on money Smile. So, I would rather want freeware but even if you'd suggest me anything commercial, I would be able to search something freeware with similar use. What do I mean by editing PDFs is just to be able to extract single desired page, cut out (delete) pages with images (just being able to et rid of unwanted pages) or make the PDF grayscale. There has to be some simple application with at least some basic features.

@RosenCruz
Thanks. I am already using the doPDF, gotta research on the others.

Also, what software to convert images/scannings/PDFs to text/documents do you know? I think it's called OCR? I have some already but they convert files slow or can't handle large files.

Here you get some free software:
www.wondershare.com/pdf/top-5-free-ocr-apps.html
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-free-ocr-software-tools-to-convert-your-images-into-text-nb/
RosenCruz
Abby Fine Reader is what you look for but I guess it is kind of expensive. May be you can check for a trial version, handle your duties and let it go Smile

Foxit has basic PDF editing tools but on free version, it will watermark your PDF Wink
rx9876
As far as I know, all free pdf editor are trail software, so they will set some limitation, like watermark or page limits.

pdf-xchange-viewer is one of this kind of trail software which will layer watermarks.
http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

If you just need to "print" some file in pdf format(which will lose bookmarks, indexs, hyper-links, e.t.c.),
you can use cutepdf writer or pdf creator which are freewares and without watermarks.
Gregoric
Thank you, Cybersa and again Rx9876 and RosenCruz.

For editing it should be enough. Now how about converting PDF into other formats? I've got one converter PDF -> ePub but still want something to convert into DOC/DOCX, images or plain TXT. You know any such applications?

Also, I'd be glad to hear about even more OCR programs Smile
rx9876
Gregoric wrote:
Thank you, Cybersa and again Rx9876 and RosenCruz.

For editing it should be enough. Now how about converting PDF into other formats? I've got one converter PDF -> ePub but still want something to convert into DOC/DOCX, images or plain TXT. You know any such applications?

Also, I'd be glad to hear about even more OCR programs Smile

pdf-xchange-viewer has build-in OCR.
basic support langs are English, French, German, Spanish.
Others in http://www.tracker-software.com/pdf-xchange-viewer-ocr

When it comes to pdf converting,
the problem is if the original document is "printed" to PDF, converter can't not convert the pdf to editable word document, it will be conver to a word files contains many pictures.

There is one.
PDF To WORD Converter
www.pdfwordconverter.net
SonLight
I was able to use the open-source program pdfedit to remove pages (only one-at-a time, though), add a couple of lines of text, or insert another pdf file into a document. It appears this might become quite an effective editor if better documented and/or given more features. There are script-based operations which I couldn't find explained well.
rx9876
SonLight wrote:
I was able to use the open-source program pdfedit to remove pages (only one-at-a time, though), add a couple of lines of text, or insert another pdf file into a document. It appears this might become quite an effective editor if better documented and/or given more features. There are script-based operations which I couldn't find explained well.

There is a windows version, and I tried to use it for a while.
The software is not stable, and crashes a lot.
http://pdfedit.cz/en/pdfedit_windows.html
Gregoric
rx9876 wrote:
SonLight wrote:

There is a windows version, and I tried to use it for a while.
The software is not stable, and crashes a lot.
http://pdfedit.cz/en/pdfedit_windows.html
Possum
Alternative PDF readers

A great PDF converter to a E-Book format is http://calibre-ebook.com/
Peterssidan
Are you sure you have to edit PDF documents? If you just want to create PDF documents you can use something like LibreOffice or LaTeX.
bogisha
NitroPdf is only one free viewer/creator/editor I know... Maybe there are more
kaysch
The freeware software suggested such as Foxit or NitroPDF is OK, and I use those tools at the office. But in my mind they are limited in functionality and sometimes even erroneous. I think that Adobe Acrobat is still the best programme to view, edit and especially convert and merge PDF files. There are some key generators available on the internet, but of course you would not want to install them because that would be illegal. Wink What you could do is install a test version and see whether you like it. If you do, wait for your birthday or buy a used license. No need to have the very latest version anyway. The main functionality has been available for many versions now. At least in my mind the added functions of later versions are not really essential to have, especially if you are on a tight budget. Or if your birthday is far in the future. Very Happy
Arrogant
FoxIt is very good and free
Pande
I really like Nuendo but unfortunately it installs some annoying spam upgrading stuff with it. You can disable it though it's just difficult.
sysna
Foxit (the full version) is the best PDF software i've ever seen, in newer versions its UI is like microsoft office products with many things that you can do to your PDF files.
Pippo90
I would strongly suggest Foxit, like some others said.
dude_xyx
Foxit is the best free one. I have used it for years.
Gregoric
I've been using teh Acrobat for some time again. Well, I ahve to chekc the Foxit again then. Thanks for all the suggestions!
pravojednostavno
NitroPdf is very good
Werfkjl
Try Vibosoft PDF Converter Master, no headaches anymore!:
http://www.vibosoft.com/ebook/convert-pdf-to-epub-mac-windows.html
dude_xyx
I use FoxIt PDF reader but I think I found one free PDF editor few weeks back and bookmarked it. Then I totally forgot about it. Need to find that one.
candido
pdftoolkit
candido
pdfedit
Da Rossa
Well, Adobe Acrobat is certainly the best thing around. But it is also pricey, so maybe you want something else.

LibreOffice has a very easy and handy button to create PDFs instantly from the current document. Since PDFs are not made to be edited directly, then it can be something to consider.

Also, if you do not want LibreOffice, then PDFCreator is a virtual printer that converts any document to PDF. Free and open source.

To view, try Foxit Reader. Since it's got a little bloated over the latest versions, then you can use the kinda ugly, yet lightning fast SUMATRAPDF. Give it a google-go!
SlashnburnSoftwareStudio
I use PDF Creator but its an old version, check if newer version has adverts or free software that will need to be taken off.

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator
ritwiksaxena54
you can use CutePDF which is free. Foxit is also a good option for reader and converter.
bioinfo_lcs
Gregoric wrote:
Good day

As I have started my university classes, it came out that I will need to operate on PDF files a lot. Until then, I have never been in need for anything else than Acrobat Reader thus I don't really know which applications are useful, which are the most efficent etc.

So, here I come to you to ask for applications which are your favourite or you think they are essential, useful or at least popular.

I will be glad if you suggest me anything for Windows or J2ME (mobile Java). What do i need? Anything related to PDFs: viewing, editing, converting to other formats, creating PDFs; anything.

Thank you for upcoming suggestions!

Foxit!
Foxit is great!
I really recommend this software.
Adobe is too obese.
lcreed
I use Inkscape https://inkscape.org/ to edit PDF files, Icecream PDF Split&Merge http://icecreamapps.com/PDF-Split-and-Merge/ to split and merge PDF files and Foxit Reader http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/ to read PDF files. To me these 3 programs are sufficient.
Da Rossa
I've heard Foxit Reader has gone bloated. This is very unfortunate; it used to be a nice piece of software, a good alternative to Adobe Reader. This always happens to good, free programs. A shame.

Now I use SumatraPDF and I'm happy about it. To read PDFs, anyway. Very lightweight.
bensh3
If you're a programmer you might want to use google tesseract open source ocr library. It's the best open source library today and it will handle most things adobe handles, and ofcourse the best this is the supported Platforms. Tesseract works on Linux, Windows (with VC++ Express or CygWin) and Mac OSX. It can also be compiled for other platforms, including Android and the iPhone, though these are not as well tested platforms.