FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which cell phone provides best Frihost posting experience?

deanhills
I've never used a cell phone to post before, but am planning to get a more up to date cell phone in a few months or so that may include something like that (depending on the total package of what I want).

Am curious in your experience, which cell phone would provide for the best Frihost Forum posting?
standready
Sorry Dean, can't you help with that since I don't use my cell phone for anything except calls.
Ankhanu
I only have experience with my iPhones, so can't compare. Sorry.
RosenCruz
Any stuff with Opera Mini should do fine, imo and something like 3 inch screen
darthrevan
RosenCruz wrote:
Any stuff with Opera Mini should do fine, imo and something like 3 inch screen

I am currently using Opera full version.

At deanhills now I see what you meant about new topic idea on the 5000 posts for November. I would recommend atleast an Android phone. I say iPhone is too expensive and overrated because of how many people uses it. Android is also based slightly on linux so that is a plus to me. Just get one with a decent sized screen.
Ankhanu
darthrevan wrote:
... recommend atleast an Android phone. I say iPhone is too expensive and overrated because of how many people uses it. Android is also based slightly on linux so that is a plus to me. Just get one with a decent sized screen.

Android's fine, but "iPhone is too expensive" is something of a fallacy when compared against similar quality Android phones... and "overrated because of how many people use is" is just silly.
Android's not based slightly on linux, it is linux.
darthrevan
Ankhanu wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
... recommend atleast an Android phone. I say iPhone is too expensive and overrated because of how many people uses it. Android is also based slightly on linux so that is a plus to me. Just get one with a decent sized screen.

Android's fine, but "iPhone is too expensive" is something of a fallacy when compared against similar quality Android phones... and "overrated because of how many people use is" is just silly.
Android's not based slightly on linux, it is linux.
Yeah this is just my opinion. I don't care to buy Snape iPhone for one I don't want to pay the price and well I don't really want to be like the majority of people. I tend to not follow the popularity of something sometimes. on the linux aspect will that is one reason I like android.I am a fan of linux
grofet
im using old made in china cellphone that support java applications. i think it can't load frihost forum properly.
deanhills
Thanks for all of the useful tips. Looks like I have to watch out for size of screen and get Opera full version. Rest is up to research and probably comparing the total package of what I want with that what is available in the market, and then compare them with one another.

Would probably also be an idea to check out what our local Internet Provider has available, as they may be selling those too. Sort of would make sense, but have never really checked that out yet.
william
Posting this using the stock browser on an Android 2.3.7 device. I'm only doing this as a test, but it seems to be working fine. I'm actually quite surprised by how much quicker Frihost loads than vBulletin forums. Wink All the buttons here work fine for the most part. The only difficulty is the excess horizontal scrolling since this is a desktop page. Reading posts is a pretty enjoyable experience overall. I don't have an iPhone to test, but I can tell you this stock Gingerbread browser is a lot better at browsing Frihost than the stock BlackBerry and webOS browsers. Dolphin works fine as well, though I'm facing problems with Opera Mobile. Question The stock ICS browser and Chrome are better, but I don't have them on this phone.

Edit:
Ankhanu wrote:
Android's fine, but "iPhone is too expensive" is something of a fallacy when compared against similar quality Android phones...

Slightly off topic, but I do think the new Nexus 4 makes almost every other phone come off as expensive. It does, after all, have the most powerful specs on the market and is thereby easily comparable to the iPhone 5, GSIII, and One X. This actually might be a phone worth looking into, deanhills, especially if you're not buying a subsidized phone. The large screen and wide selection of browsers makes it a pretty nice choice for browsing Frihost.
cybersa
In my opinion:
Any Android mobile with QWERTY Keyboard is good for forum posting.

If you don't want to QWERTY keyboard means then you can go with any Android mobile with Opera mobile.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Looks like I have to watch out for size of screen and get Opera full version.

Opera isn't really required. I've found little difference in the performance of Opera, Safari, Chrome, Dolphin Browser, or other browsers I've used under iOS when posting to Frih... the main differences there have been with the overall interface and some options.

I find, no matter what option you go with, you're going to need to zoom to different levels for different activities. Posting, in particular, tends to zoom in close on the input box; I find you need to zoom out so that the whole box is in the display, and then entering text becomes somewhat easier, and the screen doesn't have to jump around so much while you type (and you can see what you've already typed to make sure your sentences are in agreement, etc.).

deanhills wrote:
Rest is up to research and probably comparing the total package of what I want with that what is available in the market, and then compare them with one another.

Basically.

deanhills wrote:
Would probably also be an idea to check out what our local Internet Provider has available, as they may be selling those too. Sort of would make sense, but have never really checked that out yet.

ISPs and cellular providers, even if the same company, are separated by device/service type. For example, my cellular provider is Bell, which is also an ISP, but their ISP and cellular services are completely separate, in terms of the services provided... Anything to do with the phone, you'd be dealing with the cellular division.

william wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
Android's fine, but "iPhone is too expensive" is something of a fallacy when compared against similar quality Android phones...

Slightly off topic, but I do think the new Nexus 4 makes almost every other phone come off as expensive. It does, after all, have the most powerful specs on the market and is thereby easily comparable to the iPhone 5, GSIII, and One X. This actually might be a phone worth looking into, deanhills, especially if you're not buying a subsidized phone. The large screen and wide selection of browsers makes it a pretty nice choice for browsing Frihost.

Exactly, William. If you're going to cite price as a reason to avoid iPhone, you also have to cite price as a reason to avoid good Android devices too.
I have a couple friends with the GSIII, and it's a gorgeous device with solid performance, definitely worth the same price bracket as the iPhone 5. Personally, I find its dimensions to be too large, but it is a pretty great bit of hardware. I feel I'll likely feel the same about the Nexus 4; great device, wrong for my hand.

Something to watch for with Android is update support. Android OS updates are released by Google to the Service Providers, then it's up to the Service Providers to release it for their supported devices. This means that there may be delays in getting OS updates for your phone, or, your provider may simply decide to not release an update for your phone at all... even if it's a new model.
I don't think you'll suffer much in this area if you get one of the current, high end, in-demand models (in the iPhone's price bracket), but if you choose something either a little older, or less popular, you may find yourself with a device that gets OS support dropped pretty quickly. My wife, for example, got a Motorola dExt when it was brand new, within the year, she was no longer able to update the OS and was stuck with an obsolete OS, meaning she couldn't update new app versions and many apps she wanted to use were not written to support the former OS version. It's a real danger with Android devices, and almost impossible to predict, unless you go with the expensive, popular models, probably.
Ankhanu
cybersa wrote:
In my opinion:
Any Android mobile with QWERTY Keyboard is good for forum posting.

The QWERTY requirement seemed so obvious that I completely overlooked it... Cybersa is completely right and it would have been terrible to not mention it at all!
Mr_Howl
Ankhanu wrote:

Something to watch for with Android is update support. Android OS updates are released by Google to the Service Providers, then it's up to the Service Providers to release it for their supported devices. This means that there may be delays in getting OS updates for your phone, or, your provider may simply decide to not release an update for your phone at all... even if it's a new model.
I don't think you'll suffer much in this area if you get one of the current, high end, in-demand models (in the iPhone's price bracket), but if you choose something either a little older, or less popular, you may find yourself with a device that gets OS support dropped pretty quickly. My wife, for example, got a Motorola dExt when it was brand new, within the year, she was no longer able to update the OS and was stuck with an obsolete OS, meaning she couldn't update new app versions and many apps she wanted to use were not written to support the former OS version. It's a real danger with Android devices, and almost impossible to predict, unless you go with the expensive, popular models, probably.

Yes, this is true. Verizon is holding back my Galaxy S3. Sad

If you want to be sure of updates, though, get a phone from the Google Nexus line--they are almost always the first to receive the newest version of Android. Google wants them to be "pure Android" with none of the usual carrier nonsense (of course, Verizon somehow got around that and their version of the Nexus is behind :\ ).
deanhills
william wrote:
I'll definitely have a look at Nexus too William, just not sure how available it is in the UAE. I did spot it in Montreal not sure where, could have been Future Shop. Wish I had a closer look at it then.

That's quite an awesome post thanks Ankhanu. Particularly the tips of how to use it when making Frihost posts.
darthrevan
Ankhanu wrote:

Opera isn't really required. I've found little difference in the performance of Opera, Safari, Chrome, Dolphin Browser, or other browsers I've used under iOS when posting to Frih... the main differences there have been with the overall interface and some options.

Opera may not be required, but I have tried Firefox mobile, couldn't try chromium on mine so I don't know about it and Several others and the best experience I have gotten is from Opera. I have set it to show mobile version and single column(which I like the best for viewing pages on my phone).
riteshk1
I will recommend you to go for android smart phones.