FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Need managing QoS on my network.

taytay
I've got a great one now! But i'm haivng one problem: Bandwith allocation. I'm in a rural area, and i'm a pretty techy guy. The slow internet alone is early killing me. What I'd like to do is be able to monitor my network live, and see where the activity is happening in my devices, and be able to control which devices get priority for bandwidth, and set limits on devices that use a lot that have a tendancy to drowned me out.

Am I sounding too complicated? To me sounds more like what a professional bussiness would have, to monitor 100+ people and keep track of security. Which is kind of what I'd like to do, but i'm just in a home... Any ideas? Even just the knowledge would help for future use.
Mr_Howl
I'm assuming you have a "regular" home network--i.e., a wireless router with devices and computers connected to it.

If that is the case, one thing you can look into is DD-WRT. It's a custom firmware that's compatible with many routers and gives you many more options and features. More Information Be warned, however--installing this firmware will almost certainly void your warranty and it may be possible to brick your router. List of Supported Devices

Anyway, it looks like DD-WRT has some QoS features that may be what you are looking for: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service
taytay
I had thought about that. My router isn't supported, but I don't mind buying a new one. Ill do that for sure... Thanks!