FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Frankenstorm Sandy

inoshi
Well,

Me and mine survived Sandy without a power outage, but the stats are staggering, still coming in . . .

Probably 5 million homes without power, lots of assessing happening right now.

Confused

Inoshi
darthrevan
Glad you're okay. I hate bad storms, maybe others will stay the same. I have heard around 60 deaths I think around the Caribbean(I believe) I haven't really looked and seen any stats on this on affecting the East coast.
inoshi
darthrevan wrote:
Glad you're okay. I hate bad storms, maybe others will stay the same. I have heard around 60 deaths I think around the Caribbean(I believe) I haven't really looked and seen any stats on this on affecting the East coast.

News is saying up to a few dozen deaths, maybe 5-7 in NY . . . Most of those were from falling trees or branches. Not sure about other areas and of course more reports coming in, as rescues and life threatening situations still exist.

Peace,

Inoshi
darthrevan
I know I have heard this storm is a once in a lifetime thing, it has kinda stumped some people of how bad it is/was. It has even caused weird things like caused Snow in Tennessee. One of my co-workers is taking a vacation in Tennessee and posted on Facebook that there is a chance of 6-12 inches of Snow Confused
Cosmoslayer
Oh, still remember the day that a powerful storm pass by at our place here in he Philippines. Coincidentally, the name of the storm was "Frank" Shocked
Just be safe guys!
deanhills
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Oh, still remember the day that a powerful storm pass by at our place here in he Philippines. Coincidentally, the name of the storm was "Frank" Shocked
Just be safe guys!
I like that name. Frank Storm! Good one. Laughing
inoshi
deanhills wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Just be safe guys!

Frankenstorm, is like Frankenstein, the monster. So, a monster storm.

Applause

Inoshi
Mr_Howl
Didn't hit here nearly as hard as expected (Western Massachusetts). Same thing happened last year. Apparently where I live is immune to hurricanes.

I've been looking at pictures from New York, though, and some of them are pretty crazy.
standready
I live near Chicago. We are feeling far reaching the effects of 'Sandy' with high winds (gust up to 60 mph) and Lake Michigan has 18-25 feet high waves washing up on the Indiana shores. Some rain expect from 'Sandy' tonight. High winds started yesterday here before 'Sandy' had even made landfall on the east coast!
Rains, storm surge, high winds and snow out of one big storm! Still my heart goes out to all those affected by this storm.
johans
inoshi wrote:
Well,

Me and mine survived Sandy without a power outage, but the stats are staggering, still coming in . . .

Probably 5 million homes without power, lots of assessing happening right now.

Confused

Inoshi

keep safe guys..

I have seen on the news that Hurricane Sandy brings strong winds and most of the main land dont have power..
zimmer
inoshi wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:
Just be safe guys!

Frankenstorm, is like Frankenstein, the monster. So, a monster storm.

Applause

Inoshi

truelly indeed a frankenstorm since it is halloween time Twisted Evil
Josso
REALLY glad we don't have weather like this, condolences.
TheLimey
I live in Peterborough, ON Canada and we were on the news as one of the highest hit places. However, all we got was heavy rain and hard wind. However not much damage at all. My recycling was still in place.
deanhills
TheLimey wrote:
I live in Peterborough, ON Canada and we were on the news as one of the highest hit places. However, all we got was heavy rain and hard wind. However not much damage at all. My recycling was still in place.
So what was responsible for the inaccurate news reporting? Shocked
taytay
inoshi wrote:

News is saying up to a few dozen deaths, maybe 5-7 in NY . . . Most of those were from falling trees or branches. ...

That would be an awful way to go.... especially if there were flooding... ak!
deanhills
Wow, it's pretty bad. Death toll reports are pretty conflicting. This one is more conservative - Source: CNN 30 Oct
Quote:
The U.S. death toll from Superstorm Sandy has risen to 30, with a death just reported in North Carolina.

The toll includes 15 in New York; three in New Jersey; three in Pennsylvania; two in Maryland; two in Connecticut; two in Virginia, one in West Virginia, one in North Carolina, and one on the HMS Bounty.

One person was killed in Canada, and 67 were killed in the Caribbean, including 51 in Haiti. The overall death toll stands at 98.

Reuters Fact Box
taytay
deanhills wrote:

Hey mom! Our boat arrived in the mail today!
BigGeek
taytay wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Hey mom! Our boat arrived in the mail today!

I know that it was a disaster and people lost their lives and for that I'm sorry Sad

BUT deanhills, that is FUNNY Laughing
bukaida
The death toll rise to 39 so far and one of the worst disasters in American history.
c'tair
It was pretty OK for me, although I did feel the house shake and I was worried for roof.

Thing that has me really mad is that my college wasn't prepared to face this storm. It lies just by the river and the building is pretty defensible (my mind always analyzes a place where Im at if it's easy to defend from zombies, etc.) and could've been saved with a bunch of sandbags but nope, easier to cross your finger and hope the water doesn't rise... DOH! Well I guess, placing all the computer labs in the basement wasn't the best of ideas.

There's rumors that in order to make up for the lost days, they might extend our semester. Well, I'm gonna have to talk with my professors because I'd rather test out than flake out on my other (LIFE) obligations then to go to classes which I can study at home.

/rant
RosenCruz
Such a huge disaster. I hope people affected can heal their wounds soon. Crying or Very sad
deanhills
[quote="BigGeek"]
taytay wrote:
deanhills wrote:

BUT deanhills, that is FUNNY Laughing
Right. Sort of a crash landing of sorts. Laughing

Seriously though, while I was going through the Web reports, I found so many hoax photos that have been posted. Also, the news reports varied, like not by one or two deaths, but maybe 10. We'll probably get more accurate facts with the monthly magazines like Time Magazine eventually. For now everything is probably a bit in chaos.

Wonder whether the Insurance companies are going to survive this too? I have a feeling this storm is going to be quite a challenge to survive over and above the physical damage everywhere.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether the Insurance companies are going to survive this too? I have a feeling this storm is going to be quite a challenge to survive over and above the physical damage everywhere.

Don't worry about the Insurance companies; they'll make damn sure their incoming is greater than their outgoing. They have loophole after loophole to make sure they pay out as infrequently as possible with as little money as possible... but they will have a heavy workload in the upcoming months/years.
coolclay
Who ever thought putting the largest cities right next to one of the most powerful forces on planet Earth (the Ocean) was pure genius (for population control anyway).

We might as well get used to the force and frequency of dangerous weather patterns increasing now and into the future. Sort of like the painful groans of the Earth as we continue to destroy her.

Wait until the Gulf stream finishes completely breaking down, and Europe goes into a deep freeze!

But yea a lot of my friends and family are still out of electricity but other than that all is well.
darthrevan
Wow, some of the pictures posted here is crazy. The one with all the sand reminds me of a dessert but with houses. The damage is just awful Confused
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
We might as well get used to the force and frequency of dangerous weather patterns increasing now and into the future. Sort of like the painful groans of the Earth as we continue to destroy her.

Wait until the Gulf stream finishes completely breaking down, and Europe goes into a deep freeze!
Both of the above have been in my mind frequently, but was unaware that the bottom one was fact though. There was that movie once - think it was called "The Day after Tomorrow", but thought that was pure fiction even though I'd been completely fascinated with it. Is your paragraph about the Gulf stream true and is there any literature available on it?
Smile
coolclay
Yep, statistically significant decline in the flow of the gulf stream. The Gulf stream gets most of it's power from the thermo-haline (heat and salt) circulation. Freshwater has less mass than salt water, and warm water is less dense than cold water. This process is what creates the Gulf stream, but as the glaciers introduce more freshwater in the north, and the water is warming more at the equator it is shifting the fine balance that keeps this system working. Of course the increase of CO2 which is warming the planet and melting glaciers has nothing to do with humans of course Rolling Eyes . Here are some good articles on the subject http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v490/n7421/abs/nature11528.html http://search.proquest.com.libezp.lib.lsu.edu/docview/861433784/fulltextPDF/13A24A6D87547718F8E/2?accountid=12154 Not sure if they will work for everyone.

No one really knows what exactly will happen (even with complex supercomputer models), and since it is impossible to link day to day, year to year temperature differences, and/or major catastrophes to climate change the majority will continue on there merry way.
deanhills
Thanks for the articles Coolclay. The first one explains it just the way it was in the movie. So looks as though there was at least a factual basis to the movie. The second one I couldn't access on the link provided as it requires me to sign in. But that's OK, think the one I could access explains it very well and I can do further searches on that one if necessary.
darthrevan
I have heard, might be mispelled,staton island is ground zero and death toll was around sixty eight I believe.
RosenCruz
Hope this won't cause Romney to win. It would be the worst disaster after Bush Confused
Peterssidan
I just heard that they have cancelled the New York Marathon. Well, I guess most New Yorkers have other things to think about, but not so fun for all the contestants who has travelled far.

RosenCruz wrote:
Hope this won't cause Romney to win. It would be the worst disaster after Bush Confused

From what I have heard the disaster is good for Obama.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
I just heard that they have cancelled the New York Marathon. Well, I guess most New Yorkers have other things to think about, but not so fun for all the contestants who has travelled far.

RosenCruz wrote:

From what I have heard the disaster is good for Obama.
It certainly appeared that way. Compare it with the Gulf Oil Spill disaster of two years ago, and how slow he was to visit it, compared with how fast he made his way to New York, not a second of hesitation there. Twisted Evil