FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Questions from a VPS Newbie

RosenCruz
Hello guys,

I ve recently purchased a VPS to try some stuff out. It includes one IP and no control panel. I am planning to install Webmin or Kloxo.

Now I have some questions, hopefully I can find some answers.

1. My VPS has only one IP (94.xx.xxx.xx) . How can I use and attach www.exampledomain.com with my VPS and IP? The VPS hostname is main.exampledomain.com.

The domain www.exampledomain.com is registered on GoDaddy. I guess I can not create custom nameservers with only one IP. What do you recommend?

Regards, thanks in advance Wink
honken
Hello RosenCruz.

Normally when you get a VPS you dont get a panel, except maybe a panel for resetting/backup and stuff like that.

Well anyway, im guessing you got a Linux based VPS, this do not mean that its impossible Smile

You can do it at least 2 ways at this point (perhaps more, but i know two easy ways).

1. I think Godaddy has a free dns option (they host the dns, you point the domain). Then point domain.com www.domain.com main.domain.com to your 94.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address (CNAME-records should be good enough).

2. setup BIND9 or equal DNS server software on your VPS. Some carriers demand 2 dns servers, but you can do it with one (sometimes). But if Godaddy demands 2 dns servers to point the domain you can either see if someone is running a domain server, and ask that person if they could run your domain as a slave for you. I also think it works just to add a misc secondary dns (a fake one) and the primary (real one), this might work not so good all the time, so its recommended that you get at least 2 dns servers (you setup one, and a friend or someone helpful sets up a slave for your domain).

I hope it works out for you.

Good luck!
RosenCruz
honken wrote:
Hello RosenCruz.

Normally when you get a VPS you dont get a panel, except maybe a panel for resetting/backup and stuff like that.

Well anyway, im guessing you got a Linux based VPS, this do not mean that its impossible Smile

You can do it at least 2 ways at this point (perhaps more, but i know two easy ways).

1. I think Godaddy has a free dns option (they host the dns, you point the domain). Then point domain.com www.domain.com main.domain.com to your 94.xxx.xxx.xxx ip address (CNAME-records should be good enough).

2. setup BIND9 or equal DNS server software on your VPS. Some carriers demand 2 dns servers, but you can do it with one (sometimes). But if Godaddy demands 2 dns servers to point the domain you can either see if someone is running a domain server, and ask that person if they could run your domain as a slave for you. I also think it works just to add a misc secondary dns (a fake one) and the primary (real one), this might work not so good all the time, so its recommended that you get at least 2 dns servers (you setup one, and a friend or someone helpful sets up a slave for your domain).

I hope it works out for you.

Good luck!

Thanks for taking time and answering. Yes I have a Linux VPS that I wanna try things out on. If I succeed, I m planning on to keep it and pay annually.

I ve read the tutorial here,

Code:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/124261/how-can-i-host-a-domain-website-on-my-new-vps

similar to what you ve said I guess and at the moment www.mydomain.com points to default apache page of my VPS. I edited A records for Host options at Godaddy DNS Management panel.

I ve installed Webmin on the VPS (actually provider did it) right now I m hanging inside it and checking options and stuff. I hope to make it work.

Thanks for the help again Wink
honken
Hi.

Very nice tutorial in the link there.
Covers a lot of stuff that are useful, but dont worry if you mess something up.
With linux (and other OS) and also when they are in a VPS environment its fairly easy to reset the VPS and start over.

If you are not used to working in terminal and installing what you need, its a trail and error time ahead.
But normally you would remember what to do, and what not to do Smile

Also in Debian/Ubuntu (since Ubuntu is based on Debian you have the same nice command).

apt-get remove application_name - removes the application, but leaves like config files.
apt-get remove application_name --purge - removes the application and also the config files.

Note: in the past the --purge command for me has removed dependency packages also.

Best of luck to you!

/honken
RosenCruz
Thanks Honken,

But the problem still seems to be alive. At least with the subdomains.

Now mydomain.com is actually working. But subdomains like

Code:
sub.mydomains.com
are not working. I do not know what to do. I guess there are still parts I have to edit at Godaddy DNS management panel.

Lots of stuff to learn here. I ve always been on shared hosting before Sad

And yes it takes like 5 minutes to reinstall the whole VPS. Laughing Cool. I tried Webmin, did not like it. Now I ve reinstalled Cent OS 5 with Kloxo Panel Rolling Eyes

If I get e mail and subdomains working, it will be cool Shocked
RosenCruz
Guys I managed to get my main domain working.

Code:
http://www.seriforum.info

Now I need subdomains and mail under it to work as well.

I want
Code:
*.seriforum.info
and *@seriforum.info mail addresses to work as well.

Where I should edit on GoDaddy DNS management panel? Any help would really be appreciated since I m stuck here, really Crying or Very sad

INFO:

Code:
VPS IP 94.242.219.68

VPS hostname : name.seriforum.info

Below are some screenshots. Pls help Sad What should I type into those boxes ????
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

honken
Hey again.

If you want to have many different subdomains you need to do 2 things.

1. point all the sub domains to your VPS ip

HOST POINTS TO
sub1 IP
sub2 IP
sub3 IP
etc...

I think you dont need to use the hole domain (eg: sub1.domain.com), i think godaddys dns tools knows how to add the rest.

Regarding the *.domain.com entry, you need to check with godaddy if the support wildcard entry to CNAME (i would suspect they dont).

2. To use the subdomains in your webserver later you need to configure v-host in apache.

eg. you might want to have "img.domain.com", "secure.domain.com" etc, then you need to create a v-host file for each of these sub domains, if not they will point to the default folder in apache.

lets say your www root is in /var/www/htdocs (this is your default www-root), then this is where you might want to have www.domain.com and domain.com to point at, this is in the default.conf in apache.

But if you dont do any setup even img.domain.com will land you in /var/www/htdocs and to fix this you need to create a new config file for apache, that specify that if-url-img.domain.com-then-use-this-folder. eg /var/www/img.domain.com/ (naming of the folder is up to you).

And you need to do this for every subdomain you point to your VPS that you do not want to point to /var/www/htdocs.

A setup i use when setting up a webserver with one or more domains is to to my folders like this (and i like to use /home).

/home/www/
--> domain/
---> www/ (in this folder i keep all stuff for "www.domain.com and domain.com"
---> img/ (img folder if i want to separate it)
---> blog/ (if i run a blog)
--> domain2/
---> www/
---> img/
---> blog/

this is for me a easy way to sort domains in a webserver for me, but some people might like it in another way.

PS: If you set it up using like terminal, then you need to think about symlinking folders for cgi-bin if you want to run cgi scripts and stuff like that. If you use a CP i think it will create it all for you.

Cheers
honken
RosenCruz
Honken, thanks for taking time and replying again.

I use Kloxo panel and it creates the subdomains and related folders in the server automatically for me, as you said.

----------------------------

GoDaddy support told me how to set up Wilcard DNS for my domains.

Quote:

Next to Domains, click Launch.

From the Tools menu, select DNS Manager.

Click Edit Zone for the domаin nаme you wаnt tо updatе. The Ζone File Editor displays.

Click Add New Record. The Add DNS Record window displays.

From the Record type list, select A (Host).

Complete the following fields:

Host Name Type *.

Points to IP Address Enter the ІP аddress уоur domaіn name uѕes for this host record. For example, you can enter the same IP address you have for the @ record.

I did as they said. I hope all is working fine now.

Code:
test.seriforum.info
seems to be working now. I will try and see if others work too.

Finally, would someone help with mail stuff? Where should I edit on GoDaddy DNS manager to set up mail on my server.

Again, my server IP is
Code:
and my VPS hostname is

Code:
name.seriforum.info
honken
Indeed.

Seems like your wildcard is working now, tryied like ahahahhahahahah.domain.com and got to your kloxo panel Smile
RosenCruz
honken wrote:
Indeed.

Seems like your wildcard is working now, tryied like ahahahhahahahah.domain.com and got to your kloxo panel Smile

Ah yes, GoDaddy support helped me a lot and you (THANKS) and webmail and subdomains are working fine now. Thanks. This thread can stay here for people who needs similar help Rolling Eyes