FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dirty Harry of the Philippines

nickfyoung
I recently came across the 'Times' article about the mayor of Davao City, Philippines.
It really is an extraordinary story of one man who converted one of the most lawless cities in the Philippines into the safest city in the Philippines.
He is known as the punisher and some disprove of his tactics which some say include execution style killings of petty criminals.

Whatever way you look at it the results speak for themselves. The amazing story is in Times magazine on the link below.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,265480-1,00.html
deanhills
I'm always suspicious when so much credit goes to one man only, when obviously there must have been many other Government officials, and law enforcers who were working shoulder to shoulder with him on this. Sort of team work, rather than all of the accolades going to the Mayor only.
nickfyoung
deanhills wrote:
I'm always suspicious when so much credit goes to one man only, when obviously there must have been many other Government officials, and law enforcers who were working shoulder to shoulder with him on this. Sort of team work, rather than all of the accolades going to the Mayor only.

You are right as it would have involved the police force and many others. However, I think it took a man like Duterte to inspire them to change. Davao was so lawless the police would probably keep out of sight most of the time.

Did you read the article. Right at the start of his being mayor he was personally involved in a shoot out putting his own life on the line. It is probably that type of leadership that got people behind him and doing the job.
darthrevan
Maybe we need him here in America since the crime rate keeps going up since our economy is failing. Which of course it ostensibly expected that when he economy goes down, crime goes up.
nickfyoung
darthrevan wrote:
Maybe we need him here in America since the crime rate keeps going up since our economy is failing. Which of course it ostensibly expected that when he economy goes down, crime goes up.

Still gotta eat.

Some of the other Philippine cities are trying to follow his example. Davao now is regularly listed in the top ten most livable cities in Asia.
darthrevan
People may need to eat, but I work at Walmart, they don't steal just food as a need. They steal things they also don't need, and stupid things as well.
nickfyoung
darthrevan wrote:
People may need to eat, but I work at Walmart, they don't steal just food as a need. They steal things they also don't need, and stupid things as well.

It's pretty annoying. My wife has a little shop and you have to be watching them all the time.

It almost seems as they see it as a right because you are the rich class just because you have a shop.
deanhills
darthrevan wrote:
Wonderful idea. He'd be an excellent candidate considering the present pickings. Twisted Evil

Would be interesting to see him taking the Russian and Mafia Mobs, guns blazing.
nickfyoung
deanhills wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
Wonderful idea. He'd be an excellent candidate considering the present pickings. Twisted Evil

Would be interesting to see him taking the Russian and Mafia Mobs, guns blazing.

He has the experience to do that. The 'mobs' he took on in Davao included Chinese mobs and their drug labs as well as local terrorist groups in the Moro Liberation Front and National Peoples Army, communists I think. The Muslim group went on a rampage last year and burned down several villages and destroyed crops and farm animals and put hundreds out of home. That was central Mindanao and nowhere near Davao.
This guy is getting close to 70 now and still patrols late at night on a motorcycle packing a side arm.
zimmer
nickfyoung wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

Still gotta eat.

Some of the other Philippine cities are trying to follow his example. Davao now is regularly listed in the top ten most livable cities in Asia.

Davao is well maintained Cities. I travel a lot in Davao City area and i walk at night and i have never seen or experience fighting in the area.. Well, I am not saying its perfect but it is manage well.
darthrevan
nickfyoung wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

It's pretty annoying. My wife has a little shop and you have to be watching them all the time.

It almost seems as they see it as a right because you are the rich class just because you have a shop.

The only way people will possibly stop stealing food is if there are scary consequences to happen to thieves and maybe they should grow a garden and hunt for food.
nickfyoung
darthrevan wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

The only way people will possibly stop stealing food is if there are scary consequences to happen to thieves and maybe they should grow a garden and hunt for food.

I remember once the mayor of Davao did that. He commandeered all the vacant blocks of land in the city that weren't being used and allowed the people to grow vegetables on them. Don't know how it turned out.
darthrevan
I wouldn't mind fishing for my food, though I have never hunted food though. Guess if I had to learn, I would probably give it a try, though not sure where around me I would find many dear or so.
nickfyoung
darthrevan wrote:
I wouldn't mind fishing for my food, though I have never hunted food though. Guess if I had to learn, I would probably give it a try, though not sure where around me I would find many dear or so.

Time could come when we will be forced to do that especially if these GMO crops wipe out our vegetable industry.
deanhills
I'm worried with how we are polluting the oceans that maybe we won't be able to fish the traditional way. We may have to grow out own fish on fish farms.
nickfyoung
deanhills wrote:
I'm worried with how we are polluting the oceans that maybe we won't be able to fish the traditional way. We may have to grow out own fish on fish farms.

When we move to the Philippines we are hoping to set up an aquaponics system where we have fish in a tank with their polluted water traveling through growing trays for vegetables and back to the fish tank some what cleaned.

Seems to work well.
deanhills
nickfyoung wrote:
deanhills wrote:

When we move to the Philippines we are hoping to set up an aquaponics system where we have fish in a tank with their polluted water traveling through growing trays for vegetables and back to the fish tank some what cleaned.

Seems to work well.
Aha .... is that what it is called, aquaponics system. Great idea. Looks as though you have plans to be completely independent food wise?
nickfyoung
deanhills wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Seems to work well.
Aha .... is that what it is called, aquaponics system. Great idea. Looks as though you have plans to be completely independent food wise?

Don't like the idea of some of the local fish as much of it is grown in huge ponds and fed on pig manure.

Because the blocks of land in the city are very small there we have decided to build the ground floor all commercial taking up the whole block and have a restaurant there.
Upstairs on the 2nd floor will be our house with a roof garden above that. The roof garden will have a steel trussed roof covered in fiberglass roofing and the sides open.
That will be our main living area with a pool and BBQ area and our aquaponics system.
Hopefully it will be a bit cooler up there and a comfortable place to spend time.
darthrevan
I know I would trust eating the fish raw, if I had to, than eating other meat raw. I guess maybe because you hear more bacteria being in beef, chicken, and pork. I will eat my beef with a little red but not bloody, now chicken and pork has to be cooked well before I even touch it.
nickfyoung
darthrevan wrote:
I know I would trust eating the fish raw, if I had to, than eating other meat raw. I guess maybe because you hear more bacteria being in beef, chicken, and pork. I will eat my beef with a little red but not bloody, now chicken and pork has to be cooked well before I even touch it.

Hard to get a good steak over there. Live cattle are imported from Australia and fattened up on stuff like pineapple tops.
Hopefully that will change soon as the Australian steak house franchise, Hogs Breath Cafe, has just opened in Davao in a new mall.
nickfyoung
Our mayor is in trouble again. He has offered a reward of P5M for the head of a famous criminal. Bring to me the head on ice and I will pay you the reward.

The human rights people are calling it barbaric but Duterte is standing by his reward.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/local-news/2012/10/29/duterte-human-rights-commission-head-show-me-law-i-violated-250305