FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

domain name switching for server backup

rx9876
I'm using another web-hosting for my web-service,
because it's response time is faster.

Response time
That server - Max :5,692 | Min :108 | Avg :152
frihost server - Max :32,613 | Min :332 | Avg :675

This month that server crash 3 times, total 8 hours.
Yesterday when they restore web-service and dns server,
it seems they forgot to restore mysql server until I found that and report to them.

I was thinking how to make a switching.

When I was on job, I can access websites on port 80 only,
so I can not login control panel with port 2222.
My plan is to set the domain pointer to the same domain name on these two server,
and switch the DNS Alias (CNAME) to frihost when that server crash.

Will this method occur any problems?
Will people go to frihost even the cname is point to that server?

It's a manual backup and it requires daily data synchronization manually,
but that is the only way came to my mind.

Please let me know your opinions.
Thanks.
honken
Ok.

I think i know what you mean.

And its load balancing the DNS server, found something here that i think what you are after.

http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2.01/group8/DNS.html

I don΄t know where and what kind of access you have to your domain, but this you need to figure out first, or check with the DNS hosting company.

Did i get your question correct? and did this answer your question?

/Honken
rx9876
honken wrote:

Did i get your question correct? and did this answer your question?

Genius!
The 'Backup Server via Redirected Secondary DNS' part of the page is what I want.
I have some keywords to google how to implement it now.
Thanks.
honken
Im glad it helped you, and gave you the things you need to fix your domain Smile

If there is anything more you need help with, just ask, if i have an idea i will share it.

/honken
RosenCruz
I may actually use this too. Thanks for the info. A back up server could be handy.
rx9876
RosenCruz wrote:
I may actually use this too. Thanks for the info. A back up server could be handy.

What service provider or how do you implement this?

The service I found on internet was so expensive.
'Backup Server via Redirected Secondary DNS' cost 30~50 USD per year.

I use www.site24x7.com to monitor server availibity, it checks ervery 10 mins and with some good reports.
It checks targets from 3 sites to confirm server down, and that reduced many false alarms.

When I receive the server down email notice, I change the dns CNAME to another.
That's manual operation, and I guess that's the only procedure when I use only free services.
RosenCruz
rx9876 wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

What service provider or how do you implement this?

The service I found on internet was so expensive.
'Backup Server via Redirected Secondary DNS' cost 30~50 USD per year.

I use www.site24x7.com to monitor server availibity, it checks ervery 10 mins and with some good reports.
It checks targets from 3 sites to confirm server down, and that reduced many false alarms.

When I receive the server down email notice, I change the dns CNAME to another.
That's manual operation, and I guess that's the only procedure when I use only free services.

Instead of back up DNS, may be scripts we use can be configured to run on different servers ? I will search for this too. Looks like back up DNS is kind of expensive. But if you are running a business and serious about it on your web site, 30-50 $ / year should not be that much
honken
FYI i emailed the company where i buy my domains from (joker.com) and checked with them, because i felt i wanted to know.

I explained to them according to the link with the Round Robin information and multiple IN A records to different IPs.

They confirmed to me that they do support this for free, so thats nice i guess. Im safe if i need to do this at a later date Smile

Cheers, honken
Now time to go down to the bars and play some pool (sorry, i dont drink alcohol anymore, but a coke or 5 will go down) Smile

Have a good afternoon/night people.

EDIT: I think joker.com is not alone on this, but its very nice they support this feature without demanding extra pay.
rx9876
RosenCruz wrote:

Instead of back up DNS, may be scripts we use can be configured to run on different servers ? I will search for this too. Looks like back up DNS is kind of expensive. But if you are running a business and serious about it on your web site, 30-50 $ / year should not be that much

I'm not a business man.
I just ran a website which provide free service to mmo players to query data.
Even the data was input manually by me everyday when there are new one.

However the users are 7x24 according to website log, if the server down, they will complain.
I'm just trying to provide a better quality free service for them.
RosenCruz
rx9876 wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

I'm not a business man.
I just ran a website which provide free service to mmo players to query data.
Even the data was input manually by me everyday when there are new one.

However the users are 7x24 according to website log, if the server down, they will complain.
I'm just trying to provide a better quality free service for them.

I see. You can also use Cloud Flare, I guess if you want your site to be online at all times.
rx9876
RosenCruz wrote:

I see. You can also use Cloud Flare, I guess if you want your site to be online at all times.

Cloud Flare can only be used on TLD, and I'm using a free sub-domain.

Cloud Flare will cache static pages on its server, but my sites presents contents according to user input query criteria, so it will not benefit from its cache.

If you're try to clustering your service, cloud flare or round robin dns might help you.

Load-balancing is very hard to implement when the front-end server is not your own, since the loading of the back-end servers are not revealed to the front-end.

Thanks.