FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

For everyone with their eyes shut: Get a MAC

Mac or Windows?
Windows
38%
 38%  [ 10 ]
Mac (Europe)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mac (US)
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
Mac (other)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
LINUX
34%
 34%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 26

jasperlevink
Hello folks!

I used Windows for all my live (well, at least allmost). But last week my girlfriend buyed her first Apple iBook (with MS Office 2004). It works great! If I had the money I'd dump all my pc's and buy apples instead!

It works fluently, fast and not any error accured so far! It looks great!
Just wanted to dump my opinion!

Grtz.
Jasper
gonzo
how much freeware is there out there compared to windows freeware?
jasperlevink
not as much as for windows indeed. But check for instance www.downloads.com and search for software for MAC OS X! It still yields a lot of results!
Kd527
I use a Mac and I have not run into any issues about not finding software for it. I even play games on it! It's awesome. So much better than windoze
Helios
Sun Solaris and FreeBSD kick your arse =D
Donutey
is it worth the almost non-upgradability, higher price, and lower specs?
i used a mac briefly in a programming class ( all the pc labs were taken ) and it still freezes, and has file errors, and the fact that macs don't play well with pc's on a network makes 'em less appealling...

however, macs do offer some things, one of them being a small(er) software market... it may seem like a disadvantage, but with a mac its not (as) complicated to find out which program you want to do what you want... and you don't have to sort thru all the bad programs first...

macs are two things, pretty all in one solutions, and an easy to maintain *nix box..., i would never buy them simply because of their cost... i can buy a complete pc system for the same price as a minimac... or i can build a top of the line system for price of a middle of the line mac...

apple would do good if they offered OS X as a powerpc/x86 solution ( ie it could be run on upcoming powerpc based consoles, and ANY x86 system)
gonzo
Donutey wrote:
is it worth the almost non-upgradability

no

Quote:
the fact that macs don't play well with pc's on a network makes 'em less appealling...

what a pleasant way of saying UNENDING NIGHTMARE
Wink

Quote:
x86 solution

x86 is such a kludge. it's time to design a non-suck foundation for new cores. This inane attachment to backwards compatability has got to end. I don't care that Bobby's six year old computer can't run the latest this or that. Tough bananas for Bobby. Buy better gear.

ARG
Kd527
There is plenty of upgradability in a Mac. It's not that hard to find both software and hardware upgrades. The price is not too high considering what your getting. The specs are not any lower than a PC. In fact they run much better. the PowerPC CPU GHz is measured differently than an Intel.
SunburnedCactus
Kd527 wrote:
the PowerPC CPU GHz is measured differently than an Intel.

The next Apple CPU will be made by Intel.
Donutey
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Kd527 wrote:
the PowerPC CPU GHz is measured differently than an Intel.

The next Apple CPU will be made by Intel.

yea... for computing power and mhz per watt... kind of ironic...

and for the upgradability... well... search google for apple motherboard or powerpc motherboard and see what you get... the switch from powerpc to x86 is probably more economic than performance based (though, see above)

and out of curiosity, anyone whos around a mac a lot... do you have any sort of BIOS(type) options... such as memory timings and so forth or is it all locked?
Donutey
gonzo wrote:
Donutey wrote:
is it worth the almost non-upgradability

no

Quote:
the fact that macs don't play well with pc's on a network makes 'em less appealling...

what a pleasant way of saying UNENDING NIGHTMARE
Wink

Quote:
x86 solution

x86 is such a kludge. ...

ARG

unending nightmare... lol
and the backwards compatibility is ridiculous, a modern 64bit intel chip still offers support for 8bit OS's... even though none still exist...
ck88
Why is it that always MAC user or converts have to start the "What is the better OS" discussion. Must be an inferiority complex. I have to go with the BSD and UNIX/Linux posts. But oh, isn't MacOS based on UINX. Get what you want and be happy with it but stop these sensless discussions. Ther will never be a final answer...
riv
ck88 wrote:
Why is it that always MAC user or converts have to start the "What is the better OS" discussion. Must be an inferiority complex. I have to go with the BSD and UNIX/Linux posts. But oh, isn't MacOS based on UINX. Get what you want and be happy with it but stop these sensless discussions. Ther will never be a final answer...

Quite right, the discussions would never end.

And we mac users have to start the "Which is a better OS" threads because we love macs so much. Which comes to prove that we are very loyal to the mac, and we wouldn't love it and be so loyal to it, and get everybody to use a mac if the OS sucked.

And the software guy, there are plenty of software choices for the Mac. All those "lots of sotfware" you're talking about has lots of software doing the same/similar thing.

As for the BIOS guy, no, there isn't a BIOS for the mac, or all the UNIX systems... At least I don't know of one... Correct me if I'm wrong. Although there is always the command line... I'm sure you can do anything you can do in the bios at the command line...

And the people saying that macs are a nightmare to connect to pc's and that it's really slow and sluggish, you must mean the oppisite of all of that. PC's are a nightmare to configure to connect to macs, and the mac is quite fast. You could very easily connect macs to other macs with the AppleTalk technology, but the pc's make it hard to connect to them. One more thing on the mac's "being slow", how do you know that you were working on a recent machine? As I will admit that I didn't really like Mac OS 9 and some low-end machines such as the eMac are pretty slow, but cheaper.
Goatmonkey
Mac's are great and I just got my first last year. I had always been a windoze user and knew nothing of the paradise beyond. But a good friend of mine was patient enough with me to tell what I needed to know and to help me pick out my iBook. Now that I have my mac I will never go back. In fact I am lokking at a Power Mac Quad as my next computer.
Animal
I still don't understand why there are all these heated Windows / Mac / Linux debates all the time.

If you like Macs, get a Mac. If you like Windows, use a PC. If you like to tinker, use Linux.

Nobody seems to appreciate the saying "each to their own"
Rocky3478
^
|
|
|

What he said. Everyone has a difference of opinion, so accept that.
Dino
I like Linux how anyone on this world doesn`t like
riv
Dino wrote:
I like Linux how anyone on this world doesn`t like

Well, not everyone is willing to get up to their neck in the command line. It's ease of use these days, and come on, some people can't download a distro, let alone attempting to install it. So no, not everyone would like it, and who says that you are the only one who likes using Linux? There are a lot of people who are technically inclined, and loves to tinker using Linux.
Animal
riv wrote:
Well, not everyone is willing to get up to their neck in the command line.

That's true. I use Windows XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on a Dual-Boot machine, and for day to day browsing and email, both systems are exactly the same in terms of usability, and I really like the idea of using Linux - there's much less threat of hackers and viruses and other exploits.

When you get into filesystems etc, inexperienced users will almost always find Windows easier to use. I don't like the idea of being a slave to Microsoft, but I find the OS easier to navigate ( Embarassed ).

However, what I love about Linux is using the command line for installation. For example, if you want to install a new program, let's say Firefox, all you have to do is open the command prompt and type "apt-get install firefox" and that's it! You don't need to mess about with finding the site, searching for the Linux version that's compatible with your distro etc, and from that point of view, Linux is superior to Windows.
Srs2388
I really am going to buy a MAC soon because I want something that will not crash as often that runs smoother
and that I can use it for my music (exaple reocrding studio)
I can rely on that