FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Smartphone screen size





Tony The Tiger
I am noticing that the Samsung Galaxy III is becoming very popular even though its screen is so much larger than most other smartphones. I believe that the iPhone's screen size was increased to the limit of one-handed thumbability for most people and beyond the limit for many. Do most people feel comfortable with smartphones with screens so large that two hands are required to operate them? What direction are smartphone screens headed. I am working with a BlackBerry Torch 9810 and I feel pretty comfortable with its small screen. I can work the whole thing with one hand when necessary. Is this smartphone design going to be a thing of the past?
cybersa
Most of the people like to operate in one hand.
But also they want some big screen to watch good videos.
darthrevan
My phone is the Samsung galaxy proclaim or aka Samsung illusion. I wish my screen was bigger due to it is sometimes hard to type on here. Atleast it is kinda annoying to do so.
william
I don't have much difficulty operating a Galaxy Nexus with one hand, which is only slightly smaller than a Galaxy SIII. A little shifting is required, but I got used to it pretty quickly. A Galaxy Note, I imagine, would require me to use two hands, but that said, I still would like to own one. I'm all for larger screen sizes so long as the phone doesn't get so large that it becomes uncomfortable to carry in a pocket. And also, with the rapid decrease in phones using physical keyboards, a large screen comes in very handy. On Android, try out SwiftKey on a 4.5"+ screen. It's a blessing, to say the least, and I'd say almost as good as using a physical keyboard. When you consider that more people seem to be texting and emailing rather than calling and that phones are used as multimedia and internet devices, a larger screen makes sense. I personally find the screen on the iPhone 5 quite small, especially because they simply made it longer, not wider, than the 4S. Don't think I'd want a phone much larger than a Galaxy Note II, but something like the SIII seems perfect.
coolclay
I thought smaller was always better. That was always the goal with new cell phone technologies, we went from having "the brick" to something that could fit into your pocket. Now it appears we are back to the brick (Iphone and such). I'll stick with my 2000 era pay-per-minute phone thank you very much. It's small not even noticeable in my pocket, makes good quality calls and even has speaker phone. That is all I want and need from a phone. I barely even use it anyway, when I am home I use my home phone, and when I am in my office I use my office phone. Only when I go on trips and such do I use my cell phone.

I spend about $50-100/ year making phone calls (home and cell combined).
blueray
I do like the big screen of Samsung Galaxy III than IPhone 5 it is.
The mobile phone was now provide much more information than the one. A suitable screen size are required for more easily to access the information provided.
ZeytinGrafik
I like my phone 4.3"+ . I watch movies, play games and i have big hands. I'm using a HTC HD2 with android 4.0.3 installed. I'm planning to get a galaxy s3.
darthrevan
blueray wrote:
I do like the big screen of Samsung Galaxy III than IPhone 5 it is.
The mobile phone was now provide much more information than the one. A suitable screen size are required for more easily to access the information provided.


I definitely agree, a decent size screen is a must, especially if you use to to browse the Internet with when you aren't at home with a computer.
Tony The Tiger
coolclay wrote:
I thought smaller was always better. That was always the goal with new cell phone technologies, we went from having "the brick" to something that could fit into your pocket. Now it appears we are back to the brick (Iphone and such). I'll stick with my 2000 era pay-per-minute phone thank you very much. It's small not even noticeable in my pocket, makes good quality calls and even has speaker phone. That is all I want and need from a phone. I barely even use it anyway, when I am home I use my home phone, and when I am in my office I use my office phone. Only when I go on trips and such do I use my cell phone.

I spend about $50-100/ year making phone calls (home and cell combined).

I am not talking about using phones almost from another generation. I like a lot of the modern features. Keep in mind that the BlackBerry Torch was the first smart phone to pass the Acid Test, making it the first smart phone deemed capable of performing all necessary browser functions. Although the groundbreaking phone was the 9800, I own the 9810, which has all the 9800 features and then some. I like the small screen and pocket size too. I don't understand all the hubbub with the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy.
Tony The Tiger
darthrevan wrote:
blueray wrote:
I do like the big screen of Samsung Galaxy III than IPhone 5 it is.
The mobile phone was now provide much more information than the one. A suitable screen size are required for more easily to access the information provided.


I definitely agree, a decent size screen is a must, especially if you use to to browse the Internet with when you aren't at home with a computer.


I use my phone to do an occasional email, read twitter, and check scores via the score mobile app (as well as to communicate via traditional telephone technology). I don't use the browser that much. A bigger screen would not be that big a deal for me.
sysna
i think 4.3" or 4.8" is really a good number for screen size, i love 4.3" screens more than 4.8" because i can work with 4.3" screen phones with only one hand but working with 4.8" it is really hard for me to do all things with only one hand.

by the way sometimes a 2.8" screen is a lot good to but not for watching movie for a phone to make calls and send sms only.
Tony The Tiger
sysna wrote:
i think 4.3" or 4.8" is really a good number for screen size, i love 4.3" screens more than 4.8" because i can work with 4.3" screen phones with only one hand but working with 4.8" it is really hard for me to do all things with only one hand.

by the way sometimes a 2.8" screen is a lot good to but not for watching movie for a phone to make calls and send sms only.


My BlackBerry Torch has a 3.2" screen. I would not mind something closer to 4, but I have no problems with its size.
darthrevan
Tony The Tiger wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
blueray wrote:
I do like the big screen of Samsung Galaxy III than IPhone 5 it is.
The mobile phone was now provide much more information than the one. A suitable screen size are required for more easily to access the information provided.


I definitely agree, a decent size screen is a must, especially if you use to to browse the Internet with when you aren't at home with a computer.


I use my phone to do an occasional email, read twitter, and check scores via the score mobile app (as well as to communicate via traditional telephone technology). I don't use the browser that much. A bigger screen would not be that big a deal for me.


Yeah if you don't use it for a lot of browsing then it would be fine.
Radar
darthrevan wrote:
I definitely agree, a decent size screen is a must, especially if you use to to browse the Internet with when you aren't at home with a computer.


Interesting. why? Because you don't have to squint, because it just feels better, or because websites aren't designed for small screens? I'm curious.
Tony The Tiger
Radar wrote:
darthrevan wrote:
I definitely agree, a decent size screen is a must, especially if you use to to browse the Internet with when you aren't at home with a computer.


Interesting. why? Because you don't have to squint, because it just feels better, or because websites aren't designed for small screens? I'm curious.


Now many website designers have specially designed mobile versions of their web pages. This type of design eliminates the need to squint at handheld device page views.
milkshake01
I use a Galaxy Note 1. I don't really mind needing to use 2 hands to operate it.
welshsteve
It's funny isn't it? Mobile phones begun as big brick things, and for years companies like Nokia started making smaller and smaller phones. Then smartphones came along in the public domain and ever since screens are increasing in size all the time. I use a HTC Desire S which has a 3.7 inch screen, and can be operated (texting/email/browsing etc), with one hand. The Galaxy SIII and HTC One X are huge, and as for the Galaxy Note, well I've seen a couple of people using these as phones, and they look ridiculous. Far too big.

The one thing above all which I think is good though is that us consumers have a choice. The top smart phone makers such as Samsung and HTC still make scaled down smaller models for people who prefer to be able to hold their phone comfortably in one hand.

I am a website developer for a local sports league, and I have built a specific mobile friendly version of the website which users are re-directed to if the site detects they are using a mobile device.
andro_king
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I am noticing that the Samsung Galaxy III is becoming very popular even though its screen is so much larger than most other smartphones. I believe that the iPhone's screen size was increased to the limit of one-handed thumbability for most people and beyond the limit for many. Do most people feel comfortable with smartphones with screens so large that two hands are required to operate them? What direction are smartphone screens headed. I am working with a BlackBerry Torch 9810 and I feel pretty comfortable with its small screen. I can work the whole thing with one hand when necessary. Is this smartphone design going to be a thing of the past?


Do you guys know ? Samsung galaxy S3 mini has been launched !
Tony The Tiger
welshsteve wrote:
It's funny isn't it? Mobile phones begun as big brick things, and for years companies like Nokia started making smaller and smaller phones. Then smartphones came along in the public domain and ever since screens are increasing in size all the time. I use a HTC Desire S which has a 3.7 inch screen, and can be operated (texting/email/browsing etc), with one hand. The Galaxy SIII and HTC One X are huge, and as for the Galaxy Note, well I've seen a couple of people using these as phones, and they look ridiculous. Far too big.

The one thing above all which I think is good though is that us consumers have a choice. The top smart phone makers such as Samsung and HTC still make scaled down smaller models for people who prefer to be able to hold their phone comfortably in one hand.

I am a website developer for a local sports league, and I have built a specific mobile friendly version of the website which users are re-directed to if the site detects they are using a mobile device.

When you design mobile versions of websites is your concern the speed with which a page loads or the ability to comfortably read the content of a loaded page. If it is the latter, what resolution do you design a mobile version to be suited for. 1080 pixels? 720 pixels?
riteshk1
I am using grand and i don't think so i can use comfortably my phone and big screen phone is looking nice in hand or they have lots of smart features.
abhinavm24
nothing greater that 5 inch is ok.
Vanilla
abhinavm24 wrote:
nothing greater that 5 inch is ok.


5 inches is already too big for me. I believe the ideal size for me in 4 inches. I hate the idea of having to buy a touchscreen phone, I want real buttons! I'll buy a Sony Xperia M (tis going to be released here in the next moth) with a 4 inches screen and a decent configuration. I hate having to spend money on a cellphone, I prefer to spend on a more powerful computer (which is my next buy).
Tony The Tiger
riteshk1 wrote:
I am using grand and i don't think so i can use comfortably my phone and big screen phone is looking nice in hand or they have lots of smart features.

What the heck is grand?
Tony The Tiger
Vanilla wrote:
abhinavm24 wrote:
nothing greater that 5 inch is ok.


5 inches is already too big for me. I believe the ideal size for me in 4 inches. I hate the idea of having to buy a touchscreen phone, I want real buttons! I'll buy a Sony Xperia M (tis going to be released here in the next moth) with a 4 inches screen and a decent configuration. I hate having to spend money on a cellphone, I prefer to spend on a more powerful computer (which is my next buy).


I am pretty sure, I have less than 4 inches. I have the BlackBerry Torch 9810. I am holding out hope that a bigger hard drive comes with future iPhones, but as things go to the cloud, the demand might not exist.
william
Tony The Tiger wrote:
riteshk1 wrote:
I am using grand and i don't think so i can use comfortably my phone and big screen phone is looking nice in hand or they have lots of smart features.

What the heck is grand?


I'm guessing a Samsung Galaxy Grand which has a 5" screen. Seems like it's only available in India and South Korea.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
riteshk1 wrote:
I am using grand and i don't think so i can use comfortably my phone and big screen phone is looking nice in hand or they have lots of smart features.

What the heck is grand?


I'm guessing a Samsung Galaxy Grand which has a 5" screen. Seems like it's only available in India and South Korea.

I have heard of the Samsung Galaxy 3 or maybe 4 I think. I have never heard of the Grand, but then again, I don't live or shop in either India or South Korea.
telseq
cybersa wrote:
Most of the people like to operate in one hand.
But also they want some big screen to watch good videos.


Thats right!
zimmer
i preferred a normal size on a phone on my size of hand is 4.5 inches only. Other than this it would be big on my hand and my pocket.
Vanilla
Last year I bought a Nexus 4 (4.7 inches screen) and I've confirmed: 4 inches is enough, 4.7 is too big for me. But I've grown accustomed to it, even if sometimes I need to use both hands to type/do anything with the phone. The bigger screen allows me to read ebooks more comfortably or to watch videos and catch all the details without the need to turn on my computer. And it also fits my pocket, which I think is the most important thing a cellphone should do. Razz
StriderVM
In my experience. Anything smaller than 4 is too small for me now.

While bigger than 5 inches is too big for me.
playfungames
I remember a time when mobile phones were really big. They were getting smaller and smaller with every new release. Now, they are getting bigger again. I can see people using Galaxy Tabs and other phablets. They bring out such huge devices and take pictures like it is something normal. I even see some people making calls using such huge devices and ear phones. I prefer a smartphone which is less than 5 inches. My current one is 4.7 inches
schermann
You should go into a shop and/or ask friends to hold their smartphones.

i owned a iphone 5 with 4" screen and a iphone 6 with 4,7".
4" can be used with one hand, at 4,7" you can't reach every part of the screen with one hand.

I prefer a friends 4,3" screen size, which is bigger than an iphone 5 screen but still usable with one hand (for me).

Try yourself what is best for you.
alvarorojas4
for me he perfect size is from 4.5' to Maximum 5' (And even 5' is too big for me)
Possum
To me the size of the screen depends on where I am.

At home the larger screen is way better. But when I'm out or at work I need a small form factor like the clamshell.

I just wish there was a way for me to have 2 SIM cards that pointed to just one account..

Home or Out...With the home phone having precedence over the Out phone SIM.
Possum
Maybe in the future we could have more than one phone attached to an eSIM

Large screen phone at home..

Small one when out,,

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/07/16/apple-samsung-carriers-working-together-on-e-sim-standard-for-mobile-data-plans
Related topics
SMU: sigs for sale
Windows Tips&tricks!
Is it possible, can you build your own laptop from scratch ?
form button to open a custom sized new window
Xbox 360 vs PS3
statistcs
WYSIWYG mode
PSP Games (POST YOURS AND YOU OPINION ON THEM)
Please help. I have a problem with installing FreeBSD
Count script or something else...
Fixing the screen size in Vector Linux on Laptop
Alignment and screen size
Web Pages and Viewer's Screen Size
Custom Buillt to order laptop
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Hardware and Electronics

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.