FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why should I like Rap?

ato784
For the most part I can enjoy a good rap secession in my community with people I know and about topics that I enjoy hearing about. What I do not understand is main stream Rap, all about f-ing their girlfriends and being a "badass" and so forth. Can you explain to me why people like this music?

no disrespect meant, I was just wondering.
darthrevan
ato784 wrote:
For the most part I can enjoy a good rap secession in my community with people I know and about topics that I enjoy hearing about. What I do not understand is main stream Rap, all about f-ing their girlfriends and being a "badass" and so forth. Can you explain to me why people like this music?

I don't understand rap either. I don't like rap myself. I am a fan of Rock music, atleast Hard Rock, but not to hard LOL. I like some metal, but not a lot. Rap is all about lust, drugs and such to me and it seems to be growing too much. I don't see rap as music, maybe because it seems to be made from computers, instead of true instruments. That is just my opinion though, so don't take it offensively anyone.
tingkagol
I'm more of a rock fan myself, but I do enjoy rap once in a while. The last rap album I really liked was Common's "Finding Forever" which was like 5 years ago.

Quote:
I don't see rap as music, maybe because it seems to be made from computers, instead of true instruments. That is just my opinion though, so don't take it offensively anyone.

First of all, rap IS music. And that includes any other genre that relies heavily on computers, samples, etc.

Second, people like rap music for a couple of reasons:
  1. The beat. MOST IMPORTANTLY. I don't have stats on this, but estimating 90% of its listeners like it because it has a good beat (usually a beat to dance to) is not too far-fetched.
  2. Lyrics. To be quite frank, a lot of the lyrics is sh!t. That's just a fact in rap. Preference-wise, I haven't heard anyone who likes a rap song particularly because it has lyrics that go "ya cud find me in da club, bottle full of bubb mama I got watcha need if ya need ta feel tha buzz" or "my niggazz don't dance we just pull up our pants and do tha roc-away, lean bakkkk lean bakkk lean bakkk" or "to tha windooowwss! to thaaa flooor! Til tha sweat drips down ma balls, all these bitches crawl, skeet! skeet! skeet!". I do however see people, including myself, like rap for its storytelling and humor. A lot of it is bordering toilet and quite offensive (see Eminem's Marshall Mathers LP), so if you're a prude and don't want any of that in your lyrics, you will hate this particular kind of rap. Then there are the poets, rappers rapping about serious stuff (see Common, Lupe Fiasco, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, early Kanye West (believe it or not), Jurassic 5, Fort Minor, etc.) I like that stuff a bit too.
  3. Rapping style. There are lots of styles, but the most successful rappers have one that differentiates them from their peers especially in a genre that could sound all too similar at times. Jay-Z has a very distinct voice and diction, Twista raps over a beat like a machine-gun, Del the Funky Homosapien plays with intonation while rapping, Chali 2na has the most recognizable low voice, etc.
  4. The game, the swag, the culture, the (whatever). Gangsta life. Some people like rap because the culture fits in with their lifestyle.

I usually like a rap song based on the first 3, but never the 4th.

I barely listen to rap anymore, hence the dated rappers referenced. lol
Josso
Nah I see what he means if it is just battling with no beat that stuff was around before rap was really called rap. And maybe it isn't quite music, it's almost comparable to poetry. I think of the straight up acapella stuff more as like new age poetry. They used to call it "lyrical" in some areas. All about being the most inovative and 1upping the other guy across from you so some concepts do survive into todays popular culture rap. Unfortunately consumerism always alters art forms so the mainstream stuff is almost always lame. When fitting into a business template you compromise the at least the lyrical content. But this idea of being an "alpha male" and 1upping the other guy is really been integrated in all kinds of hip hop and rap since day 1 sadly. Some people don't play that game it has to be said but this 1upping has merged with the mainstream hip hop in the form of oh look at me with the $$$$ and the flashy cars. That wouldn't be the type of thing they were boasting about back in the days on the street corners.

Few street corner battles I have seen someone will have portable speakers with a long like 10 min beat, each person does a 32 or whatever - but also there are still original ones just with two guys total improv no flow kinda thing so thankfully the underground still delivers and always will do. Like any genre once a serious commercial aspect becomes integrated with it - the art form itself is in a way compromised. The best we can do is SEARCH and DIG for the real music out there, spend a couple of hours on discogs researching people that are related to people you already like. Similarly if you want a film to watch go to imdb, spend a while clicking through related items until you find a golden jewel on your treasure hunt.

Anyway maybe a bit off topic but hopefully someone agrees with at least some of what I am trying to deliver here.
tingkagol
Yeah, I think the genre "rap" has long evolved from the true meaning of the word. I do think there are notable rappers who are lucky enough to bust into the mainstream. So searching the underground for "good rap" isn't necessarily the case, unless of course anything you see labeled "mainstream" makes you sick to your stomach. I suspect that happens to a lot of people and it kind of takes the joy of just listening to music for what it is, not concerning oneself if it's been receiving radio airplay or whatnot before you decide to listen. This by the way isn't exclusive to the rap/hiphop genre. It's all-encompassing across all genres.
Blummer
To be honest I started hating mainstream rap because of it's new beats, I don't like these modern minimalistic beats and dumb melodies. I understand the second one is not a basic thing in rap, but it has started to sound really boring. I've quit listening to anything new after 2003. And I can clearly recall everything that was before that. Even those mainstreamers in early 90's have been more honest and didn't have that much discussion of how they were "f-ing their girlfriends and being a "badass". Laughing
tingkagol
Blummer wrote:
To be honest I started hating mainstream rap because of it's new beats, I don't like these modern minimalistic beats and dumb melodies. I understand the second one is not a basic thing in rap, but it has started to sound really boring. I've quit listening to anything new after 2003. And I can clearly recall everything that was before that. Even those mainstreamers in early 90's have been more honest and didn't have that much discussion of how they were "f-ing their girlfriends and being a "badass". Laughing

Yeah, I actually can't stand the new rap/hiphop stuff on the radio these days. Not so much about dumb lyrics, but mostly about the instrumentation. It's just too much synth and autotune for my tastes. Back in the 90s and early 2000s, the beats were more soulful to the point where you could not differentiate it from RnB.

As for lyrics, I can't really tell which era made more sense than the other. To me it seems any era of rap is as dumb/smart as the next.
likeabreeze
As to rap, you should concentrate less on the content of the song, but more on the rhythm,
you'll find that rap is really energetic, people can gain much energy from the song,
do you know that during the 2008 Beijing Olympics, where Michael Phelps acquired eight gold medals, he listened to Lil Wayne's rap music I'm me, he's living proof that rap music can inspire one's potential.
And there are many people who benefit a lot from rap music, you can check out some essays on this topic at This I Believe
for example,
http://thisibelieve.org/essay/103713/
http://thisibelieve.org/essay/19535/
http://thisibelieve.org/essay/22626/
Blummer
While discussing lyrical content we should consider that rap has been an enormous supporting solution for people to express their political or social priorities. So basically there are two main topics in rap - political/social and party/sex oriented ones. Correct me, if I'm wrong. There are some other minor topics. Eminem was actually responsible for depicting a story (for the first time in rap music, I believe) of how he hates his wife, in one of his tracks, called Kim - the whole track is about how they are having this word fight.
darthrevan
I figured my reply might spark some arguments, but I just don't like rap, and I see other kids listening to it and I think also that they are trying to fit into the others that listen to rap as well. Kids that are in High School wanting to be "cool."
likeabreeze
darthrevan wrote:
I figured my reply might spark some arguments, but I just don't like rap, and I see other kids listening to it and I think also that they are trying to fit into the others that listen to rap as well. Kids that are in High School wanting to be "cool."

undeniable that some people just wanna follow others.
but there are even more true rap enthusiasts.
darthrevan
likeabreeze wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

undeniable that some people just wanna follow others.
but there are even more true rap enthusiasts.

Probably so, but I would say that the ones I see are just followers also. Just to try and fit into a crowd and be just like them instead of their selves.
tingkagol
Blummer wrote:
While discussing lyrical content we should consider that rap has been an enormous supporting solution for people to express their political or social priorities. So basically there are two main topics in rap - political/social and party/sex oriented ones. Correct me, if I'm wrong. There are some other minor topics. Eminem was actually responsible for depicting a story (for the first time in rap music, I believe) of how he hates his wife, in one of his tracks, called Kim - the whole track is about how they are having this word fight.

That's actually one of the tracks I was alluding to earlier. That particular Eminem album was one of the most entertaining rap albums I've listened to, albeit inappropriate and a bit insane. It's also worth noting that "Kim" has a bit of a back story in his previous record, although chronologically in reverse, in the track "'87 Bonnie & Clyde" where all he does is talk to his daughter, the way anyone talks to a toddler, on the way to the dock to dispose of his dead wife's body.

Eminem's definitely one of the more creative rappers in mainstream rap today. I could not remember any other rapper who is as good a storyteller as he is. Although for some reason I could not get into his new music.
chartcentral
General answer to the thread title ("Why should I like Rap?"): One reason you should like rap: Rap unleashes the person's ability to come up with rhymes, especially when they do it freestyle. Non-rap songs may also have rhymes but with rap, the songs are usually more wordy. Thus rappers have to be more creative in the lyrics (not necessarily the tune though).

Another reason would be: The genre has some of the fastest talkers/rappers in the world. You'd be impressed at how fast they can say things without stuttering and missing a beat. It needs a lot of skill to become a real good rapper.

ato784 wrote:

Specific response: I stay away from that kind of rap. I'd rather listen to rap songs with sensible lyrics and not about sex, drugs, fame and cash. So from what I read from your post, I say you're in the "good kind" of rap. (But that's just me. Other people may have different opinions on the matter, and I do respect that.) Smile
Blummer
I personally miss old times and adding all those themes to rap doesn't improve it over that old school. In mainstream music they tend to go back and use old music as their basic inspiration. I hope something like this will happen in mainstream rap. I believe your fans are what you are. So it's up to performer to control the way they think. If you have influence on people who love your music, you can make the follow whatever you preach, so one should definitely think of using more complex lyrics which encourage someone else to improve their intellectual level.
starsoft
but the most successful rappers
fuzzkaizer
success and quality are two different things. success is no prove of good quality, neither is good quality a guarantee for success. this also applies to rap music. so success can be eliminated as a relevant argument on the original question.
deanhills
fuzzkaizer wrote:
success and quality are two different things. success is no prove of good quality, neither is good quality a guarantee for success. this also applies to rap music. so success can be eliminated as a relevant argument on the original question.
Well said. A person who is great at rapping is not necessarily a successful one. Takes plenty of promotion, and good luck too, to become successful. Also to have the right agent. Take for example the rapper below, can't understand why he never got to be a famous rapper. He is really good at it.

shashwatblack
i know, right? i hate that as well.. nicki minaj, and lil wayne and other artists.. i don't understand how they even sell out..
but i do listen to some rap, eminem, linkin park, fort minor..
i like their rhyme, i hate everyone else's more.. Wink
Iceaxe0410
I'm not really a fan of rap. It has some appeal if you're looking to listen to a certain type of rhythm that you can dance to. While some rap songs do actually have deep lyrics and meaning behind them, I find many of them don't. Or they are about things that I cannot relate to. Then again, neither does many pop songs. Just useless random topics that don't particular carry much meaning other than to just provide a consistent beat and rhythm. Some songs, the lyrics and meaning just don't matter much. I think I tend to lean towards rap like Eminem's songs. He's one of the few that I don't mind listening to.
grofet
Personally when i listen to a music i don't really care with the lyric. As long as the sound is good, i like it. So basically i like all music genre and i hate bad songs
Pande
I'm curious what you think of the songs by Aesop Rock?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aesop+rock&oq=aesop+rock&gs_l=youtube.3..35i39j0l9.6828.8028.0.8112.10.10.0.0.0.0.132.912.4j5.9.0...0.0...1ac.1.KoUU-YCORpk
sysna
because i don't like rap so i can't give you any reason why you should like it !
capricornis
no real reason, really Smile
welshsteve
You shouldn't LOL I don't like rap, but no reason why you shouldn't. Not everyone can have the same tastes. The world would be boring if that was the case.
RoylanM
You shouldn't like rap. I don't like it because of all the lyrics talking about penis and what their girl friends did to them (nasty). Rap used to be clean and simple. I'm going to stick with Hyperaptive Raps. At least he has clean lyrics.
codegeek
When it comes to rap, I only listen to select songs by Eminem. Some are pretty nice. Like "When I'm gone".
lkglacier
ato784 wrote:

It really depends, I think. For me, I was exposed to the genre growing up as a kid, so I naturally find it pleasant to listen to. I feel like it's mainly popular for the catchy beats and the quirky rhymes. I don't think (at least I don't hope) a person would listen to the genre just to hear about some of the disturbing things described in the songs. But eh, maybe some people like to hear about that, and even relate to it on some levels. Who knows. I just know my reasoning is partly due to me listening to it for as long as I can remember, plus some rap has some very inspirational lyrics that aren't about ****** your girlfriend, shooting people, etc.

It kind of feels like the genre is going downhill now. I agree that it used to be a lot better back in the 90s and turn of the millenium.
XchaosX
I love hip-hop and rap. I like old school stuff more stuff from late 80s on to 90s through 2005 stuff really sucked when they started putting elements of Rock in it. I will listen to any as long as it sounds good.
75alex
Mainstream rap mostly sucks, so you would not have any reason to like it. However some Rap is good, try Asher Roth "G.R.I.N.D", Matt Easton "Kryptonite", or Art Of Verse "Marvel At The Stars" Wink
zimmer
ato784 wrote:

Rap is nice. em and em i guess is the most famous rapper but i still like the Rasta Man BOB MARLEY..
copac23
I like good hiphop beats, and if they come with a nice rap flow i love it, makes me wanna move/dance, thats why I and u should like (some) rap music
SpaceInvader75
I enjoy rap with more original lyrics. I like some of Eminem's raps (although I haven't listened to him in a while) and who doesn't like ICP? lol

http://youtu.be/q3I2EVNE7Ms

(That's the video for Halls Of Illusions)

I noticed the lyrics were edited, unfortunately. Smile