FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is the point of Frihost Ranks?

likeabreeze
What is the point of Frihost Forum Ranks?
I would say it is just an indicator of the posts an user has had.
But, in the user's profile section, the number of the posts is clearly shown.
So, Frihost Forum Ranks is of no use.
But, here are threads like this one,
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-143512.html
in which people are excited about their rank improvements..
That's understandable because the rank image has something to do with our personal appearances.
looks so bad.
while looks so cool.
well, I really hope Frihost can differentiate all the ranks by assigning different privileges to the users, except giving them different rank images.
RosenCruz
Those images exist almost on each forum, providing users some status in the community, more than functionality.
Ankhanu
Aye, ranking is a common to most forum, and is built into the phpBB (and others) code. Board admins can adjust the ranking names and thresholds to suit their desires, or turn them off entirely.

The point, it offers some users a psychological incentive to post; posting is like gaining XP, and every so often, you go up a level... sense of accomplishment. To most, it's completely inconsequential.
deanhills
likeabreeze wrote:
I really hope Frihost can differentiate all the ranks by assigning different privileges to the users, except giving them different rank images.
Great suggestion. What privileges did you have in mind?
Josso
deanhills wrote:
likeabreeze wrote:
I really hope Frihost can differentiate all the ranks by assigning different privileges to the users, except giving them different rank images.

Nahhhh more like responsibilities.

I suggest annual jousting competitions to be held when we get another Knight in the kingdom Laughing

Also what Ankh said
deanhills
I'm still curious to know what privileges he had in mind though. Particularly since I haven't seen ones before in any of the Forums I'm posting at. I can't think of any either apart from responsibilities.

I still have this farfetched dream of making all regular posters with 2000 plus posts Spam Generals. So they get a button with which they can send spam posts to a quarantine database. So those critters never get any time to dig their feet in to the point where innocent people are responding to those. Any way, probably too many suggestion threads about spam. Right now I'm focused on making posts.
likeabreeze
deanhills wrote:

thanks for your question.
one of the ideas I have got:
To differentiate the deduction rate of points.
the current policy is "Every day, 1 Point is deducted from all hosted members", in the future, "the higher the rank, the slower the deduction rate of points".
just like, New Member: 1 point/day|Frihost Wannabe:0.93 point/day|Junior Frihoster:0.86 point/day|......|Elite Frihoster:0.51 point/day.
For the users with high rank, the user stickiness has been formed, so it's understandable to slow down the deduction rate of points.
but for the new members, they need to post here more.
-------
also, there are other privileges like the increase of disk space/bandwidth, which, however, is not likely to come into effect...
darthrevan
likeabreeze wrote:
deanhills wrote:

the current policy is "Every day, 1 Point is deducted from all hosted members", in the future, "the higher the rank, the slower the deduction rate of points".
just like, New Member: 1 point/day|Frihost Wannabe:0.93 point/day|Junior Frihoster:0.86 point/day|......|Elite Frihoster:0.51 point/day.
For the users with high rank, the user stickiness has been formed, so it's understandable to slow down the deduction rate of points.
-------
also, there are other privileges like the increase of disk space/bandwidth, which, however, is not likely to come into effect...

This would create a spike of posts then it would slow down when people get to the rank where they hardly have to show up anymore.
deanhills
likeabreeze wrote:
deanhills wrote:

-------
Sounds like a great idea there. I like it. And from the rank of Knight upwards, no deductions .... hehe .... Very Happy

Seriously though, not a bad idea. I really like it. It will symbolically match the higher rank as well, sort of appreciation for having made those number of posts too.
likeabreeze
darthrevan wrote:

This would create a spike of posts then it would slow down when people get to the rank where they hardly have to show up anymore.

I don't thinks so.
there is user stickiness between high-ranking users and Frihost.
they like to post here, not only for the points, but for fun.
and, the deduction rate isn't that slow, actually..