FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Adding a picture

nickfyoung
Can anyone tell me how to add a picture to a post. Many do and it would be handy sometimes.

There is an Img tag above but I can't work out what it does.[/img]
Afaceinthematrix
Code:
[img]URL[/img]

For example, I want to post the image of the forest found at this URL:
http://scottblanton.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/forests.jpg

(make sure that the picture ends with a .jpg, .gif, or .png (there are a few other file extensions for images but those are the most common))

And, so I will type this:
Code:
[img]http://scottblanton.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/forests.jpg[/img]

And the product will be:

If you see a picture on a website, you cannot put the URL of the actual site, you have to put the URL of the picture. To do that, right mouse click on the picture, go to properties or view image - depending on your browser, and you will see the URL. If you do that to the picture of this forest (right mouse click, then go to properties or view image - depending on your browser), you will see:

And that is what you will put in the image tags.
nickfyoung
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Code:
[img]URL[/img]

For example, I want to post the image of the forest found at this URL:

(make sure that the picture ends with a .jpg, .gif, or .png (there are a few other file extensions for images but those are the most common))

And, so I will type this:
Code:
[img]http://scottblanton.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/forests.jpg[/img]

And the product will be:

If you see a picture on a website, you cannot put the URL of the actual site, you have to put the URL of the picture. To do that, right mouse click on the picture, go to properties or view image - depending on your browser, and you will see the URL. If you do that to the picture of this forest (right mouse click, then go to properties or view image - depending on your browser), you will see:

And that is what you will put in the image tags.

Thank you for that. I will try it out and see how I go.
deanhills
OK here are my steps for doing it:

1. When you find a picture on the Internet right click over it. In Mozilla Firefox when you right-click over the picture you'll find an option that says copy image location (there is also copy link location but don't click on that - has to be image location). Then select the copy link location - which will save the image location. In Internet Explorer when you right-click there won't be the above options, you have to go down to "properties" (the last option) and you'll find the link in there and need to copy that link.

OK you're now armed with the link to the image.

2. In Frihost, paste the link in the post where you want it.

3. Select that link by dragging your mouse or cursor over it. And after you've selected it click on the "Img" tag in the tools above the post window. It will then show with the image tags before [img] and after [/img] the link. You can also manually insert them of course.

4. If you want to check whether mission has been successful, click on the preview button below the post box.

5. Then continue the post or submit it.
nickfyoung
deanhills wrote:
OK here are my steps for doing it:

1. When you find a picture on the Internet right click over it. In Mozilla Firefox when you right-click over the picture you'll find an option that says copy image location (there is also copy link location but don't click on that - has to be image location). Then select the copy link location - which will save the image location. In Internet Explorer when you right-click there won't be the above options, you have to go down to "properties" (the last option) and you'll find the link in there and need to copy that link.

OK you're now armed with the link to the image.

2. In Frihost, paste the link in the post where you want it.

3. Select that link by dragging your mouse or cursor over it. And after you've selected it click on the "Img" tag in the tools above the post window. It will then show with the image tags before [img] and after [/img] the link. You can also manually insert them of course.

4. If you want to check whether mission has been successful, click on the preview button below the post box.

5. Then continue the post or submit it.

Thank you for that too.

I spent hours yesterday trying to get a table to post. Tried all sorts and eventually gave up. Limited knowledge is a bit frustrating at times.
deanhills
nickfyoung wrote:
I spent hours yesterday trying to get a table to post. Tried all sorts and eventually gave up. Limited knowledge is a bit frustrating at times.

Think all of us have been there. It's a learning curve like getting on the bicycle for the first time - and it never stops.

If I were you, I'd take a print screen of the table. I.e. make sure the table shows in your screen. Then select alt (to the left of your space bar) and hold it down, and Print Screen (at the beginning just after the function keys). Once you've done that you'll have the print screen in your paste memory.

If you're starting from scratch with image software, you can use Paint software that is available in the accessories of your Windows (Start-Programs-Accessories). Select Paint. Then paste (just right-click and select paste) the print screen and the print screen will come up in your Paint window. You may need to crop the print screen to get rid of the areas around the table. There is no cropping tool in Paint, but there is a selection tool, make sure you are clicked on the select (square) tool in the tool bar to the left of the Paint window and image. Draw a box around the table with the select tool, then copy that by right clicking over the box. Create a new file in Paint by selecting, File, New and then paste the cropped image in the new file. Then save it as a jpeg file. You will have a jpeg image of the table without all the other stuff surrounding it.

Next step is to have an image host, so they can host a library of your images that you want to use in the Forum. I use Imgur (as well as my Website at Frihost). Imgur is really easy to set up and use. You can even drag and drop images from the Website into your Imgur account. You can start an account very fast:
http://imgur.com/

There is an option in imgur where you can upload the jpeg file from your computer to imgur. Once uploaded click on the file, and it will provide you with a few links. One of which you can use for the forum - look for the one that has [img] [/img] tags. Paste it in your post and check preview.

It is a bit long-winding, but the nice thing is that there is always a way to do it. Print screen is probably one of the neatest features of Windows for copying anything that shows on your computer screen. I use it all of the time.
nickfyoung
deanhills wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:

Think all of us have been there. It's a learning curve like getting on the bicycle for the first time - and it never stops.

If I were you, I'd take a print screen of the table. I.e. make sure the table shows in your screen. Then select alt (to the left of your space bar) and hold it down, and Print Screen (at the beginning just after the function keys). Once you've done that you'll have the print screen in your paste memory.

If you're starting from scratch with image software, you can use Paint software that is available in the accessories of your Windows (Start-Programs-Accessories). Select Paint. Then paste (just right-click and select paste) the print screen and the print screen will come up in your Paint window. You may need to crop the print screen to get rid of the areas around the table. There is no cropping tool in Paint, but there is a selection tool, make sure you are clicked on the select (square) tool in the tool bar to the left of the Paint window and image. Draw a box around the table with the select tool, then copy that by right clicking over the box. Create a new file in Paint by selecting, File, New and then paste the cropped image in the new file. Then save it as a jpeg file. You will have a jpeg image of the table without all the other stuff surrounding it.

Next step is to have an image host, so they can host a library of your images that you want to use in the Forum. I use Imgur (as well as my Website at Frihost). Imgur is really easy to set up and use. You can even drag and drop images from the Website into your Imgur account. You can start an account very fast:
http://imgur.com/

There is an option in imgur where you can upload the jpeg file from your computer to imgur. Once uploaded click on the file, and it will provide you with a few links. One of which you can use for the forum - look for the one that has [img] [/img] tags. Paste it in your post and check preview.

It is a bit long-winding, but the nice thing is that there is always a way to do it. Print screen is probably one of the neatest features of Windows for copying anything that shows on your computer screen. I use it all of the time.

Thank you for all the tips guys. I will have a play and see if I can learn something.