FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Romnesia

handfleisch
Looks like Obama is done playing Mr. Nice Guy. First he nailed Romney in the second debate, calling out Romney's "sketchy" economic plans, and now the president has coined a new word for Romney's ever-changing positions: "Romnesia".
deanhills
I really don't like name calling. Sort of really undignified to me and looks desperate if a candidate has to resort to that extreme to beef up his election campaign. Not that I'm a Romney fan, I just don't like these kind of "tactics". Just imagine the millions of dollars that are being invested in the election campaigns, thinking up slogans like that. And what those dollars could potentially have meant if they had been donated to environmental projects, or jobs for poor people that Obama claims he has been helping so much. Does feel like an enormous paradox.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
I really don't like name calling. Sort of really undignified to me and looks desperate if a candidate has to resort to that extreme to beef up his election campaign.

I've gotta agree. I don't think that the money that was spent on writers and campaigners to come up with such BS would have gone somewhere better, it likely would have been maintained as some sort of profit, or used in some other aspect of the campaign (e.g. publicity, not effective use).

The "Romnesia" junk is smear campaign, plain and simple. It's a cowardly and reprehensible tactic, and one virtually ALL politicians use. This one does nicely demonstrate Romney's incohesive, pandering stance on several subjects (I'll say what audience X wants to hear!), but it's a pretty weak play. I'd love if all politicians could resist the urge to stoop to this sort of ad hom, but, they are people, and people are petty.
handfleisch
Ankhanu wrote:

I've gotta agree. I don't think that the money that was spent on writers and campaigners to come up with such BS would have gone somewhere better, it likely would have been maintained as some sort of profit, or used in some other aspect of the campaign (e.g. publicity, not effective use).

The "Romnesia" junk is smear campaign, plain and simple. It's a cowardly and reprehensible tactic, and one virtually ALL politicians use. This one does nicely demonstrate Romney's incohesive, pandering stance on several subjects (I'll say what audience X wants to hear!), but it's a pretty weak play. I'd love if all politicians could resist the urge to stoop to this sort of ad hom, but, they are people, and people are petty.

I've gotta disagree. In the first debate, President Obama was criticized as being too nice, too indirect, too soft. Now he is fighting fire with fire. He can't take the high road if it leads to losing. And as a "zinger", it's pretty mild. I say good for Obama to frame the debate in ways people will understand and FOUR MORE YEARS.
Ankhanu
He's not fighting fire with fire, he's slinging mud. There's a difference between playing hard ball and just throwing mud. Yes, it's mild, but it's still pathetic.

Know what's even better than name calling? Hard facts, honesty and integrity.

"Romnesia"... brilliant, Mr. Nobel laureate.
handfleisch
Ankhanu wrote:
He's not fighting fire with fire, he's slinging mud. There's a difference between playing hard ball and just throwing mud. Yes, it's mild, but it's still pathetic.

Know what's even better than name calling? Hard facts, honesty and integrity.

"Romnesia"... brilliant, Mr. Nobel laureate.

Sorry but Al Gore, Jim Kerry and Jimmy Carter all lost because they didn't play hard ball to the GOP's likewise tactics. And you even admit that it's mild, so I don't see the big deal. You want Obama to use Mr Nice Guy tactics that have failed in the past. He won't and we need him to win so that's good.
Ankhanu
handfleisch wrote:
And you even admit that it's mild, so I don't see the big deal.

A drop of piss on your hand is better than a full on stream... but it's still piss on your hand.

handfleisch wrote:
You want Obama to use Mr Nice Guy tactics that have failed in the past. He won't and we need him to win so that's good.

I said nothing about Mr. Nice Guy tactics... I commented on using name calling as a shitty tactic, and it is. He shouldn't play Mr. Nice Guy... nor should Romney... but he should be strong, honest and have integrity. Play hard, but play clean.